View Poll Results: How well will the PS3 do?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent! Sony takes over. Blu-ray absolutely becomes standard.

9 14.06%
  • Like the PS2, most gamers get one, has the most/best games.

20 31.25%
  • Okay, but there's better consoles to get.

17 26.56%
  • Failure, blu-ray is new beta max, a handfull good games, slow death.

14 21.88%
  • Complete failure, Sony's game division pretty much dies.

4 6.25%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: PS3 success?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts

PS3 success?

How well will the PS3 do?
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; May 14th, 2006 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I dunno.. I know i will be getting one eventually, to play games like metal gear solid and final fantasy.

(and lets not forget all the ps/ps2 games i already have - both my ps1 and ps2 are dead...)

Thanks
    Is that a trick question?
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    It's a poll, maybe the thread shows up before the poll though.. took some time for me to write.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    LOL....sorry Prom...my post was meant to be sarcastic

I can't say it will do badly....but I have read a lot of views from across a few gaming forums and I believe it won't do as well as they hope it would. Nevermind what the fanboys say. Biggest sore point is the amount of difference between the 500 and 600 dollar systems and apparently you cannot upgrade it. 500 bucks is a lot of money...but the lack of options to allow you to add on later to make it equal to the 600 option is ridiculous.

Thanks
    I really dont think sony will have to do much to get the biggest sales again, despite the crap games that have been announced (apart from a couple). More than anything, sony just seemed really lazy this E3. Maybe they thought it didnt matter, and they're probably right...It could do really shit though, but i'd be very suprised.
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    i was talking to my friend, Sartell on here, and we decided that despite the fact the ps3 is inferior to the xbox360 as far as hardware goes, and despite the fact that it doesnt have the sheer inginuity that wii has, the game library on the ps3 will cary it above and beyond the other two systems.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocate of Fate
    despite the fact the ps3 is inferior to the xbox360 as far as hardware goes,
    Are you kidding? PS3 has TWICE the computation capability compared to the X360. Hardware wise it is the most powerful among the 3 console contenders. The downfall of the PS3 will not be its hardware or its games. It will solely be in the hands of Sony's marketing "geniuses".

Thanks
    Is a hard question to answer, PS3 has a good selection of games for my taste, so I will get one eventually, at least me and my brother will ( to make up for the cost). All though i think the price is set for people whoo is to impatient and will probably order it right away, the price will go down fast after a couple of months.( if the sony marketing team is smarter than a gerbo)

Game selection aside, Sony is bringing people down latelly, not only as a gaming company. Sony is slowly dying, but in a 20 year proyection...that means that they might blew it big time for a PS5 or 6.

Take into consideration than PS is an entertaiment product, not only for gaming, that adds some points, plus the fact that is compatible with PS and PS2 games.

Other than that, I never, in my entire life, cared to much for the Nintendo franchises like Zelda, Mario or Metroid, and the Nintendo systems are made moslty for kids.

But PS3 won´t do as good as the PS2, maybe not even half as good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    Are you kidding? PS3 has TWICE the computation capability compared to the X360.
    Uh.

No it doesn't.
    Where did you get that idea?

Anyway,
    PS3 will obviously do well. People will buy any Playstation console at this point, even if its a cow which its not. Its fast, and will have games lots of people like. However, I think it will be much more even with the other consoles. PS3 is more expensive, is pulling some pretty silly voodoo trickery with the features (the 20gb model wont even have wireless controller support). Their version of Xbox Live wont do nearly as well considering its still up to the developer to handle the connections. So while it will definetly sell, past the rush of early adoption, people who are looking at the features might hesitate.

This will also have next to nothing to do with games. Every console (like the previous generation) will have excellent games that fanboys of each console will ignore.
    Last edited by wassermelone; May 14th, 2006 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Missing Option:

"Like the PS2. Most people will get one because Sony will release the highest volume of games which appeal to the lowest common denominator."

That's not to say the PS2 didn't have some great and even some quirky games. That's just not what made it successful. The Playstation established Sony's place in the market by being the best console of its generation. The PS2 succeeded in spite of being the worst of its generation because it rode on the coattails of the Playstation. The PS3 will definitely be successful, more or less by default at this point.

Whether or not Sony maintains their lead is going to depend on Microsoft and Nintendo and how they market themselves. Both companies have the hardware and licensing agreements to pull off a big win this generation. The question is, can they get the word out to the consumer? They couldn't last time, even though they both had stronger hardware offerings. Microsoft had far better online playability.

But Nintendo banked too much on their first party properties (which were the most successful games on the system, but that's not enough to take a market lead) and Microsoft just couldn't woo enough developers to challenge the PS2 (and they completely died in Japan, which will probably happen again).

I think Nintendo has the best chance of challenging Sony with their revolutionary hardware design and a huge library of downloadable content for the hardcore gamers (the vast majority of gamers are in the generation that grew up playing NESes and SNESes so nostalgia is a safe bet for some profit potential). But Nintendo doesn't seem to want the market lead. They're profitable every generation and that's enough for them, like Jim Davis, I think they're content to be wildly profitable without making any enemies.
    -------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Thanks
    Just see the points as a 5-1 success scale with 5 and 1 being extremes. I couldn't cover everything I wanted with the poll anyways.

Regarding backwards compability, I think the price is going to play in in Wii's favor. The people who skipped the GC (probably owning a PS2) might get a Wii to also check out the older stuff they missed on the GC. With the PS3 price, people might not be so eager to get it for the backwards compability, and chances are they already have a PS2 and PS1.

/wild speculation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wassermelone
    Uh.No it doesn't.
    Where did you get that idea?
    From most of the review sites that you also have access to - minus the highly pro sony or pro MS articles. Plus personal point of view from friends who are developing for PS3.

Alright so its not twice as powerful, but its almost there.

Edit: I honestly don't think backward compatiblity is an important feature in consoles except in the first year of launch when there isn't much of anything to play with.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast