Thanks

Lightbulb Challenge: Satan Based on Medieval Paintings

Hello, I'm very new here and not that talented of an artiste, but I try. I don't know what the rules here are, but from what I see I shall make an effort... sorry if I'm way off base or anything, feel free to smite me and what not.

Now, my idea is as this, and yes it may be a bit for my own personal gain... if you've read my other posts, then they're all concerning this movie my friends and I are making. But that doesn't mean that we can't all have fun, right? I'll post mine, too, if you're supposed to do that in these battle stages... I don't know. But yeah, I'll be the judge of the contest I suppose. And if you really don't mind, I'd like to use one in my movie?? But if you don't want me to, I totally understand!

Now, as for my idea... I have always loved medieval and reinessance [sic] paintings of Heaven and Hell, angels and demons... I feel that they are way better and deeper, signifying more, just by the concepts in them than most of the stuff of today. More was fit into a single frame, a certain angle of the face, than many people can boast to put into their creations nowadays, because, I think, they had a vast well of knowledge and inspiration to draw on: the bible, Dante, Milton, previous works, and the works of William Blake (http://www.fantasyarts.net/dragons/d...liam_Blake.jpg) and Hieronymous Bosch (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...t/delightd.jpg) (to name a few) are amazing. Now, the only problem with these paintings is that they became somewhat convoluted with their level of detail, so here is where I offer my challenge...

Your task, if you should choose to accept it, is to create a rendition of Satan that does not follow today's watered-down, Hollywood version of a man in a business suit, a guy with horns, or some disgusting wraith, but the way that the devil was portrayed when he was first introduces visually to the world: as a horrible beast, yet still proud and a king of Hell. Just the devil, maybe a couple props, but not an entire scene. Just the Prince of Darkness, Old Horny, That Old Serpent, in all of his fallen glory.

I'm thinking maybe ten days from now (May 7th, so May 17th) for the deadline? Tell me what you guys think, please!

-Savatage

If you want to do some concepts out of the goodness of your heart for a film,

afterhere@hotmail.com

is the place to e-mail.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Are you challenging all against each other? Or will you be joining in this challenge, too?

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Hey, Savatage. I sent you an e-mail, I'm not sure if you got it but I'm interested (as far as the movie is concerned).This topic is sweet. Let the satanic games begin!

Thanks
    I would be posting my own as well. And yes, all against each other, I suppose. Iunno, just seemed kinda fun to me

And thanks Grack, I got your email.

Thanks
    yeah, nice topic!
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Why thank you, Gringoloco, I appreciate that. So I assume you're interested?

Thanks
    Interesting idea, though I do disagree with your viewing hollywood's business suit devil as watered down...(reminds me of a story explaining where the vampires, ghosts, demons and monsters went in the modern age...), personally I felt the devil's avocate version made for a fairly good devil... but I digress...

Thanks
    That's actually true, I did like Pacino as Old Horny. But it still pails, in my eyes, to old views of him. So I don't really know the rules... how many people need be interested before we can begin?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Savatage
    So I don't really know the rules... how many people need be interested before we can begin?
    So as i can tell all you need is at least two entrants, then you make a new thread with a poll of the pieces on here, and let people vote.
    But if your judging when you feel you have enough entrants you make your choice instead of the poll.

Thanks
    hi people.

sweet topic!
    here is my work for the thread.
    Challenge: Satan Based on Medieval Paintings
    Last edited by ARACUBUS; May 14th, 2006 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks
    yes i'm interested & i should be able to come up with some ideas soon... ARCABUS your work is very good... i'm just disturbed by the ugly blurry effects.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    yes,. i will touch the background. and add some texture on the armor.

Thanks
    Sorry, everyone. I don't think I'll be able to make the deadline. I love this topic though.

Thanks
    Hey Grendel,

I'd be more than happy to extend the deadline for you, especially because you're helping out with the movie and stuff, and it doesn't seem like too many people are interested. So the deadline won't really be any time... let's say that when enough people have posted their pictures I can begin judging? (I think I can judge...) I'm going to post my drawing soon, but that won't be in the final running. I want to see everyone's ideas, so take more time if needed.

God bless!

Thanks
    And I forgot to say, great job, Aracubus!

Thanks
    Savatage: I'm currently preparing to go to a convention, so my art making time is non-existant at this point. I was hoping to have something done last week, but that didn't happen. If you still want stuff for the movie, e-mail me with some specifics and I can give you a quote. Just keep in mind, it will be about two weeks until I can commit some real time to a concept.

Thanks

heres my devil guy not that old school...

I'm up for another challenge... this was a fun quick piece....

Challenge: Satan Based on Medieval Paintings

any of u guys competing in last man???
    "It's on the strength of observation and reflection that one finds a way. So we must dig and delve unceasingly." da man CM...

Thanks
    I've got one done, I just have to go to my buddy's place to scan it. But come on people, send in your Satan paintings!!