IDW 0010 - Deep sea colonisation vessel [VOTING]

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Which of these vessels do you think will make it in the new frontier worlds?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nii

0 0%
  • Flip

0 0%
  • J.Mac

12 35.29%
  • Goran

15 44.12%
  • shiptonator

0 0%
  • atomicsushi

4 11.76%
  • yAdam

3 8.82%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey guys. Well done this round. Ok its time to vote - please keep the topic and rules in mind, and note that your votes are public.

Topic: Deep Sea Colonisation Vessel

Background:
    Years in the future, space expansion has become par for the course as the human population is allowed to boom unchecked. What took a few thousand years to drive the humans off Earth now takes only hundreds... exploration and colonisation of new planets is essential to the continuation of the race.

As humans expanded out into the universe, they found that a large percentage of planets previously undiscovered were in fact richly endowed with resources, and stable atmospheres. Many of these planets were 'water giants' - planets comprised of over 65% fluid surface.

In order to colonise these planets with a minimum of losses or insurrection, automated deep sea colonisation vehicles were designed and constructed.

Brief: You are to design a vessel capable of fully automated self construction and expansion underwater. It should be able to construct a small colony able to hold up to 100 colonists. It should have some means of self defense, appropriate underwater propulsion and depressurisation systems and so on. The rest, is up to you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Nii

-------------

Flip

ColonInc's latest deep sea colonising vessel - Doug - has been developed for planets with molten cores. It deploys massive drills to bore to the planet's center. Meanwhile Doug docks above and is supplied with a plentiful source of energy. Depending on the composition of the molten core the cooled elements may be used for construction purposes by the work gangs of droids (droids sold separately, batteries not included). Doug can be maintained as a power station after colonisation is complete, however remember to renew your contract as failure to do so will result in the shutting down of all Doug's systems remotely. In such a case, or in the unexpected failure of Doug's systems, all colonists should be wary of unabated molten flows as, in some cases, they can be detrimental to health.

-------------------

J.Mac

-------------------

Goran

-------------------------

shiptonator

-------------------------

atomicsushi

dozens of survey probes are sent out in advance to locate ideal sites on foreign planets to colonize (usually to mine natural resources). upon positive confirmation of a site, the chosen survey probe drills itself into the ocean floor becoming a "seed". a signal is then sent back up to the automated orbiting construction satellites which then in successive order release giant canisters into the atmosphere, which plumet into the ocean. at point of impact with the water, the canisters are designed to break apart, each releasing thousands of autonomous pre-fabricated component pieces. the self-powered mobile component pieces are then instructed to seek out the "seed's" locator beacon. these component pieces combine into various forms to match the needs of the particular colony's schematics. (there is a redundancy of 30% to account for damaged and/or unrecoverable component pieces).
    within a few months, the colony/mining facility is up and running, ready for the arrival of the first colonists.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

yAdam

The deep sea colony pods are pre-made on the distributor ship, in orbit around the planet that has been chosen for colonisation. The ship’s path is preset and operations fully automated as the crew leave to create other colonies. The ship enters the planets atmosphere as slowly as possible to minimise any damage that might occur. After landing in the ocean the automated defenders are deployed to patrol the surrounding areas. While the defenders are a necessary precaution the planets are under surveillance for any aggressive indigenous life for a certain amount of time before colonisation begins. The pods are on a time release and have their own automated vehicle to create the colonies. When they are fully connected a signal is sent to let the new colony members know that the pods are ready. The distributor ship can then leave the planet and go back into orbit to wait for the groups to arrive.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New round is on Here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

atomicsushi

I loved Goran's piece, the whole idea of the vessel curling out and anchoring to the ocean floor; but I voted for atomicsushi because his concept was worded out and that made me grasp it slightly more than Goran's.

I also just loved the look of the cell-style pieces that congregated to the build up the main body of the colony!

Great stuff everyone, sorry I couldn't enter. :-p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nii - Cool concept, I had trouble understanding it at first. Very unique design, Kudos

J.Mac - Cool vessel, Like the edgy and agressive look that half-cirlcle at the end looks a bit wierd though.

Goran - Super fine! The "blueprints" at the left just blew my mind, very nice touch.

atomicsushi - Very nice! Like the style and the very simple color palette. Don't se that kind of stuff that often here on ConceptArt...

yAdam - That thing looks like it could survive a head on collision with the moon. Very solid, bad ass, wished the lines where I bit more smoothed out (you know?) I understand that the rought lines help give the picture energy and a "rough" feel. but maybe a little more detail and smoothing would make it look even better.

yAdam got my vote

My Sketchbook
    "Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind, the race is long, and in the end, it’s only against yourself."
    Photoshop color picker | Adjusting tablet sensitivity: Manually or Utility

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goran steals the show...

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Atomicsushi becuase it is one of the most original rendering styles i have seen on this site, and because it actually shows the colony being constructed. Outstanding.

JMac was second for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nii yours looks cool, but I have trouble understanding it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by glynn james
    Nii yours looks cool, but I have trouble understanding it.
    Too late for description I was in a rush may be later not in the mood right now.

SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goran - Your nautilus idea is really good, it's surely not going to be in the near-future, but hey, Titan's a looong way from earth, till we'll be colonizing it I'd bet we're gonna be having such technology.

Members who have read this thread: 2