Violence...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Violence...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Violence...

These three images were done as part of an independent study in digital imaging here at USM. I wanted to create a series of images that reflected on the theme of violence and how we perceive it. I used this project as an opportunity to really experiment with stuff that I should be more accustom to but, unfortunately, am not. The figure and dynamic gesture were a main challenge here as they're both elements that I'd consider myself a little week on. Because of this, I think it'll be a little while before you see another monster out of me. I think it shows how harmful doing too much of one thing for any extended period of time can be.

Anyway, attending a fairly "modern minded" fine arts program doesn't really give me the chance to receive any considered, aesthetically minded, technical feedback as it does here at conceptart.org so I'm interested to here what people think.

This first image was done fairly quickly as I wanted the important elements within it to retain a certain looseness. I wanted something that looked a bit like a classic Spaghetti Western movie poster.

Violence...

This piece is another relatively quick one where I really just wanted to comment on corporate handling of the media. I’m probably impressed with this one the least out of all of them.

Violence...

And finally, a piece where I really tried to push a lot of difficult elements such as dynamic lighting, dynamic gesture and stable composition. I looked a lot at italian renaissance paintings and wanted to suggest subtle reference to the equestrian victory statue and typical renaissance paintings where multiple figures were contorted in a tangle of limbs and interconnecting forms. I sort of wanted the modern translation of the medieval melee.

Violence...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your style...nice work

T

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dag nab it! I just did a large crit and quick reply ate it!

I'll have to come back later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig the fire on the last piece and howit reflects on to the shield. I'm not a big fan of how the colour is used on the faces of the 2nd picture, way to much pink happening there! Go look at some movies that have people in fires (or next to) and see how colours work with them.

Cheers
    R

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate the feedback, everyone.

Dogfood. Thanks. I look forward to a good ass-kicking.

DStudios: Thank you. It's good to know my efforts have been paying off with the lighting. You're right about the skin tones as well. They'd be fairly muted in contrast with such a strong light source in the background. I've since changed the highlights to a more subtle brown and darkened the foreground significantly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dag nab it! I completely let this slip. Sorry about that.

OK, first off, the media application is very exciting. In several points, it makes the pieces work.

1. The inconsistant hairyness and counter-logical line weights are hurting this one. The arm hair ending halfway down the arm (and it's not reading well as hair) makes it seem like he shaves the backs of his hands and his wrists (which some of us do, but that's beside the point). The hair is echoed in the sky, which certainly unifies the image, but in so doing, makes things a tad unnerving. And with the line weight being so heavy on the far figure and light on the near, it is giving some perspective miscues. Also, the lefty's pinky is twisted way around.

2. The sky in this one makes my goose bumps honk. The figure work is hurting it, but the abnormalities on the reporter are working for the piece, while the victim could just use some work (with his clothing, too). His stance seem a bit stiff and his pose is just not reading right.

3. This one's missteps are the strongest only because it has the most going for it. The horse and rider are so sweet, but the other figures are lacking some natural flow, just seeming a bit stiff. The guy laying nearest the fire seems far more like he should be on the beach (especially with the cast hand shadow not matching with the obvious light source). With the shield cop, he appears to only be striking with his arm, which removes some of the believability from his pose (the rest of his body is just hanging out).
    From a composition stand point, I'm not sure if the two main foci aren't too close to the borders and are lacking a good path around. I'm not convinced things aren't working, but I start to lose the flow around the horse head. I don't know.

Cool stuff!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.