Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wii blitz

Thanks

Wii blitz

Gather Nintendo bretheren it is almost upon us a golden shower of Wiivolutionary gaming history (excuse the bad pun but I'm really a fan...really). I'm off to work soon and a hope to witness gaming history before I do. Bit early but post your thoughts and opinions here about Nintendo Wii. I'm sure lots of you will be ecstatic about what you will witness at E3.
    SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg... it begins in just under 30 mins... 0_______0
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    i'm waiting for them to reveal the real name. supposedly "Wii" isn't registered in any country.
    polylover.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    It's a pity the NES/SNES games will be 'a couple of bucks' though, although you'll probably get some coupons with the console, games, campaigns etc. They'll have to make up for that with moddability... changing graphics, making your own dungeons in Zelda etc. I wonder if they'll allow save-stating, time-altering, screenshots etc... I'm a bit disappointed by the recent 'throw in a photo backround into a NES game' -spree. It's clashes too much, plus it's incredibly lazy.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    sold my xbox 360 the other day. heard about the price for the PS3 and laughed. looks like nintendo wins again!! i'll be lining up on release day.

Thanks
    That was sooooo cool Myamoto playing tenis but then my game spot feed cut. off to work now (crap labouring ) keep posting buys.
    SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''

Thanks
    I got to see most of the important stuff (besides the contest thing at the end) and I have to say I was deeply impressed. I'm assuming that the Wii will be at most $300, (if not less) and that at first makes it easy for me to want to buy. However when they announced that Zelda: Twilight Princess would be a launch title that kind of sold the entire package for me. The way they built in the remote functionality seems really impressive. It's cool that they're releasing it on the Game Cube as well, but I doubt the GC version will sell very well. Let's just hope that Nintendo makes the Wii as available as the PS3. (In terms of number of units produced)

Mario looks great too, I hope to see some more about it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    It's a pity the NES/SNES games will be 'a couple of bucks' though, although you'll probably get some coupons with the console, games, campaigns etc. They'll have to make up for that with moddability... changing graphics, making your own dungeons in Zelda etc. I wonder if they'll allow save-stating, time-altering, screenshots etc... I'm a bit disappointed by the recent 'throw in a photo backround into a NES game' -spree. It's clashes too much, plus it's incredibly lazy.
    The price for the games seems a bit high in my opinon, but that will reduce my compulsive hoarding habit (I know that they are aiming right at this).
    If I remember correctly then there will be no modding for the old games and Nintendo will upgade no graphics. No code change in the games so no official modding tools. Read that in some article/report some days ago (some E3 preperation thing).

'I'm a bit disappointed by the recent 'throw in a photo backround into a NES game' -spree' Huh, what? I don't exactly understand what you are writing there. 'throw in a photo background'?

Edit: I think one of the box-art things for DS looked like they will add a game with some boargames like chess, backgammon,... and there was a sudoku (not brain age) for multiplayer or something like that.

BTW 1up.com had a live stream from the confrence (in finished just a minute ago). I found that streamover gametab.com.

They had
    - Zelda: it will be released for Wii and GC but I don't know if they meant two different boxes and discs or if the additional bonus thingies for the Wii will be on the GC disc. Sword & shield fighting looks good and nice. Bow was interrupting, changing to the aim view and getting hit by an enemy that throws you back to normal view didn't look that funny. But I haven't played any Zelda since 'A Link To The Past' so I don't know how it works out because they said that it should be familiar to Zelda players (OoT). Zelda on DS looked interesting. Sword fighting looks really fun.

- Red Steel: I didn't really like it. It looks just like any other FPS. Yeah you have all that freedom but you are still just running around and shoting at stuff. And the few interactivity features didn't look that inpressive. Enemy AI with leaders who command the guys around them. The only funthing was the time stop feature that you can use. Time stops and you see weak points (disarm an opponent,...) and have some time to place hits. Then when the game turns to normal your move gets executed. That move then looks like in a fun action: "Four shots, five kills" style .

- Wii Sports: Baseball, Golf, Tennis. All on one disk (I think that's what he said). Up to four player (and they had the heads of the Nintendo guys playing pased on the models, but I don't think that's a feature). They played tennis and it looked like a fun (more arcade/action style) tennis. Use Wii-more like a racket, and for top spin, lobs, and all. Just the Wii-mote, no add-on controler.

- Super Mario Galaxy: Mario was running around on some 'planets' that were about the size of rooms. Like walking around on a big ball. Sometimes flying around in the galaxy. I really don't know how the worlds are connected and how it exactly works. But think of it as Mario 64 in 3d, real 3d, not graphics but movement. Some sort of gravity was on these rooms and you could walk around but they added these galaxy flying things and cut all that together so I don't know where they changed level (or of th changed level). The Flying could be some sort of level like the slide where you could gather some coins. I don't know. Some times itlooked normal with jumping and enemies. But it looked fun.

- DS games: Starfox, Yoshi's Island, Zelda, some Mario basket ball but these last two are not new IIRC

- Wii, has a always stand-by mode so you can download stuff while you are sleeping, it's doesn't use much power. I don't know if it has a power off button but it probably has.

Edit: FF chrystal chronicles for Wii and DS, some sudoku multiplayer for DS

Edit 2: They had a very short bit about a new Sonic game for Wii but no real info, just video of gameplay (I think), looked very fly-float-style like some parts of Mario Galaxy.

Edit 3: No price announced on E3 but some guy got EGM early and posted at http://www.neogaf.com/ forums that the Wii will be $249. And virtual console downloads: nes = a few dollars, snes = $5, N64 = $10

Edit 4: Speaker in the Wii-mote so when you use buw in Zelda you hear the string tension and how the arrow flies off at your Wii and the final impact with flight sound at your TV = some sort of 3d sound

Edit 5: Excite Truck (see: Excitebike) just with Wiimote and 3d, don't know what to think of that, it was just a short video.
    Last edited by _Mario; May 9th, 2006 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks
    Just watched the whole conference... ah fuck it im not even gonna bother, im just gonna go back to downloading more vids and getting more info. I WANT MY WII NOW DAMMIT!!
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    What I meant about throwing in backrounds was, taking an old game, then use a photo or a happy painting as a paralax background. It's an easy way to 'update' old games. Too me that ruins it, as sometimes a pitch black sterile background is good for increasing readability of sprite movement, and why can't a game world be sterile and spooky?

I think N likes to use simple existing hardware (arm processors(handhelds), dvd tech in the case of wii) for their stuff, so production might be easier and cheaper for them. Might prevent supply shortages too.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Fuck it, new post:
    Project hammer: some fighing game, like final fight in 3d and with a hammer, duh.

Disaster: Don't know, some videos,... Some natural disaster is your enemy (I think). I have not seem much. It's some new IP like Project Hammer.

Fire emblem: someone kicking someone else, and I thought it was a strategy RPG.

Oh, and Zelda again: Iron Boots, and some machine that has a magnet so Link gets drawn up and turns upside down. The thing move along some rails and I think it's supposed to drop him somewhere by stopping the magnet but I looked away for a few seconds.

Tony Hawk Whatever, don't know the name but I think for Wii and DS multiplayer and all that stuff.

Rayman, Ubisoft, just fropping names, they didn't have any info on that, and most other 3rd party stuff

Madden...

Edit: I only saw the stream from about Zelda demo time, so I don't know what happend at the beginning.
    And Red Steel Sword fighting didn'tlooktaht impressive too. Wii-mote for attack and left hand for parry.

And Diddy Kong Racing, and Some bits of the new Super Mario for DS, as well as Final Fantasy 3 (the real 3). New Pokemon,...

Plus they had a some ad-style videos flying around. Isn't that somehow useless in that enviroment? That audience there is already here for more info, no need to bait them in like the normal consumer.

The always on feature is called 'Wii Connect 24'

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    What I meant about throwing in backrounds was, taking an old game, then use a photo or a happy painting as a paralax background. It's an easy way to 'update' old games. Too me that ruins it, as sometimes a pitch black sterile background is good for increasing readability of sprite movement, and why can't a game world be sterile and spooky?

I think N likes to use simple existing hardware (arm processors(handhelds), dvd tech in the case of wii) for their stuff, so production might be easier and cheaper for them. Might prevent supply shortages too.
    Got it. Adding cheap bonus stuff so people but the same stuff again and again. And yup it looks like Nintendo is going with cheaper hardware. That could pay off in the end. Good sales and making money on the console, games, and internet downloads (classics and whatever) while Microsoft and Sony use the money they make to lower the hardware losses. And who knows. Their hardware is cheaper than the other two. They could with luck and an increased user base consisting of a lot of new 'never-played-a-game-gamers', Nintendo fans, and all the other people who buy the Wii as a secondary system end up being the winner in this generations race for most consoles sold.
    Last edited by _Mario; May 9th, 2006 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    I'm going to e3 tommorow and hopefully I can get a chance to play it. I will bring back juicy photos!

Thanks
    Any place to down the vids yet? I was bussy eating burrito's ).
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    Argh missed out on the WII action this evening, damned timezones grmbllzzz .

Ey Floris I think you can check out the conference on gamespot tomorrow. Just follow the link from the nintendo webpage. We can then just try and act like we didn't hear about all the cool WII games and act like it's the first time we saw it.....

Did anyone else hope to see a VR helmet..... or am I the only one. I really thought the pinpoint controller was a giveaway...... never should have believed the rumors for a VR helmet Ah well still looking forward to play with my WII.....

Thanks

Thanks
    Cheers prom.
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts

Thanks
    Zelda, Mario, Red Steal, thats what I meant!
    Last edited by Spacemanchuck; May 11th, 2006 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mario
    WOW!!!! I have to start saving my pennies now. I must (MUST) own this thing as soon as is humanly possible. I would import right now if it were out in Japan -- no hesitation. What's the rumor? November 2006?
    -------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    ........damn.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    The speaker in the controller feature really seemed like a really weird, and fairly useless feature at first. But then I realised what it's for. They're tailor-making this console to support the most kickass lightsaber fighting game ever! Not only will you be able to control the lightsaber by swinging the remote, but the signature lightsaber hum will be coming right out of your hand! Why haven't they announced this game yet?!

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Not only that, it would seem like they can balance the sound from the remote to the TV too, creating an illusion of traveling sound as you shoot a rocket or whatever.

Thanks
    Did they say something about the Wii using the same amount of power as a light bulb? I'm sure they did and that's well done on Nintendo's behalf, these electronic devices need to be more envorinmentaly friendly these days and this is small step in the right direction. I hope this feature has i bit of an impact, but being we, as fans will probably care more about the games, next to the power bill and way waaaay back, in our minds the environment. sad but i think it's true.

edit:edit: There's still all the plastic, packaging, periphials and stuff so I guess it's a very small step in the right direction.
    Last edited by Latu; May 11th, 2006 at 07:25 AM.
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Nii: the lightbulb thing was about the Connect 24 service (read: fancy stand-by mode). I hope you can really shut it down and the Conncet 24 service is optional because I don't think if I had the console that I would be downloading data all night. And it will use less power than the other two because it's more of a fine tunig of the GC with some peatures added and not a whole new system like the other two. It doesn't look much bigger than a real book too.

Thanks
    Well its not exactly fine tuning of the GC... It's not going to be a super computer monsterous number cruncher but it is an all new system. I've heard from various places that it will be 4 or 5 times faster than the GC, and looking at some of the screens you can definitaly tell.

What do you guys think about the "depth of sound" feature in the Wii-mote? I can't wait to draw back Links bow and hear it right next to my ear. And the chuck is motion sensitive as well, how fucking awsome!!! I really need to find something to think about and put my energy into untill Wii's released. It's just too much.

have you guys checked out the new Smash Bros? SMASH BROS

Not like you guys haven't all looked this up by now but here is the new snazy Wii site Nintendo has put up.

Wii
    Last edited by Spacemanchuck; May 11th, 2006 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks
    I think Wii has a definite advantage with being not to pricey and being able to appeal to a wider audience and casual gaming. It might be a lot easier for kids to persuade their parents into getting one. I think they really made a lot of right choices here.

I can imagine LucasArts doing a lightsaber game, and releasing it with a custom lightsaber handle styled aluminium wiimote.

Thanks
    Thanks for clearing that up Mario.

Yup the Wiimote speaker is a really cool function, adds more depth, especialy if you don't have a surround sound set up.

Snake in Smash bros that was unexpected. I wonder if that means there will be an MGS game for Wii. Has anyone caught the High def off screen footage of Mario Galaxies, the boss battle is reminiscent of the Quadraxis boss battle in MP2. Anyways it's looking like the best Mario game ever so far.

"I can imagine LucasArts doing a lightsaber game, and releasing it with a custom lightsaber handle styled aluminium wiimote."

Periphrials galore my friend .
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Everything looks kickass, though, honestly, after being brought so high by everything there, it was kind of a punch in the gut to find neither Smash nor Mario Galaxy would be available at launch. Hey, I'm willing to wait 'til 2007 for a Smash with Solid Snake and maybe even some Sega characters, and my Wii's still gonna be on preorder. If WiiSports is kept under $20, I just might pick it up with the console, too. Seems like a fun diversion to go along with Twilight Princess.

Thanks
    I wonder how well the wiimote really handles, it seemed a bit jittery in some videos, and apparently Red Steel isn't that good at using it (according to recent reports).

Edit: Hmm I've heard that they don't have WASD strafing on the nunchuck analog stick and 'mouse' view turning with the wiimote, which would seem like the obvious way to do it.
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; May 12th, 2006 at 12:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast