Wii success?

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: How well will Wii do?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Complete success, changes gaming, your grandma buys one.

23 32.39%
  • Quite good, has some troubles but puts N in a sure lead.

33 46.48%
  • Okay, but not all that in retrospect.

8 11.27%
  • Pretty bad, remote controller doesn't work well, too slow for the competition.

4 5.63%
  • Complete failure, Nintendo will get in serious trouble.

3 4.23%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wii success?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Wii success?

How well will Wii do?

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fanboyism aside (as much as possible for me!) I think it is impossible for the Wii to do worse than the gamecube did. Therefor it doesn't "fail" by default.
    That aside, I think the Wii will be very successful. Talking about 1st 2nd and 3rd is very hard to do right now, but I do strongly believe that the Wii will have a very strong fighting chance to gain 2nd or 3rd place worldwide.
    E3 had nothing but positive reports for the Wii, even PS3 and Xbox360 fans at least acknowledged that this years E3 was won by Nintendo. You should have seen the queue's! People wanted to play!!

Of course, every console has it's ups and downs, pros and cons. The Wii will not sell to every house-hold in Europe, US and Japan. However, realistically I do strongly believe the Wii will be hugely successful. And fucking fun!!

peace

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if anything this technology means that everyone will know about this system. And when it comes time this fall for parents to choose between a PS3 and a Wii, I think the choice is clear.

300-400 dollars cheaper?
    Child-friendly games?
    My kids will be more active and won't be vegging on the couch all day?
    Huge backlibrary of titles that I used to play way back when?
    Where do I sign up?

I also think that anyone who fits into the general gaming demographic (which, these days, lands the majority of gamers between ages 20 and 40) people aren't going to want to take a chunk out of their salary or skip their rent payments to pick up a PS3, especially with the lack of quality titles it's looking to have at launch.

Then again, I said the same about the PS2 way back when, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think thats definately the case easytiger, its the most appealing out of all three next gen consoles....

Yeah cai theres no way it can do worse than the gamecube. Its good reading comments from sony and microsoft, pretty much telling people to go and buy a wii.. although i might be tempted by a 360 in a couple of years...

Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I think the Wii will kill on christmas season. Just for the 300 dollar cheaper deal. also, anybody can play the Wii! It's so far the most ingenious out of the 3 consoles. .....I CANT WAIT! ok..ok i need to chill..yea... god i love the Wii!!!!!

Don't get me wrong i'll still buy a ps3.... just after my wii!

¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am almost dead set on getting a wii. The only system from nintendo ive owned was a snes, but the wii is catching my eye imensly. The price, the controler, the possibilities, and the games simply get my all giddy inside.
    i just wish mgs4 and assasins creed were coming out for wii. Then i wouldnt have to blink twice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's nothing that's going to stop me from getting a Wii, even if the PS3 debuts at $50 bucks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These polls make the same false assumption -- that the success of a game console is related to its quality in any way.

Let's face it, the Dreamcast was one of the best consoles ever released, but fat lot of good that did against the Sony hype machine.

Will the Wii change gaming? It already has.

Will the Wii make a tidy profit for Nintendo? Of course, Nintendo always profits every generation.

Will the Wii become the market leader? Does anybody really care? Does Nintendo even care? They don't seem to most of the time.

-------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doesn't Nintendo do this with every system they ever come out with? Wait six months to a year after the competition comes out. I can only hope the the PS3 and Wii launches aren't the disasterous dissappointment that was the 360. With a new super mario title, and the legend of zelda as launch titles, i will find it very hard to pass up, especially since this console will be affordable.

Does anyone know how much access to the old nintendo library will cost?

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nofingers
    Doesn't Nintendo do this with every system they ever come out with? Wait six months to a year after the competition comes out. I can only hope the the PS3 and Wii launches aren't the disasterous dissappointment that was the 360. With a new super mario title, and the legend of zelda as launch titles, i will find it very hard to pass up, especially since this console will be affordable.

Does anyone know how much access to the old nintendo library will cost?
    Rumors I've heard indicate that the games will be priced based on which console they originally appeared on with prices expected to be something like:

NES = $3
    SNES = $5
    N64 = $10

I have no idea how reliable those numbers are, but that seems like a good price point to me. It's not so much money as to encourage people to download ROMs instead, but it's enough to probably make some profit after deducting the cost of porting/serving.

Clearly, Nintendo wants to make their money on volume rather than margins as far as downloadable content goes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still have that Metroid Prime game I won in the ThunderDome. I'm not able to play it cuz it's American region and I don't have a GC anyways. Will the Wii be region free for GC? Is it possible with the PAL/NTSC deal going on?

MEP> It is of course impossible to tell how well any console is going to do at this stage, not even the well paid marketing guys at the big companies know.

The poll merely asks how well people here on CA think the console is going to do on a scale from 1-5. The text is just so you know what the rating is worth. I should have numbered them. It'll be interesting to see in retrospect how right or wrong the polls were. It's a pity that you can't see who voted on what so you can rub it in their face later .

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It will be a success. The Wii is not a completely new console like the PS3 and Xbox 360. Comparable to these two it's more of an hardware upgrade to the GC (some of the first dev kits were just GC's with a non-cordless Wii-mote, as you can read in some articles and interviews). So Nintendo will probably make money on the hardware from the start and did not have a R&D budget as big as Microsoft and Sony. And Nintendo doesn't have to depend on high software sales and other stuff to compensate for that. In addition the Nintendo DS is still growing so that gives Nintendo two consoles that make money while the other two companies are still investing money in their console.
    And since Nintendo has been chushed by the original PS it has slowly been growing and will at some point (in my opinion) surpass it's old glory (NES and SNES times). And there are a lot of third party developers who believe in the console (compared to Nintendo's last two consoles) so there will be more games.

Nintendos success at E3 shows that gamers like the console and with their aim to spread their userbase into the non-gamer sector they seem to beonly missing the 'average gamer' who likes shiny graphics and the next EA Madden game. If everything goes as Nintendo hopes/plans then Wii could end up to win the 'most consoles sold' race against PS3 and Xbox 360.

Last edited by _Mario; May 15th, 2006 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mario
    The Wii is not a completely new console like the PS3 and Xbox 360. Comparable to these two it's more of an hardware upgrade to the GC (some of the first dev kits were just GC's with a non-cordless Wii-mote, as you can read in some articles and interviews). So Nintendo will probably make money on the hardware from the start and did not have a R&D budget as big as Microsoft and Sony. And Nintendo doesn't have to depend on high software sales and other stuff to compensate for that. In addition the Nintendo DS is still growing so that gives Nintendo two consoles that make money while the other two companies are still investing money in their console.
    I would venture to say that the Xbox 360 is nothing more than a hardware upgrade over the Xbox. I mean seriously, where's the innovation in that thing? It's just a faster PC than the last Xbox was.

The PS3 is the same thing, a faster PC than the last Xbox was. You read that right. It's not an upgrade of anything Sony has done. The Playstation was cobbled together in haste (still a good system, and I still have mine, but it really was thrown together last minute). The PS2's bandwidth-heavy memory-light architecture was unlike any game console before (but similar to the way graphics workstations used to be made) and the development hurdles on that platform were the primary reason why the game line up was filled with losers for the first year.

The PS3 is more in line with MS's philosophy of console architecture -- build it simple, make it PC-like, give it plenty of power. There's nothing wrong with that, but there is nothing about the PS3 that is revolutionary as far as the hardware is concerned. Sony needs 3rd party devs to revolutionize for them this time around, because nothing in their hardware or software lineup looks any different from last generation except for the number of polygons they're pushing to the screen.

Meanwhile, Nintendo has been focusing on real innovation, which is never really about processor speed, though it sometimes requires more power. Nintendo has asked questions about how games are played and how they should be played. Their early experiments in this new area were all conducted on old hardware (hence the GC-based dev kits), but that's a good thing. It means Nintendo did their homework before commiting themselves to the Wiimote. I'm glad they tested these ideas on old hardware because it indicates they've been working on this for a while. The Wii is not just an upgraded GC, even though the ideas were first tested on an old GC. The hardware is significantly more powerful than last generation, and I think the visuals so far are a testament to that power (I like how Nintendo always puts more focus on lighting and particle effects than on polygons, there's so much more bang for your buck visually that way).

And Nintendo's pricing model will be the same as everybody else's. Sell the hardware at a loss (which I imagine is pretty significant for Nintendo at their current price point) and make up that loss in software. There's a significant amount of R&D capital in the Wiimote. That's far harder to develop than the simple speed upgrades that are in the in the PS3 and 360.

Sony and MS are simply taking advantage of Moore's Law this generation, there seems to be hardly any R&D at all like it's almost a passive process this time for them. Some of the software changes in their core OSes are neat, but hardly revolutionary at this point in time (especially for a company that develops OSes as it's primary source of revenue). Nintendo has put more effort into this generation than either of them and hopefully, the changes they've made will get enough developers excited just to try them out that we'll get some great 3rd party titles for a Nintendo console, which is the one thing the GC really lacked (it had some, I know, but not near enough).

I'd say the Nintendo is taking a Dreamcast sized risk this time around, but Sega didn't have the GameBoy lineup and the DS to save them when their ahead-of-its-time console tanked (nor did they have Pokemon or any of the other half dozen things that are profitable for Nintendo).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I meant was that the GC dev kit was used as a Wii dev kit so it really looks like a hardware upgrade. They managed to make the Wii so small, I've seen books that are bigger . So the basic hardware (Processor, RAM, ...) looks more like a 'simple consistent upgrade' than the 8 processor cell octopus or the 3 core 360. Wii devs seems to have an easy transition from the GC dev kits while 360 devs need to get used to the three cores and PS3 devs get even more fun with 7 subcores and a even funkier architecture than the PS2.

That's what I meant when I wrote that the Wii is not a totally new console. The programmers get more without having to learn new tricks. For the other two consoles it's not that easy (from the reports). I wasn't saying that the Wii has no new things, just that the programming seems to be easier for it. The Wii-mote and the online service look like they are both a nice evolution from the Nintendo DS (new controller and online capabilities).

And IIRC SONY paid alot for the Cell becaus they want to use it for more than just the PS3 (there was an article about the first Cell workstation for some medical stuff some months ago).
    Sony and MS may just be using newer hardware but it looks like Nintendo has done a better job at 'upgrading' their system. It seems to be easier to work with and smaller and the network capabilities will probably be better than the DS (connectable with DS, Connect24, Opera on board from the start, virtual console). It just looks like Nintendo has been fine tuning the Wii with their knowledge of the GC and DS. The two big ones are finghing to get the best possible hardware in their boxes and Nintendo just took something that is better than the last generation but doesn't force them to create a console the size of a truck or where the cooling system is loud (as read about the 360). Their system looks like an upgrade because they are not going for the overkill hardware but for what they need and want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard that all the N consoles were consistantly around 200 at launch (not counting inflation). True? Will N go for 200 again?

The online thing might play in a lot. MS has a good headstart there with XBLA, and maybe some 'killer app' will appear for them there, attracting people to that service and the 360. They already have Geometry Wars. N better not underestimate the online thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Playing devils advocate, here, which means something as I somehow get pegged as a big N fanboy. (I guess I am. Eh?)

At the very least, they definitely have the same market that bought the GC. That's a lot of Nintendo fans and a lot of parents. And by this showing, it's obvious they've won a lot of extra support from gamers who would usually be indifferent. So, hey, at worst, I think it's going to do good. The lack of Smash at launch, and possible lack of Mario Galaxy could sting...but c'mon. Everyone loves Zelda.

And about the graphics. I hope I'm not the only person that noticed from all the videos online (even though they're low quality online vids, I know,) that despite the OMGS EXTREME LACK IN HARDWARE IT SUCKS LIKE A GC that the graphics on the Wii just look good? I didn't see any stray, obvious triangles, and the effects looked great. As artists, especially a lot of us wanting to be concepters in the industry, I think we should all be pretty well aware that how nice a game looks isn't really measured in polys and effects, but instead art direction and skill.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggles
    Playing devils advocate, here, which means something as I somehow get pegged as a big N fanboy. (I guess I am. Eh?)

At the very least, they definitely have the same market that bought the GC. That's a lot of Nintendo fans and a lot of parents. And by this showing, it's obvious they've won a lot of extra support from gamers who would usually be indifferent. So, hey, at worst, I think it's going to do good. The lack of Smash at launch, and possible lack of Mario Galaxy could sting...but c'mon. Everyone loves Zelda.

And about the graphics. I hope I'm not the only person that noticed from all the videos online (even though they're low quality online vids, I know,) that despite the OMGS EXTREME LACK IN HARDWARE IT SUCKS LIKE A GC that the graphics on the Wii just look good? I didn't see any stray, obvious triangles, and the effects looked great. As artists, especially a lot of us wanting to be concepters in the industry, I think we should all be pretty well aware that how nice a game looks isn't really measured in polys and effects, but instead art direction and skill.

I'm a PROUD Nintendo fanboy!! : ]
    No shame in it at all!

peace

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonfox
    I'm a PROUD Nintendo fanboy!! : ]
    No shame in it at all!

peace
    I kinda like the label, the more I think about it. I mean, c'mon, why NOT be a Nintendo fanboy? I've got hundreds of good memories with them and hardly any bad ones. Seriously, where have they gone wrong? The powerglove? Scoff. Virtual Boy? Wasn't even a horrible console, just the cost and the technology were unreasonable. 64's cartridges might of lost us Square, but hell, I got me a PSX and still loved 64. So, you know, unless you just plain don't like cartoon characters or they threaten your masculinity, the score here is like 100 good memories to 2 bad ones.

Sony has like...2 good things (PSX and PS2) and Microsoft...eh. Windows. And some Flight sims...and some gadgets I can't remember that never took off. I love my Playstations, but c'mon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the Wii graphics are suffiecient for gameplay. I'm constantly annoyed by how screenshots from games are taken from angles you don't use when playing, Homeworld and RTS in general does this a lot, but FPS too (characters posing perfect in the foreground). When you actually play an RTS you don't have the camera at ground level with a few cool units in the foreground. You play as far zoomed out as you can, topdown, and then, IMO, there will be no significant diffrerence between the Wii and the other consoles. In the heat of battle in a FPS you might not notice much difference either. With a skilled texture artist you can make up for a lot. 20 meters away all that fancy displacement mapping, highrez textures and whatever counts for nothing.
    The Wii will lag behind when it comes to the amount of enemies and physics stuff going on though.
    I think I typed this before... got a strange deja vu feeling.

Anyways, I still can't decide between voting "okay" and "good". I think that even though Wii seem to have potential, Sony and MS will still present a strong challenge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a console designed to open up the game market and dissolve the stereotypes that this industry currently suffers from, which is a positive thing - almost revolutionary in fact
    But sucess depends on the range of game types and the marketing of the console as a simple, low cost machine that anyone can use and enjoy. In my opinion calling the device Wii is a stroke of genius as it has already marketed itself well outside of the typical game media. The name is fun, you just have to look at all the crazy animations relating to the name.

Although I have said this I am still waiting for my 3D electroplankton...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the fact that Sony (the current #1 console in terms of sales) has outright stolen controller functionality from nintendo (#3) tells a lot about what theyve got on the shelf.

I think this system is gonna destroy compared to the last few nintendo systems. They have innovation truly on their side this time, and its pretty much just like they say: microsoft and Sony are pumping out just a lot of the same.

I am also glad that currently one of the giants of the entertainment industry is coming out saying "weve got to be more innovative." Usually thats the story of the underdog, where the man upstairs just wants his big fat paycheck....... (which im sure is just what nintendo wants, just nice to see them being constructive about it.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by oracrest
    I think the fact that Sony (the current #1 console in terms of sales) has outright stolen controller functionality from nintendo (#3) tells a lot about what theyve got on the shelf.
    It's not really a matter of if they stole it or not. To be honest, this is debatable in the first place, and a lot people get pretty uppity when you put it that way.

The important thing here, is that the idea is pretty dumb in the first place. For one, they aren't copying the Wii-mote. The device is actually a tilt-sensor, more like...you know, what came with Kirby's Pinball like five years back. Only with X,Y, and Z rotation, (I believe.) For another, placing this technology on a regular controller, especially one as complex as the PS2 controller, seems like a poor move. You've got enough to worry about with those things as is. But, for the final blow, well...what the hell could they use this for anyway? The application seems, honestly, very limited and pretty much like a big gimmick. Having to tilt a controller while managing a control stick, 4 face buttons and 4 shoulder buttons seems mind boggling. Unlike Nintendo, Sony's platforms aren't known for entering new territory. Just more guns and cars.
    So while there are possibilities, it hardly seems reasonable. Any game that utilizes this feature and makes it fun will probably have to do so very predominantly. And honestly, if you're going to make a game with controls based around fewer buttons and motion/tilt sensitivity...why not do it on the Wii, where customers are much more open to new ideas and development is by far easier and cheaper.

Well...*cough* Yeah. Anyway. Think I'd like a PS3, just...the tilt thing. Seems dumb. Oh, and, my name is not Donald Trump.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Regardless, for many a joypad like the 'DualShock' will work perfectly okay for stumbling around in specular map glittering corridors and shooting machineguns. The PS3 will sell a lot just because of that, innovation and change is not some miracle cure. Sony can just bruteforce their way and it seems to be exactly what they're doing.

I wonder why Nintendo still has the 'sensor rod' up on their Wii hardware page if it's isn't needed later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought the sensor bar was needed so the wii could tell where the position of the crontroller was in 3d space, so it can act as a pointer, pick up depth etc. the ps3 controller has no sense of where it is in 3d space. Sony may blag about a tilt sensor, but the wii-mote and nunchuk is a combination of 2 tilt sensors and a tracking pointer.

Am I right in assuming that Sony stole/copied/borrowed the rumble tech by immersion?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the dual shock? im not sure. but it's not even in the ps3 pad anymore...
    i find it funny how they TRIED to design a new controller, and it looked like a boomorang so they just went, "fuck it, we'll use the ps2 pad... and turn the dual shock to just dual"!

as for the tilt, sony stole technology seen in gba games 5 years ago.

sony will inovate again,,, they just have to wait for nintendo to show them what! :p

peace

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    edit: nevermind-- i misread an earlier post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its a cool and fresh system, il give them that. But i personaly dont think that this will make it much "cooler" to play some certain games. Ofcourse, sport games like golf, tennis and baseball will turn out pretty awesome in multiplayer, but just physicaly enduring for a guy who wants to complete a single player version.

Other games such as: platform games, fps shooter, flightsimulators will get pretty strict and just wierd. I dunno. The fps part seems ok with a gun and all but its just like a namco gun for games like time crisis and point blanc. Not revolutionery there. Think that the ps3 controll will b just as cool as the new wii remotes. not just becouse the dual shock is a instant classic, but also becouse they have most of the quality as the new remotes from nintendo wii (i hear rumers about that sony has stolen the wii idea, but who gives a damn where the idea comes from, its the product and its qualities that are important). And ps3 seems to be much more visualy impressive than the new nintendo. if i should choose a next gen console i would either buy the 360 or the ps3.

Perhaps it is just becouse i dont like the games they make for the nintendo (except the twin snakes, he he ). And im a bigger fan of the more "mature" games u get for the 360 and the ps3.

Last edited by Wolfbane; May 20th, 2006 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It'll do better than the xbox360 and MAYBE the ps3. The ps3 has too large of a consumer fanbase right now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes but how many of those are still going to buy one for $600?
    I reckon until the price goes down, the PS3 won't do as well as the PS2 did in it's first year. The PS2 was exspensive, but $600? Sheesh!

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    think its worth it, when u look at the visual capacity ^^

Playstation 3! WOOT WOOT!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.