Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another yay

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok i have decided to try to redo the chick from my previous post and make her more feminine, which is a major problem i seem to have, i also decided to go with a new pose and scrap the things i didnt like about the other one, i think there are still some problems with this one, like the shoulders being too broad and the arms, or at least the right one, might be too thick?, as well perhaps the legs are a bit thick?

anyways heres what i got so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi wareagle,

Looking through your SB and am impressed with your progress. Some good studies. I like the creature designs alot. You have a good imagination with your characters as well. Your digital paint studies are looking good!

Since you were asking about proportions on the last girl study, I thought I would post my thoughts and a paint-over to show what I mean.
    I think it's great that you are practicing figure invention and all it needs is to question where the majority of her weight is. Is it on the left leg? Does that affect how the other leg relaxes? Etc.
    So, to me, I feel that for the size of the head on your figure would require a longer body in porportion.
    Trimming down the width makes her less masculine as well. It's about asking yourself wether you want viewers to see the more elegant/feminine or depict physical strength which is generally associated with males. For me, a longer lithe figure characterizes a more feminine quality.
    Anyway, I hope you don't mind my paint-over. I thought a visual explanation would convey what I had in mind more clearly.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a great grasp on lighting and muscle structure. I'm a lil' envious haha. But on the concept for Mystery of Albesila, her legs need to be longer. The Orc/cop is leaning forward a bit much, throwing off his center of balance. Thats all I have to crit really. I love all of your sketches at the top and I'm really diggin' the digi studies. Like I said, amazing understanding of light and shadow. Thanks for checking out my SB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wip

aztecfireflower-thank you very much, and i dont mind at all that u did a paint over, i struggle with anatomy big time

havensk-thank you very much

for fun-wip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    done for now i suppose, im tryin to get faster so i gave my self a time limit, i really dont like the way the back stuff came out so i will probably try to go back and redo it some time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing some nice things here, and I have some crits that might help you:

Many of your drawings seem a bit stiff, and make me think that you arn't experimenting with your sketches enough. It often looks like you are trying to make your first stroke the right stroke, which is extremely difficult to do. I'd suggest you to loosen up a bit in the early stages of your sketches, so that your figures will have more jesture and life to them. Don't be afraid to erase (if something looks wrong, then fix it)... if you can draw it once, then you can draw it again.

Also, It's good to see you studying anatomy. You'll benefit greatly from understanding how the body works and moves, but you should also draw from life as often as possible. Bring a small sketchbook around wherever you go (school, the park, the zoo, the movies) and just draw what you see. This will force you to draw quickly, and you will start to learn how to simplify the form. I also highly suggest attending live model sessions... you can never get enough figure drawing.

As for your painting, it's good to see you seperating your values, but for most situations, all you will need are 5: two lights, two darks, and a midtone. Your paintings often come out muddy, and it's difficult to tell where exactly the main lightsource is located. In my opinion, you use the midtones far too often. They should be used extremely sparingly, where they are absolutely necessary. You MUST keep your lights and dark areas seperate. Also, remember that all of the details should be focused in the lights. Dark areas do not require much detail to read, and putting too many can often be distracting to a composition.

Lastly, I highly recommend learning to paint with REAL paints before crossing over to the computer (it's so easy to spot people who know nothing but photoshop, compared to those who obviously learned how to paint with actual brushes.) Paint from refs and life for practice.

This is all I can think to write at the moment. Goodluck and keep posting!

-eh-kī-noh

P.S.: Art isn't a science, and all of the things I've told you are my own opinions for how you can progress faster. Their are always exceptions to the rules.

Last edited by eh-kī-noh; May 6th, 2007 at 02:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eh-ki-noh: thank you for your comments , i agree with all you've said, its funny cause i actually had one of my instructers tell me recently that my digital paintings were really muddy

this one is a something i did recently for a class im taking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is another for the same class, we needed to come up with a prop, i chose to do a handgun, its supposed to sort of be a futuristic take on the desert eagle

i modeled out a quick low poly model of the gun and painted over my render

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some more stuff.........same class

had to design an environment (outside and then one room inside of the same structure) i went for a mix of modern architecture and sci-fi, the basis is that its in the future and a civil war is raging and scattered through the environment are these spec-ops/ merc installations

i did this one the same way as the gun, i built the environments real quick in max and painted on top of the render(to save time)

outside

inside

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new one for the same class, created it the same as the last two as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i plan on painting this one this weekend, started as a joke, but meh its somethin different than schoolwork

it'll be a wild mutated hog/pig fairy thing........should be fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These suck....;P

Great work man, you really got the skills to be a previs artist.

oh yeah, the Male Previs looks a lot like you only add the hair and its you screaming...^_^

THE CAKE IS A LIE
    THE CAKE IS A LIE
    THE CAKE IS A LIE

Dark_Maggot's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wip

work in progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some more stuff for the same class, i don't know which one i like better of these two so I will post both

and the cropped one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your value studies. Your linework is also nice. The style of your characters and the way you treat the planes in your value sketches remind me a lot of Simon Dominic. You've got some anatomy issues though, maybe you should do more studies from life. Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another schoolwork thing

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.