Employment section- are some artists getting ripped?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Employment section- are some artists getting ripped?

I, for one, read almost all employment threads posted. I see a few potential employers, which I'm not going to name, post recuring threads to get people to do the same job (they don't use the same artist more than once? why not?) and I see some who also ask a different art test in every thread.

This has me worried that artists are getting ripped by they potential employers.

Does anyone know a resource to check on the reliability of an employer or have an idea how we could post such references without potential employers accidentally stumbling on it (obviously it's not a good idea to put it in the job section.)

Am I the only one concerned with this?

(edited for typo)

Last edited by Qitsune; May 20th, 2006 at 09:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thank you for the advice Mike.

I was mostly worried about this company that gives lists of props for their art test, if they already have all the props they need why would they hire the artist. Not everyone who did the art test decides to play the games to check the props out.

Thanks
    Is "riped" what happens when a piece of fruit is raped?

Sorry, qitsune. Lame joke.

Anyhow, I think it's very professional to send an email to a company asking for a list of their accomplishments/products to see how well established they are. Sometimes, a start up company is on shaky ground and it shows in how they approach potential employers. Sometimes a start up company doesn't have a great portfolio, but they present themselves so well and have so much potential, it doesn't matter. I guess you have to really examine each company closely, and just like Mike said, do plenty of background checkups.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Damn MagicGoo... english ain't my first language , but at least you got what I meant, hehe.

I can't beleive what lame posts we get in the job sections and people are stepping all over themselves (does that make any sense?) to send samples and portfolios to all these dodgy potential employers.

Thanks
    i had simular thought patterns on the subject qitsune, i went ahead and took a lunchbreak's worth for this test and sent it. haven't received a single word from them - be mindfull people!

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    I have done a little sticky thread to give potential employers some pointers in the employment forum.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68382

If you disagree with what I wrote or have something to add please advise!

Thanks

Continued from the Rockstar Offer in the employment section

Quote Originally Posted by qitsune
    People, if you are unhappy with the salary, don't apply but please stop whinning, this job offering is quite professionnal and all you are doing is making CA look bad.
    27,000 pounds annually - UK taxes - standard of living = ?????
    (not including if you have family)
    (I'm curious to what this works out to)

..and opinions within the rules and policies of conceptart.org does not make conceptart.org "look bad"....this is a site for artists after all....or is it???
    Cheers
    Just a friendly debate
    Good job on the forums.

Thanks
    Just got this in the email this morning (my first time receiving this kinda stuff..)

Anybody else get this?
    Does it sound legit?

Hi Den

You were referred to us by Imagine FX Magazine

Looking for Concept Anime Artists to do character
    designs, promo poster designs, comicbooks, Animation
    boards, flash animation intros, environment design,
    pre-visuals and world design.

We don't play games, we are all pro.
    Cryptarchy VFX is small, but serious.

We pay 25%-50% up front on 6, 8, or 12 month
    project contracts using www.paypal.com ONLY

The style we are looking for is in the style of Ninja
    Scroll, Basilisk, Trinity Blood, Lodoss Wars,
    Ghost in a Shell and Fist of the North Star.

Dark Future fantasy horror, Big GUNS, Hugh steroid
    freaked creatures, awesome woman,
    kick ass ninjas, and Samurais....including
    Mecha, and well your typical blood and guts.

We have a lot of work.

Thanks for your time

Steven James
    CEO/Concept Writer-Designer

Cryptarchy VFX
    Mizer-Midian Designs

Los Angeles

Thanks
    Den,

Sounds pretty legit. They've been specific about payment method and up-front amount, as well as the content they're looking for. They have also provided example titles of what look they want to achieve with the concepts. These are all good signs of a legit company.

But, just to be sure, ask to view a contract and check it VERY closely for loopholes. It sounds like they have contract ready to go, so it should be no problem for them to provide you with a copy.

Also, make sure you find out about deadlines, and how much they are willing to pay for certain types of designs (i.e character, environment, vehicles, etc.)

Mr. Corriero might have more to add to this, as he's the one who has provided me with this very helpful information when approaching freelance offers of work.

Thanks
    3bleadpencil:

I think there is a difference between seeing someone who doesn't know a thing about hiring artists and giving him pointers or denouncing someone who does dodgy stuff and replying to a company like Rockstar.

I'm not saying that Rockstar is perfect and that everything they say is right. I'm just saying that:

- Nothing you will say will change their minds because they have been in business for a while and have got to know they will get someone at that salary.

-They don't depend on CA to recruit, this is the kind of company that posts on Gamasutra, Creativeheads and plenty of other venues and CA is just a dot on their recruit map, if we make a fuss or diss, they will just skip us. That would suck.

-If another employer happens to read that thread, maybe they will skip us too.

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by qitsune
    3bleadpencil:

I think there is a difference between seeing someone who doesn't know a thing about hiring artists and giving him pointers or denouncing someone who does dodgy stuff and replying to a company like Rockstar.

I'm not saying that Rockstar is perfect and that everything they say is right. I'm just saying that:

- Nothing you will say will change their minds because they have been in business for a while and have got to know they will get someone at that salary.

-They don't depend on CA to recruit, this is the kind of company that posts on Gamasutra, Creativeheads and plenty of other venues and CA is just a dot on their recruit map, if we make a fuss or diss, they will just skip us. That would suck.

-If another employer happens to read that thread, maybe they will skip us too.
    If certain employers decided to skip CA, artists are smart enough to go to that employers website and apply there.
    It's too bad that some companies have used unfair practices and have given themselves a bad name
    (which is too bad for employers that do practice fairness).
    This isn't a one way street where artists need employment, they only want potential employees to think that. The truth of the matter is, they need us, as much as we need them. Without us they wouldn't be able to sell anything to the consumer. Our work is the first thing the consumer sees. Good artists are hard to come by and Rockstar is well aware that any major competitor is willing to compete with them and their staff.....this is the reason why in almost every contract I see, the fine print says you can't work for any employer in the same field of work for a certain period of time after your termination......again BS.

Artist's should demand(speakout) their worth and it 's not occuring enough...this is evident in the game industry. The average artist salary is lower than that of a designer's or a programmer's...why?????....I usually hear "Artists are easy to find".....but why do employers often hire artists continents away...The company I work for has had to look for artists in Singapore/Japan/New York/Montreal to name a few places....it all a bunch of BS to make artists believe they aren't worth that much...and that salary offer says all that.

Did I mention we don't get paid overtime, which is something they're already getting away with.

Point taken!....I agree...companies don't have to do A THING. But artists can speak out/band together and inform other artists of hiring practices of big box companies. I just seem to be one of those people that think Companies are hurting artists with their "professional offers."

Yes Rockstar has been here a while but ConceptArt.org has been here far longer.

Cheers.....

Last edited by 3bleadpencil; May 23rd, 2006 at 06:03 AM.

Thanks
    qitsune Woah I wrote that?!?!...sorry, I was definitely having a bad day.
    Cheers
    3B

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.