Art: 7/01 -* Paintings at top - *update on bottom!

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

7/01 -* Paintings at top - *update on bottom!

I plan on updating this post with more oil paints and other things in the next few weeks (that means months in my world), but here's one for starters.
    An idea I sketched some time ago that I always meant to do in oil. I have found I have a hard time translating the spontaneity and raw energy of sketches to "finished" painting. As of now I have dealt with that by treating the drawing/sketch and painting as two different images. I'll post both to compare.
    oil on linen : 18" x 24"

sketch

I apologize for the terrible photo. Just couldn't get a decent pic, so when I borrow my friend's camera I'll post a quality picture.
    For now : "ridiculum" - 18"x36" oil on masonite

Posted a thrown together process of this painting in the sketchbook section :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...t=49761&page=4

CGSociety Challenge - digital

detail

6.5.06 : just some digital practice with an old sketch . I guess not the most original character but it was fun

6.30.06 - OK -here's two more for the gallery show opening July 7th at
    the Roq La Rue Gallery in Seattle. If anyone is in the area that night, please stop in and say hello! Would love to meet any fellow CA.orgers. Also it would be worth your while to check out the other 2 artists I am showing with : Audrey Kawasaki and Myna Sonou. I got to see some of the new stuff they did for this show and it is amazing and very beautiful. I'm going to look like a chump next to them!

dirty flower
    oil on linen
    22"h x 12"w

the Phantom Forest
    oil on linen
    22"h x 28"w

There are some more in the show, but I can't remember what I've posted here and what I haven't. I hope to see some of you there July 7th!

Last edited by loomer; July 1st, 2006 at 11:39 AM.
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful, scott!
    really, one of your coolest images.
    the colors on the elephants head are so nice.

a few things id double check:
    the tusks look uneven rather than in perspective,
    & the ears dont seem to hang properly.

though, in a weird way, i find those inaccuracies really charming.
    on second thought, leave them.

Last edited by DSillustration; May 16th, 2006 at 12:55 AM.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scott,

awsome man! love the elephants face. And the birds in the sky are charming.

I agree with the DS's comment on the tusk perspective.

I think the childs pose could be more dynamic though, like leaning back gaining momentum, but thats just my personal preference.

I can't wait too see more.

- Rob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh so lovely. I really like all the colors and the detail of the elephant. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH!!!! Scott! will your son marry my unborn baby girl?
    This is soo great!! Like Dan said those colors and the texture on the elephant is really great. and that blue!! that blue is just soo nice.
    Lovely Scott. you are lovely!!!
    -T

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry maybe I should correct that.... un-conceived baby girl. lol!

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very magical loomer! I honestly love both...but the sketch is beyond words. I think the sketch doesn't have the problems that DS Illustrated, and the variety in the background draws you in, but doesn't distract.

I think I'd really like to see the painting in person. I can see some of the variation in the background, but I know there is a lot of depth there as well.

Great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by poise
    OH!!!! Scott! will your son marry my unborn baby girl?
    -T
    Congrats on the bun in the oven! Although, judging from your reputation, I have about 15 potential fathers to congratulate too.

Scott, this is fantastic. You managed to keep the charm of the sketch and the elephant rendering is beautiful. What's not sitting well with me is the colors in the boy's head in comparison to the body, the saturation seems to be pulling negative attention than positive. Love the composition, the birds leading us off the canvas look great.

Dutton Guest
    Hey Scott!
    Love the colors in the sky, the textures of the elephant's skin, and the skin tones in the child's feet! I can see what you mean about the sketch versus the oils. One of the things that's really giving the sketch some momentum is the position of the elephant's trunk. It's arching at the top as the boy is being thrust forward, whereas I think the trunk in the oil version is a little more at a rest position. The child sits a little lower as well in the sketch, creating this great S-shape curve from the trunk leading into the figure.... almost creates an invisible arch leaping off the right end of the page. I think you bring back a lot of the energy and movement with the addition of the flying birds though.... that's a great touch.
    Great work on both pieces!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice piece, however, the child and the bird on the elephants head may need some more reference, since the elephant is so photographic.. either "mess up" the elephant some or tighten up on the other things..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome Scott!! This is so sweet! I especially love the way the doves/birds in the right corner transcend back into space and ambiguity.
    Love it!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your work is gorgeous!
    i would have to say though that the sketch has a more dynamic feel to it... the elephant is giving the swing momentum and almost seems like it has a grin on it's face....the painting lacks this.
    technically beautiful execution of the elephant.
    the birds are a nice touch!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I've seen better. Try a bit harder next time, eh?

pld:

Pete

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know a perfect place to hang it. Its on a wall pretty near to my house..well, truth be told the wall is in my house. Then you can come and check it out once in a while Like its been said - really charming, mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Scott.
    Actually, these two images are not the same event, so to speak.

In the oil painting all is happening in bright sunny day, and in the sketch I personally prefer to think, it is a middle of night with this wonderful lighting from the mood and dreamy background. In the sketch everything is surreal, indefinite and in slow motion, The elephant is surreal too, projecting its head from nowhere, probably in the middle of the dream of the child. I especially fell in love with the background, how suggestive, slipping from the touch, how mind controlling it is. It is breathing on it own, such a magic. it is like a dream, impossible to grab, so not stable. I love those sharp highlight on the elephant trunk and naked legs of the child. And colors of course too, lilac, purple and grey, very indefinite and light combination, leading my thought to the back of my head to memories . And the one more thing to notice, everything is transparent in the watercolor painting. All these mentioned leads to one impression, magic, not real happening, dream.

And in oil painting you went with totally different approach. very definite background, immediate association with bright new day, delightful, but very awaking feeling. the birds, there are a lot of them, they are bright and very energising too, you can imagine them being pretty noisy, and it was silence in the sketch, maybe just monotone, calming squeak of the moving swing.

You removed the wonderful foreshortening and now the elephant is more real, it has boundaries, it was coming from nowhere before. Its outline and the child's outline is much more definite, very sharp, not blending with BG in the same way as before. All this is very awaking. Boy looks older and as a very active child, not the passive dreamer as in the sketch.

The head of the elephant is beautiful. It looks older and less participating in the playing, it looks more passive, it is probably because of the angle and position of its head on the painting, no eye contact.

So. I'm saying if you wanted to give the painting new delightful, energetic feeling, you got it. I would love to see more details on the oil painting, maybe the hints how lovely view under feet of the playing boy.

But if you wanted to go with mystic mood, I would think the manner of your favorite artist Thomas Wilmer Dewing would be what you need, melancholic, indefinite textures and suggestive, not finished figures.

http://www.vertechinc.com/archive/music7(3)/dewing.htm
    or more monochromatic version
    http://noldnara.com/bbs/data/gallery...pinet_1902.jpg

Beautiful images, but very different in moods.

All the best to you and yours. Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fan-Tas-Tic work Scotty boy.... I loved this sketch when I saw it and am very glad that you brought it to life. Great job thanks for sharing man

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    niiice! lovly painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dan - Haaa..wait...wuh? what should I do?
    Yeah man..I see what you are saying. Damn you have a great critical eye.

romance- Totally agree with you. First thing my wifey said when she saw the picture and I couldn't agree more.

Chemical Akuma - thank you!

poise - Haa..now that you posted that everyone is gonna think you got all preggers. Thanks lady...I think just knowing you has motivated me to be a better artist. Cheers

Sundance - "I think I'd really like to see the painting in person." - You can take a trip to Seattle in July and see it there Yeah..some of the depth is lost in the photo. When I get a chance I'll post a better pic. I agree..the sketch has a bit more life

AmishCocky - because of the blue BG?

strych1900ine - oh my!? did you insult our CA.org flower, poise? cool
    Yeah man..i see what ya sayin. Why don't you back off!?! Just kidding, thanks for that

Dutton - Hey bro! Totally good observations there. I'm going to make it my mission this summer to try and keep the energy from the sketch to the painting stage. It' s been such a hurdle for me.

Main Loop - Great great point man. I thought of that after...I should have went more expressive on the elephant...Thanks man

Yumiko -Hey Jess ,thank you. Glad to see you're posting art again. You are too good not too

rivka - Totally agree. Thank you

SummerPeteyPudding - Now that's something I can totally agree with! You crazy man!

Fellah - Haa..Can you imagine this little cutesy sweetsy pic chilling with all your sickass deranged creatures and freaks around? By the next day the elephant and child would both be slaughtered.

Sve - great points. Thanks for the long reply. I have a few different versions of this painting in my head. Who knows...perhaps someday I'll feel the need to try another version out. One in fact, was indeed monochromatic, and i think it could be a better piece. Perhaps I'll find out one day.

vigostar - thanks man! Working hard ?

wakazou - thanks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man! That new one just got me going!!! I really love that! My first impression critique is the girl seems to be falling forward rather than moving forward.

If this one is going to be on show in Seattle come July...I'm buying a ticket!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the new one's really cool man, very interesting imagery. you been busy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little girl wading through a sea of blackcurrant cordial. There's an impish, slightly unnerving vibe running through a lot of your work, that reminds me of Roald Dahl's writing (Charliie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach etc). Have you ever thought about making your own children's book?

Pete

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posted CGSociety Challenge entry up top with first post

Sundance - thanks buddy!a few people mentioned the extreme lean of the girlie.

cotron -thanks duder - yeah.been plugging away and away and away

Pud' - totally. I don't know how my writing abilities are, but i would love to at one point. I'm trying to stay focused and just concentrate on one market at a time, but I definitely want to branch out and do children's books. And of course...if I could summon a decent story..my own book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    6.05.06 - just a tiny update. Is it OK if I keep the images together at top, or is that annoying?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your digi work is really getting tons better... Cant wait for Friday to roll around so that I can learn how to use PS. Great work... See you wednesday

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the painting of the small girl and the guys with the big hats! It i really cool. The colors are very good and I especially like the idea. You have put a lot of imagination on it. The elephant is good too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scott--

The digital stuff is gorgeous. Such an understated palette that really suits your work. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scott. Hhaha! awesomeness!!
    I love the new digital peices. man your little boy is such a cutie.
    The Elf face is Awesome, but he looks like he is going to fall over. It's because he's an elf, being all crazy and off Kilter all the time, because he's magical. haha. I'm a nerdo
    Keep up the Goodies.
    And I don't mind the Grouped Posts.
    -T

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that oil is quite nice, i really like the mood and flesh color.. glazing huh? gotta get into that.. perspective looks really wierd on that airplane, but i like the rest of it.. actually the wierd perspective tends to go with the mood of the piece.. elf looks like he may be leaning a little too far.. good work, cant wait to sketch with you in MTL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.