MMORPG's kills Talent

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MMORPG's kills Talent

Any artists here play any MMORPG games, like FFXI , RF online, world of Warcraft? If so, how has it effect you as an artist.

Currently im playing FFXI(final fantasy XI) and cause ive been so addicted, my art has sufferd so much, i currently am in the prosses of quitting,but the addiction is hard to kick,specialy when you have so many friends online.
    I dont think it is wrong to play an online game, such as ffxi, but when it cuts into your life and your talent,like it did with me, it can be very dangerous.
    Must one Quit online gaming to become a serious artist? Maybe its a question of self control? Eather way i see it a sin to play so much and draw so little.

Anyone else wanna share there thoughts on the matter?

Last edited by Genso; May 14th, 2006 at 12:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67325

Share your pain.

It's about responsibility and self control. I work, and go to school, and play WoW. Ultimately, if you're going to be a proffessional, you don't have to give up anything, as long as you can enjoy your leisure activities, or any other aspect of your life responsibly.

As they say, everything in moderation.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive drawings you got there. and you play WOW and have a full time job you say?
    Hmmm. i do need to re think my life. Its hard being an artist when all your friends want you to play games and mess around. I have no friends that draw or have any artistic talent of any kind, so i find it very hard to be motivated.
    when im in class and everyones drawing and painting, i can really study, but money is tight this year and i had to skip a couple of cemesters. mid life crisis at 23 anyone? lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah, I use to play a few mmorpgs, dude, they seriously take so much time, and are so addictivee...I'll never play another one again haha. I've generally dropped playing video games all-togethor though, which isnt a bad thing. *shrugs* more time for art. : )

My attempt at baking eyecandy.

I'm Here to make friends! Befriend me I buy you sweets yes yes!

My Icecream Filled Sketchy book.~

~ERILAZ~CRAZY3DMAN~SEPULVURTURE~THEGREYPENCIL~HALO'S CHAIN~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Strange question: Do you have anything to do with another artist known as Genzo?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    Strange question: Do you have anything to do with another artist known as Genzo?

Genzo? never heard of him/her would like to know where he/she got there name from .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have a Combat level 51 RuneScape character, but I don't play much nowdays. It is the only MMORPG I have spent any time on (It's free, Java in browser), so I don't know how it compares to the competition.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Id like to have a program that flashes colors at me and makes these satisfying hit sounds while I use Painter, and it would rise fictional stats on some character screen while i do it, it also needs a marketplace where i can trade the work.
    And you could compare your total painting time and stroke count, total line length in kilometers etc.
    I never understood how online games can feel more like achieving something than working.
    There were some mmorpg excesses in my life, the worst lasted for about 2months. If only I could get obsessed like that with something that others are willing to pay for... There must be a way too fool your ego like those games do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by psyloco
    ... There must be a way too fool your ego like those games do.
    Games are fun because we dont take them so seriously.. we understand that we can't really make any mistakes at all so we just sort of let go and have a good time, get completely consumed with them. Art and every other aspect of life is not unlike that.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by psyloco
    I never understood how online games can feel more like achieving something than working.
    Uh.. they don't feel like they're accomplishing anything, its leisure activity, period.

I'm not referring to anyone specific, but I love how some people get all high and mighty that they don't play games, or are above or over the obsession, and focus on thier work intently, and seem to pity those of us who are 'addicted'. Well guess what, you can't work 24/7. You can't concentrate on work, and improvement, and increasing skill, all the time, and relax none of the time. You need to decompress, to pace yourself, or else you don't grow. You need to have a functional social life, to have a healthy body, and to have time away from work. With the mentality that you're either drawing, or wasting time, I guess I shouldn't go running, or watch a movie with my girlfriend, or take a nap, or watch the Daily Show, or have a social circle, because I should be working nonstopnonstopnonstop!!! Video games are something that people do just like going to a bar with friends, vedging out on the couch, relaxing, whatever. It's leisure time, and it should be done in moderation just like everything else in life.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on your off time from drawing, it's so much more beneficial to you as a human being to go out and interact with people, have a beer, see the sights and have a real life, than doing a bunch of shit virtually on a video game with people you've never seen or met. if you have a proper life outside work, and balance the two, your art will be that much richer for it too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Who says people who play online games don't have 'proper' lives outside of work? I'll be going this weekend to a birthday party for my girlfriend and I with 20 or more of our friends. I was home for a week in Buffalo without even the thought of a video game while I visited my family. I have dinner with my girlfriend, spend time with my friends, meet new people while out karaokeing, and lots of other socially or professionally productive activities.. yet I came home to day and blew a couple of hours playing WoW.. who is anyone to judge me for that? You're going to tell me my life isn't proper? It's a balance of everything, not just life and art down the middle, or even split between the two.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with recreational video game playing. Many many people have perfectly balanced lives and still include video games in thier leisure. I happen to be one of them. You decide whats proper for you, I'll decide whats proper for me.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    relax chief, i wasn't dissing your life. the original post posed an online-games vs art question, and my answer was to replace the games part with a social life. trust me, as a working artist, you won't have time for all three.

Last edited by Gezstar; May 19th, 2006 at 04:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a working artist. I work full time in TV and film freelancing. In fact, I was until recently, doing school part time, while working full time, while living with my girlfriend, having a social life, and playing WoW on top of it all.

I manage just fine with balancing it all.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good for you!! by the sounds of it, our definitions of full time work are different.

Last edited by Gezstar; May 19th, 2006 at 04:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would you mind giving me your definition?

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    full time freelance artist: 10-16 hours a day, 6 days a week. i think most would agree with me.

but enough of this conversation. i'm glad you're glad playing online games. i just think life's too short for that shit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work for me ebbs and flows. There is uptime, and downtime. Work days range from 6 hours to 16 depending on proximity of pitch, shoot, deadline, whatever. That time increases exponentially as our company approaches project wraps, or if we're filming while still producing art. Work always trickles at the beginning, then switches gears increasingly as we proceed. I'm consistantly busy, however sometimes more than others.

I'm not sure how things are in your particular sector of the industry, it may be different, or similar.

Indeed, enough, but I'd like to ask that you not judge what others do with thier free time and deem it proper or improper. We've all got our own ways of doing things.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude like i said i wasn't really addressing you. if you can do it, that's fine. the original poster, Genso, said "cause ive been so addicted, my art has sufferd so much". Best thing for him to do would be to quit and go outside, no?

easy now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I presume that you're taking my replies as somehow tense, however I assure you I'm perfectly calm and relaxed about this matter.. this is just the way I talk.

I'll be the first to agree that some people take gaming too far. I'd also agree that anyone suffering from such addictive tendancies in terms of games should cut the funding an go focus on other more productive activities. I simply get defensive when assumptions are made, or when I feel I'm being judged by someone elses standards.

Whether or not you were addressing me, it still seemed as though you were making assumptions about me by saying 'as a working artist, you won't have time for all three.' or those who play games by calling games 'shit.'

I'm sure you can see why I may have construed your statements as being directed towards me at least in part.

But anyways, we're not being terribly productive with this either, speaking of non-productive activities.. so.. back to work with the both of us!

...I have a sketchbook?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.