Sony's E3 Presentation
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sony's E3 Presentation

Anyone else watching the Sony E3 presentation? They revealed their controller. It looks exactly the same as their PS2 controller but it has 16 degrees rotation built in via bluetooth. It seems like the built in rotation was a Nintendo ripoff afterthought.

They had some realtime demos but a lot were still pre-rendered videos.

They are going to be selling the 20Gb $499US and the 60Gb version $599US.

Nintendo and Microsoft are coming out tomorrow and you can watch for free at Gamespot.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There was a time when people thought it was crazy for Sony to enter into the console market. Nobody knew what to expect from a "Playstation", but both of their major competitors dropped the ball -- the Sega Saturn's dual processor architecture was too hard to develop for and focused more on 2D graphics than 3D and Nintendo's N64 was just primitive. Cartridges? Talk about behind the times. Sony had a half-ounce of foresight, making a console that was easy to develop for (and cheap as dirt to make) that focused more on 3D processing than 2D, and they became the industry leader (thanks also to a Sony Inc. first -- they made 3rd party licensing easy and painless which they have since stopped in the PS2).

It was good design on one hand that made the PSX a good console (in spite of it's many hardware design flaws). And it was lucky for Sony that their competitors didn't make the right choices at the same time. Is it Sony's turn to make the mistakes this generation? I haven't seen a single thing about the PS3 that makes me even remotely interested in buying one, and at those prices, it's pretty much a guarantee that I won't now.

Sony still has their brand and giant marketing machine going for them so they could end up on top this generation by default (much the same way Microsoft always does). I don't know if they have the chutzpah to lie about the PS3's capabilities they way they did with the PS2 prior to its launch (which I will never stop bringing up or forgive them for), but I wouldn't put it past them. I wouldn't put it past them to have a crappy game line up for a year either (again).

Frankly, I don't trust Sony anymore, and not just SCEA, but the whole company -- what with the CD malware scandal, their idiotic insistence on using ATRAC instead of MP3 in their music players, the brain dead DRM in the Libre and their inability to learn from their licensing mistakes with their media technology (going from Memory Stick and MiniDiscs all the way back to BetaMax)... I've yet to see any indication that BluRay won't meet the same fate.

I used to buy Sony stuff almost exclusively -- I still have a lot of it (still love my monitor). But lately, it seems like Sony is less and less reliable as a whole. They won't be getting any more of my money. I've already decided to stop throwing good money after bad. From now on, it's different cameras, computers, DVD players, peripherals and consoles. Sony always turns a profit from these debacles, but it always ends up being at the expense of the consumer who buys their product. I'm through with them altogether.

-------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was really disappointed with their show. Maybe they'll pull out the big guns later in the week. Showing MGS4 first instead of last means they have something amazing to show later, or they don't have squat.... Can't believe they ripped off Nintendos idea...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/4815/

PLEASE read that article before you go around calling Sony "rip-off artists".... The article is dated back in 2003, and shows that they've been at least thinking about it before the "wiimote" was released.

I'm not a fanboy, and I'll probably end up buying both the Wii and the PS3. I'm really glad the dualshock hasn't been replaced, honestly. The design happens to be perfect for my hands. And naturally if it works for me I couldn't give a crap what anyone else says. With the addition (or subtraction, depending how you look at it) of taking away the vibration function is a godsend. Dumbest feature ever... am I playing a video game or using a sex toy?

I'm excited for Nintendo's press conference, they should be showing the controller in action. (just speculation, it would seem like a good idea on their part) And I hope they go, "Hahaha, we're just joking... It's the Revolution still."

...And I couldn't care less what Microsoft has to say. Their console is already out. Although, I might admit that if anything I might be an "anti-Microsoft fanboy". I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise, either.

...Yes I use Windows, stfu.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gory
    http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/4815/

PLEASE read that article before you go around calling Sony "rip-off artists".... The article is dated back in 2003, and shows that they've been at least thinking about it before the "wiimote" was released.

I'm not a fanboy, and I'll probably end up buying both the Wii and the PS3. I'm really glad the dualshock hasn't been replaced, honestly. The design happens to be perfect for my hands. And naturally if it works for me I couldn't give a crap what anyone else says. With the addition (or subtraction, depending how you look at it) of taking away the vibration function is a godsend. Dumbest feature ever... am I playing a video game or using a sex toy?

I'm excited for Nintendo's press conference, they should be showing the controller in action. (just speculation, it would seem like a good idea on their part) And I hope they go, "Hahaha, we're just joking... It's the Revolution still."

...And I couldn't care less what Microsoft has to say. Their console is already out. Although, I might admit that if anything I might be an "anti-Microsoft fanboy". I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise, either.

...Yes I use Windows, stfu.

it's actually 6 degrees of motion-detection --- and Kirby Tilt'n'tumble for the Gameboy Color actually had that many ranges of tilt sensetivity when it was released in Japan August 26, 2000 ---- it's just funny that Sony comes out now with such an "almost there" approach

-------
    still I hope there's some fun games that will use the functionality, and if anything help provide a bridge for 3rd party between PS3 and Wii ..... but shameless on Sony's part
    -------

but to put the motion-sensetivity in perspective --- the WiiMote + Nunchuck is basically two PS3 controllers, with axis rotation right-handed, laserlike frontal aiming, and distance recognition.
    The PS3 controller is now, basically the sensetivity of Wii's nunchuck .... and I'm hearing no rumble?

Wednesday should be damn interesting...
    MGS4 looks damn damn awesome though!!! ---- Warhawk is kinda' a letdown for me, since I put so many of my hours into the origional back in the day .... the new one just doesn't seem to have that 'wonder'

lets hope the Microsoft and nintendo press-conferences are more inspiring

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bah, I always immediately shut off rumble anyway. You know it damages the nerve endings in your fingers right? Besides, I've never actually felt that it "immersed" me any more in a videogame.

It FEELS like I'm mowing the lawn, a sensation I'd rather only have to endure when once a week during the warm months.

I'd really like to hear why people like that function so much.

MGS4 seems like a show stealer to me. I mean wtf? It seriously looks like the end of the series to me. A pretty intense one at that. I've been hearing since MGS2 that Kojima was tired with the series. It's a great one though... Although I do personally favor seeing new worlds, and I've never really liked direct sequels. Final Fantasy tends not to bother me because they're not real sequels, except for this crap that they've been doing lately that has me beside myself. I'm unsure how to take it all. The thing I liked about Final Fantasy was it was a NEW world and story every game. Now FF7 has what, 6 sequels and prequels? Way to milk it, Square.

Although Nintendo will probably have a lot of goodies for us. (They'd better)

I doubt Microsoft will have anything substantial to give (non-biased, really)... Although I heard something about a handheld system. Frig. To quote the Beatles, "It's all too much," I barely can keep up with the home consoles. I've never liked handhelds much either. Reading or sketching seems like a better thing to do while I'm waiting.

Last edited by Gory; May 9th, 2006 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rumble is definately a squandered function, since it could be used so well for a game communicating to the player ------
    Crazy Taxi was always a great example, that you could feel the rumble of the secret 'dash' move before any visuals or sounds --- it was a quick method of communication if you did the dash or not, if you didn't feel any rumble quckly do the dash combination while you had a fighting chance!

Rez is a great use of rumble ---- mmmmm feal da music's phat beat : ]

i personally don't want to see rumble go anywhere, since it's barely been experemented on ---- I didn't like giving up rumble at all for the Wavebird, but I predict Sony will likely add vibration back into the PS3 since it's such industry standard

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I heard it was taken out of the controller due to some lawsuit... I really don't have a link for you. It's one of those word of mouth things. Sorry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They drop the rumble for a half assed tilt sensor, keep the same crappy controller design, and most of all... they price it at 500! Thats 100 more than the 360 for neglibly different graphics!

No sale.

None at all.

Also, you can't really compare the wiimote and the tilt sensor on the ps3 controller. Tilt is only one of the the wiimote does, it can also tell where you are pointing it and how much you have moved it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm E3 gossip! I can't wait for the day I can go. I'm just excited to see all the kick ass games that are coming with this next generation. Wii has me wetting my pants, and really I'm pretty excited about PS3 too. They can't match the wiimote nomater how hard they try. Nintendo is just gonna shock the crap out of people with what they have going on no doubt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's me still hoping the ps3 will use the additional processing power for more interesting game mechanics. Going to read up on e3 now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sammy, I thought Warhawk was one of the highlights. I played the heck out of the first one, (still have my copy actually). I just wish they were showing more of it. Genji 2 looked sweet too. But nothing made me want to plunk down 500-600 for it. Not even Metal Gear...

Im assuming they have some amazing stuff to show. Notice that they didn't show Killzone or Motorstorm. Perhaps, they will have some amazing REAL TIME stuff on these. I don't think they can afford not to blow people away this year. That can't be all they have...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude the eye of death eye toy demo was soooo cool. To me that is a really interesting new game play device that rivals nintendos wiimote, to an extent. But not really...

Still that was really cool, like playing magic and your monsters come to life, yah!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone else think the screens from Warhawk are ... less than impressive? I mean, i didn't expect the game to look like the trailer, but damn.
    Indiana Jones on the other hand looks fun. Hope they have more good stuff to show.

Hehehe, GTA IV announced. No other information was made available. I hate Rockstar games for always doing that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't believe Sony would do this. If this is true, then it sounds like they will be splitting there market even further. Gezzzzz. Guess its 360 time for me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4760553.stm

To me, its stupid to have these types of differences between the machines. One is far superior and the other for a slightly less price has many less options. They would have been better off just making the one machine and dropping the price a little. Or just giving it a 30-40 gig HD or 20gig with the possiblity of adding one later. I dunno what these guys are thinking...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im not a big fan o Sony,

But I think its kinda silly to lambast them for not having a HDMI port. You CAN have HD without HDMI. The 360 does not have HDMI either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd have to agree with you Scubasteve, I mean if someone is already prepared to drop that sort of cash it really dosn't make sense. It also really sets people up for a wicked case of buyers remourse. I know if I was almost ready to get the PS3 and I was at 500 bucks I might jump the gun cause I wanted to play so badly. But then a month later I'd regreting that I didn't wait for the better version... I don't know, I just feel like if someone is ready to make that kind of buy, they've already made a huge comitment and should get the best that Sony offers.

John O the Warhawk screens seemed abit unpolished, but the dude said they would look much better in the final and that there was abunch of effects taken out for the show for some reason.

Spacemanchuck dude spaceman, I know, that demo was a show stoper!!! Eye of friggin DEATH!!! Those monsters were unbelievably cool, like they said it looked like the holigram chess from starwars, but even better!!! I can't wait to start collecting my cards.

Speeking of Starwars, I really want to play Starwars Lego whatever 2! Looks retardedly fun!

Cya

Last edited by Spacemanchuck; May 11th, 2006 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, i didn't even know what hdmi is. Looked it up, and nope, don't need it. Don't need memory card slot either when i have a hard drive. Extra hard drive space? Not needed. WiFi? What for? Really, i have no use for any of that stuff. Only thing i could use is a ps3, which i'd buy without the extras for 600€ if i had the money.
    Warhawk doesn't look so bad in the gameplay videos. Something about the screens i guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You may need an HDMI output if there is content (movies, games) that have ICT on it. I read an article a few months back of someone wanting to ban the forthcoming HDTV disc formats (Toshibas HDDVD and Sony's Blu-Ray). I'm sorry, I can't find the article anymore but here is a link to what Image Constraint Token is (LINK).

So, let's say you buy a brand new HDTV and a PS3 without the HDMI Output, then some movie studio releases a blu-ray disc with ICT on it. Your video is downgraded from 1920 by 1080 pixels to 960 by 540, which is just a little higher than a regular dvd.

I read from that original article that Toshiba doesn't want any analogue component outputs (the red, blue and green ones) on any of their HD-DVD players. Only HDMI. That will be telling early adopters of HDTV to go buy a new tv with an HDMI.

If Sony is claiming their PS3 is "future-proof" then they better start telling people why they didn't put an HDMI port on the cheaper PS3. It could bite people in the ass in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was my point too. I think its dumb for them to make two consoles with different connectors like that, and the inability to upgrade. A HD is one thing, but ports and connectors are something else, then you have compatibilites and so fourth. These problems plagued the PS2 as well. When you shell out 500 dollars for a console, you aren't going to want to invest another 50 bucks for extra controller ports, 50 bucks for network adapters, 100 bucks for a bigger HD. That kind of thing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good points, but as has already been said, if you are only interested in a PS3 for games and don't care about Blu-Ray movie playback, then HDMI is irrelevant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The Blue-Ray player is expensive though, so you'd be paying a lot of money for it, probably a lot more than the actual gaming hardware, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't understand much about the HD?? stuff either, other than it reeks of DRM and also seems quite unecessary, sort of like putting 512mb ram in a pocket calculator for storing extra decimal points.

I'm guessing Sony (and maybe MS) would probably rather have this console war coming a year later, the HD?? stuff seem to be a little early for the general consumer. DVD is working just fine atm.

On a related note, Who would win in a battle between Snake vs. Master Chief?

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to think Snake would win that fight. He is SOOOO much more of a badass.... although I must say I have a bias... I like MGS games, while I never figured out what was so wonderful about Halo. Snake seems like he can move a bit faster in his stealth suit, while I would imagine master chief to be clunky and slow. ... Plus Snake seems to be a more masterful tactician ;P

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.