View Poll Results: Best undead gunslinger?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prophet

22 44.00%
  • Keng

0 0%
  • invinciblewombat

1 2.00%
  • Cup of Joe

0 0%
  • TheGnoll

9 18.00%
  • Plate

0 0%
  • blog

2 4.00%
  • Tigermilk

2 4.00%
  • KhaelTheDragon

0 0%
  • PhantomBlaze

1 2.00%
  • Dile

3 6.00%
  • Frank Wade

1 2.00%
  • Lewis

0 0%
  • WolfBane

2 4.00%
  • ShamblingCat

0 0%
  • panda

7 14.00%
  • DanDanThe Mexican

0 0%
    Thanks

VOTING!! Teen Challenge #6

The topic was Zombie Cowboy, so vote for your favorite!

Prophet:

Keng:

invinciblewombat:

Cup of Joe:

TheGnoll:

Plate:

blog:

Tigermilk:

KhaelTheDragon:
    Daniel Brown
    RIP
    ...and ye young girls and maidens of the old old west//
    best lock hands and pray ol' Danny-boy Brown lies in his rest...

PhantomBlaze:

Dile:

Frank Wade:

Lewis:

WolfBane:
    This is the resurected Buffalo Bill ready to do some serious pwn'ing! Complete witht he hat, guns and the cowboy boots

ShamblingCat:

panda:

DanDanTheMexican:
    http://www.msnusers.com/TheSuminskiF...to&PhotoID=307
    (Note to Dan: this site doesn't allow remote linking. If you get a photobucket account, upload it there, and send me the URL, I'll post the image here.)

Oh, and one other thing: Don't vote for yourself. If you do, I'll point it out and everyone will laugh at you.
    Last edited by inkerton; May 10th, 2006 at 12:55 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Awesome turnout this round, and some really great work. It'll probably take me a while to decide who to vote for.

The next round will be up in a day or so. In the meantime I'm open for topic suggestions, so post some here if you have 'em.

Thanks
    I think we should do:

Steel Samurai

Thanks
    Uhh... why can't I vote?

Just count a +1 for Gnoll.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wade
    I think we should do:

Steel Samurai
    I think you should vote for someone besides yourself, especially since I just said in the first post not to do that.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    Uhh... why can't I vote?
    I have no idea. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
    Prophet's got my vote. What can I say? I'm a sucker for tattered cloaks.

Thanks
    hmm it was between prophet and panda on this one for me, went with panda becasue I liked the interesting brushwork though, if the topic had been "Zombie cowboy decked out for unreal tournament" I would've picked wolfbane fo sho. hope to see you all again in the next round, a great turnout for this one.

Thanks
    Same here it was between Prophet and Panda. I had to go with Prophet's though. The presentation looked complete and the image had the most impact on me. The pose and the long legs was what i liked.

As for panda's it was a pretty cool piece too, I would have voted on it if you worked on some areas more. I think what killed it was the face area. It didnt look too intresting and is outta wack. The textures definatly exciting to look at though. If you redid the face to look more "cool" you would have have won my vote. Also I would have made him aiming the gun towards the viewer more. I would go back to this piece panda and rework some areas I think it has some real nice qualities to it to be in the finished section!

Thanks
    Hehe sorry!

It was my gut reaction because I like to win, and then I scrolled down and read what you said.

My apologies.

Thanks
    I think we should do:

Steel Samurai

I think this is a good idea. Perhaps not "steel" but some hi-tech suit samurai would b cool.

Thanks
    hmm.. this is tough. I'm pulled three way. I love the sleek dark look of prophet's, the pure character and relaxation of The Gnoll's, and the good humour of Plate's. Prophet and plate are the more complete looking of the three though. Hmmm hmm hmm... It's a tough call but I think I'll through a bone to Prophet's great atmosphere.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Panda came so close but it just didn't have enough rot in the zombie, so I went with prophet, even though his head is a bit on the teeny side...

BTW, Blog...that zombie of your's is just about the gayest rotting corpse I've ever seen... Love it.
    Last edited by Ilaekae; May 11th, 2006 at 03:13 AM. Reason: addition.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    WOW those are a lot of very nice entries!
    I can't decide who I'll vote for now, cause I have to go, but great stuff people!!

Love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Prophet...I hate you.. I heard someone suggest A Clown That Hates Children. I thought that could be cool/funny.

Thanks
    Jeebus... I thoght Gnoll had it in the bag- His seemed the most consistent and showed the most anatomical skill, which IMO is important in zombies. Prophet's is all bone up to the neck- That was a major killer for me. Other than that it's a pretty nice piece, with good comp.

I don't feel Keng's was a rival because his was alot different- Kinda a playful theme, and it was well executed, but not what everyone thinks when one says "Zombie".

Joe's just was a matter of completness I think... color choices could have played a bigger role in it (Though I'm no color expert myself =O)

Gnoll's was just my hands down favorite. He was able to mix a comedic atmosphere with serious anatomy. The background also shows very good skill, all around. It's not digi, but he has texture, shading, perspective, amirite?

Plate's has the humor there, that's for sure, but again, very cartoony, and not exactly what people think when one thinks "zombie".

Blog- Very homo, but very good start. Try doing a less effeminite(sp?) version of him...Her... It?

Tigermilk to Phantomblaze- completeness factor again- these sketches showed some potential too!!!

Dile; I liked this one, but I think the gun works against it... It seems to be facing a different direction. Maybe putting the barrel up to the very front of the pic to create some depth of field thingy would have been nice? Good execution.

Frankie; I might have voted for you if it had been TOTALLY done. That means no or few little lines, and more complete rendering. The pose is very descriptive, and the lantern as a lightsource is nice!

Lewis; The black lines are the biggest deterrent on this piece... They are all very thick and kind of annoying... Black lines are just places of very high contrast compared with the rest of whatever's around. Where things overlap, i.e. folds, there is a value difference, that we see as a line between the two. Try to learn to paint over the lines. It makes a much more effective piece overall.

Wolf; as was said, very nice design, but it strikes much more of a UT feel than a cowboy feel. If it WAS an armored western zombie, I would have gone for yours for sure.

I will crit rest later, I have to go to school.

I'm not tryin' to diss on people's style or anything, I'm just saying, when you are doing a competition for an audience, or anything really, you gotta think what they want. Some want originality, but present in a way that's built off the cliche- (Here is a small story) This year in our yearbook class there were alot of the anime kids... who have the same kinda of "random" humor, like where you yell POTATOES!!!! And people start laughing. Anyways, they put a bunch of stupid humor in the yearbook, that costs 50 bucks, and all the kids kept saying "what the hell is with the potatoes and the cheese and the milk slayers? This is so (not straight)."

So yeah- IMHO, working to win means you gotta please people- and I'd say the majority of CA.org like the gorey messy zombie types. Just speculatin'

Thanks
    Pixeldragon- Its not the majority we like around here, its originality! But i agree partially with your statement, I would have liked to see some more red in these submittions.

Thanks
    Voted for TheGnoll's piece. It's such a great linework and the zombie truly has a lot of personality. It's the only one that really looks alive for me (well... as alive as a zombie can be... )
    Panda was my second choice, amazing texture work!

There are really nice jobs here, great work everyone!

Thanks
    Hey everyone, thanks for votes so far. Ive not been able to check on this for a while because my PC broke, bah lost everything, all my work..college stuff and personal. Anyways i voted for invinciblewombat as i think in all his pieces he has shown a great grasp of colours, which i respect...would of liked to see his whole body.

Thanks
    Voted gnoll...excellent drawing buddy!

Thanks
    P-IMP PIIIIIMP at thegnoll and prophet's! Had to vote for gnoll though, I'm just too big of a fan of linework, and his shit is cleeeean.
    Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Thanks
    Hehe sorry!

It was my gut reaction because I like to win, and then I scrolled down and read what you said.

My apologies.
    It's alright, just try not to do it again. I know some people don't have a problem with self voting, but I think it kinda sends the message that you care about winning more than you care about competing, which is rather disrespectful to your competitors. But I know you didn't intend that, so no harm done.

I cast my vote for prophet; there were several that I liked, but his simple yet effective use of atmosphere is what pushed it above the rest for me. Some other favorites were invinciblewombat for the expression, TheGnoll for some very nice linework, and panda for his cool gritty style.

And thanks to those who said they appreciated the humor of my entry. In the end I didn't have as much time to finalize it as I would have liked, but hopefully I won't have that problem in the next round.

Speaking of which, Round 7 is coming right up.

Thanks
    ah, man. This is some serious nice shit! didn't know we were this many competing. ^^

Prophet: that's some crazy good Photoshopping. ,) Love the atmosphere! How old are you?

Blogg: Hey man, I really like yours, its a cool composition! Love it how it looks as if he's dancing.

The Gnoll: Very relaxed and humorues, missing the contrasts tho. But great lines!

Panda: Awesome atmosphere!

Hard to choose. Unfortunately, I totally made an ass out of myself by voting FOR myself, which actually wasn't ment to happen. Just count my votes -1.
    Prophet, you totally blew me away with that entry, you should've had my vote, sry bud.

The rest of you guys, awesome pieces, I'm happy to see this many cool entrys!

t

EDIT: For the next round, why can't we have a very short conceptual story of somekind, or one or two sentences, that we illustrate and interpret. This way it will be more dynamic and will maybe open more doors, to put it that way. Just a thought!

Thanks
    oh, wow, didn't even imagine i would get some votes, basically cause mine isn't actuallt finished

so thanks a lot pixeldragoon, entdroid, Asoir, panda and plate for the kind words and/or your votes, really appreciate it.

Aa i said, mine wasn't actually finished, the fingers close in a wrong way and it's got some other problems.
    So, my favs were:
    Prophet: I guess it's one on the few really finished ones, nice values, nice BG, the body is a bit too long, and i don't really like the had but, WTF, it's got the right mood in it, and a nice pose.
    Plate: this was real fun, nice idea, but isn't polished enought and i don't like the BG (guess i can't talk about "unfinished" look tho )
    tigermilk: i liked a lot the pose and general mood, but its just not finished at all, would have voted the finished version of this one tho
    wolfbane: jeez, do you know how old this dude is? he's just too damn good.Lovely linework and concept, could have done without the dull gradiend tho.Unfortunately, this one doesn't suit the concept, i preferred the previous one.
    panda:a great texture/pattern work, really shows skill.I love the mood in this, but the head maybe lacks some "personality", maybe?

ok, had fun with this one, maybe i'll try the next one too ^^
    ciao

Thanks
    thanks tigermilk and Gnoll...would of loven to see yours finished , im 18 btw
    Last edited by dannE-B; May 11th, 2006 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks
    Yeah, great job everyone! And thanks for the comments.

Thanks
    Lewis; The black lines are the biggest deterrent on this piece... They are all very thick and kind of annoying... Black lines are just places of very high contrast compared with the rest of whatever's around. Where things overlap, i.e. folds, there is a value difference, that we see as a line between the two. Try to learn to paint over the lines. It makes a much more effective piece overall.
    Hey Pixeldragoon ur making very solid points. I know about the black lines tho, the pic just wasnt finished. Next challenge ill try to work some more on my piece.

My favs this round were Plate, Panda and Blog

In the end i went for blog. Gotta love ur paintingstyle and the highlights are totally working. Also like teh pose

Cya next challenge, Lewis