help with sci-fi armor!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

help with sci-fi armor!

allrighty, im gonna post the 3 i have now. theyre kind of big, but i fear shrinking them, and making them any harder to realy look at. these are all me fiddleing with a more futuristic armor for a current character of mine. im trying for a some what medievil look, but with a gothic root to it. elegant, yet firm, looks like it can take some decent damage. the only reference ive used at all is some of Halos armor, more to see placement than anthing else, and a few traces of samuri armor. what im looking for here is not realy crits on if somethings not alighned properly, i know a few things arent perfectly alighned wth eachother, but more for functionalality problems, or just any flaws in the basic conespt and desighn. thanks a lot in advance.

help with sci-fi armor!

heres the armor for the leg at different angles.

help with sci-fi armor!

the front torso...

help with sci-fi armor!

and the back torso.

again, sorry for the size, and posting all 3, but i wanted to post what i had.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He wouldn't be able to turn his head comfortably for starters, espescially to look down. He also looks like hed have trouble turning his torso altogether. It seems like your trying to go for a scaled armor look, but at the moment it isnt working functionality wise.. Rather than concentrating on specific areas, then drawing it all up as a final, I suggest doing some quick drafts of the armor in full view on the character wearing it, that way you dont get any issues where parts will look wierd/out of place from each other. Decide in a quick draft, and then expand on it. Hence, to step out and look at the subject as a whole, then work your way into the details.

Also, if your aiming for a medieval kindof armor.. I dont think you should be looking at halo'ish armor, as it'd be influenced greatly from a futuristic point of view, I'd imagine this armor to look really out-of-place in a medieval world/environment. Also the bottom of the feet has ground grips.. I've never seen armor dating back from medieval times using the studded ground-grips.

However, I like how your doing the back, I suggest you expand on that design, because it seems to give the idea of an armadillo's armor.. with a haunch to the characters back. Also, consider how your character is going to operate within the environment your placing him in. How will he hold weapons in his world - the designs of the weapons may affect in what way the armor will look both aesthetically and functionally. Ie: A typical sword/shield arrangement, I would design armor where the shield-arm would be the most heavily armoured/protected as this is where the character will try to defend himself from blows by assailants, whereas the sword-arm would be the most flexible (whilst trying not to compromise on protection) so the character can swing with ease and get hits into his assailants without getting cramps or problems.

Hope this helps, and would like to see how this goes.

Last edited by worxe; May 12th, 2006 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i understand a lot of what your saying, and i agree. my intentions were innitaily to draw all the sections seperate, then do a draft of it all together, and see if it fit nicely. i tried doing it all in one big draft, but i was just too over whelmed. so i decided to take this route untill i felt more comforable with what i was doing. the neck is very stiff, but it was hard coming up with something. the armors for a futuristic setting, a gothic (like the churches you see) stylized outer space science fiction. and i wanted the armor it have a vauge medievil feel to it. i only realy used halos armor just to see "ok, heres a basic shape for the chest plate, and hers where it should join" ect. im trying to make th armor movable, for fast action. i might have to joint it more, or sacrifice a few pieces, but thats why im here, to get second oppinions. but i thats all ther is wrong with it, i quess im doing ok for my first set of armor. ^^; thanks a lot for you input, its helped me see what needs improvng.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As of right now i dont see any means on how the wearer of this armor could move his torso. I good example of gothic type of futuristic armor would be Chronicles of Riddick movie, look up in google! Those would give you a good idea of separations of metal. Try the keyword Vaako in the image section of google, I thought his armor was pretty bad ass. See what you can take from that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
haha, I hope he's not going to attempt a backflip!

hm, everythings seems abit stiff, thats the only tip i have
to try to loose the hardforms up a bit, he dont need to be covered
by heavy metal, exactly everywere. right ? !?

Good luck on this one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, riddik. that would be a good source. ill have to look some up. thanks for the tip!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's lookin' pretty good for a rough. Watch your size of the neck on that torso sketch. Another thing to keep in mind when your creating your concepts is function. It is great to have things look nice and cool, but they should also look like they have a purpose, this is not always the case though; there should be a nice balance between the two. A tip for generating work/ideas a bit faster and putting more ideas on paper (in order to find the best one): don't worry about shading until you have a solid design. There are some parts on the front view of the leg that are not shown on the side views... The point below the knee for example. Over all it's a good design. Keep it up.

"All your base are belong to us!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches. Just a thought about the knee: you could try having it as a fixed extension to the top of the lower leg armour, or hinged from the thigh section; gets that fiddly, intrusive strap out of the way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was trying to make it look a little more complicated i suppose. thats a good idea, but i think ill just keep i this way. im trying to stay away from big pieces, and rather go with smaller, interlocking ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seems like everyone pretty much nailed the crits, just want to say that looks like some awsome armor. : ) I'd very much love to wear some like that! : D the back view is my favorite, really good job on that.

My attempt at baking eyecandy.

I'm Here to make friends! Befriend me I buy you sweets yes yes!

My Icecream Filled Sketchy book.~

~ERILAZ~CRAZY3DMAN~SEPULVURTURE~THEGREYPENCIL~HALO'S CHAIN~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks so much! i like the back more than the front too. i just wanted something not so boring on the back, so i had that raised aria over his spine. and lots of fancy things. ^^;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why does everything slant to the right? You should try to draw more consistently in future efforts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in the actual pieces, they are strait, but for some reason, when i scanned it t must have been at an angle or something, because this is how they scanned. but the physical copies are completely strait.

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.