Thanks

Exclamation How to Sharpen Your Artistic Skills Because of the Company That You Keep

I recently read an article by internet business woman Allison Brown where she said “you are the average of the 5 people you hang around most”. This really caught my attention and made me think:

Who is in your creative circle of influence? Do you hang around or interact with artists more talented than you, artists that even unknowingly drive you to excellence? Or are you relying only on the feedback of Mom, Dad or artists not as skilled as you who praise everything that you create?

If the only artistic influences in your circle are as good as you are, your work will only be average. But if you keep talented fellow artists in your circle, you can be driven by an internal sense of excellence.

The bible teaches us:
    “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17

This teaches the artist that you should surround yourself with creative people that are at least the next caliber above you in skill. This will only challenge you to do your best work.

Here are a few practical tips toward building an effective circle of influence:

• Surround yourself with artists that have already been or are going where you wish to go.

• Participate in online and/ or offline groups where talented peers challenge you to use your “A-Game”.

• Surround yourself with artists that will share honest constructive criticism with you.
    Helping Creative People Discover Their Purpose:
    Art Lessons From God!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Got nobody around here like that! Wtf is up with chicago seriously doesn anyone live here thats on CA? Or in the industry FUCK!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    so if I spend all my time with artists more skilled than myself, does this mean that I can simultaneously reduce the quality of their work while improving the quality of my own?
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    That's the reason I surround myself with girls only. Just by hanging out with them, I can learn to be better then them and grow tits!

WOW!

M

Thanks
    Then all the the higher level artists than you would also try improve their work comparing to the best artist who is in the group. Not reducing quality but balancing it.

Thanks
    Marko, my boobs have grown tremendously after I began dating. With only 3 years of influence, I think I've done pretty well!

Thanks
    What if I don't hang around anyone?

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Djurdjevic
    That's the reason I surround myself with girls only. Just by hanging out with them, I can learn to be better then them and grow tits!

WOW!

M
    Hahahaha! AWSOME!!! (Same reason I hang out with only guys... minus the tits....)
    El cielo embatado y triste, para nosotros maramos entre el enjado. The bella ombra dwells within us all, the beautiful shadow, the dark muse, but only some of us chose to see it. - There is no such thing as an artist who is at least alittle crazy.

Thanks
    i spend most of my days and nights with demons and such.
    i learn most about how to destroy fellow humans and stuff like that.
    not much creativity, just the basic kill em all attitude.

no seriuosly , i dont spend much time with other creative ppl. thats to bad i think. not much motivation but it keeps me grounded. and i dont dissapear in a dark cloud from the pits of hell. that i seen happen to other creative ppl.

women seem to like me too, but they can get annoying sometimes. i dont want to learn much about them. becouse i like to have sex with them.

some ppl are lucky and some dont have time to draw so much.
    and besides i think its to late for me age wise to become a concept designer becouse you are all so young and rock and roll.

i try to spend time with other creative minds at this website, and thats about all the "artists" i know. and when i dont piss them off or the other way around i might learn some new tricks of the trade.

Thanks
    i couldnt agree more, which is why i only surround myself with the very best people i can find, artistically and otherwise.

Thanks
    I've got horribly low self esteem, so I surround myself with filthy slobs, morbidly obese grandmothers, and dorks who smell like rotting cabbage.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    I surround myself with rich people.....I'm not rich yet......I must be doing something wrong.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Well, there's no artistic people where i live...Just empty boxes :/

Thanks
    Monkey see monkey do I guess. But, if you want to be great you've got to be able to teach yourself in my opinion.

Thanks
    Marko breasts? The disturbingly erotic.

Thanks
    Righto I'm off to replace my friends with more talented ones. To all of my current friends - you're holding me back and should be ashamed.

Thanks
    he he he - suportive parents?
    My parents pretty much kicked me out when I told them I was going to follow art and film as a career.

since I started working I don't have time for friends.

Thanks
    Does "building" a circle of friends sound wrong to anyone else?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    mmm... tits..

One thing i know for sure.. The people i "hang" with from these forums on msn or irc have helped me improve A LOT!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash
    mmm... tits..

One thing i know for sure.. The people i "hang" with from these forums on msn or irc have helped me improve A LOT!

hmmmmm people like GRACE JONES!!!!!

http://www.theworldofgracejones.com/vulnerable.html

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts

Thanks
    wouldn't that destroy your self esteem though? I would think that hanging out with all artists who are "above you" would make you develop an inferiority complex.

Thanks
    Tsnipes, that was a nice post. I would agree. Alot of my friends at school are artist from different backgrounds and on different skill levels. I think what's motivating is the fact that we're honest with each other on crits and stuff and suggest things for each other, because as friends, we encourage each other, not tear each other down, which I think is what you were saying. If we spent the entire time trying to see who'e better than who, we wouldn't get anywhere. I think that goes the same way for CA, helpng each other grow, and that's great.

By the way, that spripture is very encouraging. And it proves itself true, like if your around slackers all the time, it's not very encouraging and can bring you down, I've been there. But if you find yourself a tight nit group of friends who work hard, it's a great motivation, just like any support group. Anyway, there's my 2 cents.

- Vision

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnipes
    I recently read an article by internet business woman Allison Brown where she said “you are the average of the 5 people you hang around most”. This really caught my attention and made me think:

Yes, it made me think too: who were the 5 pals of this woman??
    Maybe these ones:

I think that pointing that following this stupid rule wouldn't be geniuses, because noboby can spring from himself, would be answered by her: "they are the exceptions that confirm the rule."