Art: 'Production Art' for Maltese Falcon (class project)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

'Production Art' for Maltese Falcon (class project)

The was a group project in my illustration class. Each group picked a movie that my teacher wrote on a piece of paper out of a hat. Each member of the group had to do one panel of production art and be graded as a group. He was grading on of course the illustration, but also consistency among the group.

the movie we drew from the hat was The Maltese Falcon (humphrey bogart murder mystery if you don't know what it is). My panel was a shot that we all felt should have been in the film but wasn't (we were allowed to do stuff like that).

we had someone in our group who half-assed it and sabotaged our grade, so overall we got a B+. so frustrating.

'Production Art' for Maltese Falcon (class project)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is a great painting........ shame you guys only got a B+.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The mood of the piece is good, and I like that you created the sort of on-location esatablishing shot that is rare in 40's studio pictures. Something is odd about the perspective,though.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, michaelmeina. it is a shame... but that's what you get when you do group projects and are forced to work with people who don't give a sh*t.

elwell: thanks... that's exactly why we put that shot in, and i'm glad i got the mood about right (we were keeping it all kinda dark and creepy. noir meets sleepy hollow). you're right about the perspective, but i can't figure out why. i've reworked bits and pieces to try and fix it, but i guess not *shrug*. i've gotten that comment from a few other people, too. i probably won't rework it any more, but i'll try harder to keep on track with my perspective next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is always one jackass in a group
    looks nice, only perspective looks off. Maybe you should lower the back half of the ship.
    cheers R3M

"FAIL, FAIL AGAIN, FAIL BETTER"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the front of the ship that's off the most. Especially the left side. The hull tapers out and widens toward the top, but the text is leaning inwards. The bow lights are also unevenly placed. Count the bars on the railing, and you'll see the starboard light is placed under the 3rd bar, and the port light is placed under the 12th bar. There are other things too, but if you start looking you'll notice. The rest of the piece looks great, but since the focus is on the front of the ship, I would say that's why the perspective problems become so evident.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.