Thanks

Trying out new site; Feedback?

im trying out a new site designed so that i can easily upgrade it etc.

i would love to get some fresh eyes and feedback on things like if it opens well, loads well, general layout, navigation etc.

comments and crits greatly appreciated.

edit - maybe i should include the url?
    new site
    Last edited by tensai; May 5th, 2006 at 10:48 AM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Funny..you normally link to the site when you post this kinda stuff.

Thanks

Red face

yeah i know, i cant believe i just did that...
    tensai

Thanks

Thanks
    I like it. It's nice and simple, and very easy to navigate. Three things bug me about it though:

1) The text at the bottom of the main page is a bit out of place.
    2) The font you use for pic descriptions etc is pretty bland. In fact, it's very bland, and it clashes with the nice stylish navbar you have. I'd say the bright white color is also rather harsh, and a light gray would work better.
    3) The thumbnail descriptions are just filename gibberish, which really isn't something anyone needs or wants to know. You can just as well let the thumbnails stand by themselves unless you want to rename every pic to something more descriptive.

Nice site though. You've dodged the "ZOMG lets make this cool flash thing here, and some shit over here, and popups EVERYWHERE" mentality, which is really good to see.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Looks good and the only disappointing thing for me was that the images could be a bit larger when clicked on. You have a lot of detail that should be viewed better to take in everything.

Thanks
    ok thanks for checking it out and leaving me with some thoughts.

fellah - when you finsih grinning, please do. would love to hear what you think of it.

dfacto - thanks for the clear feedback.
    1 - agreed. moved it around quite a bit over time. still not 'there' yet.
    2 - here i think we just differ in taste. i love that bland font (courier) and am not a big fan of the more stylish one really. i do think using two different fonts (something i wouldnt do normally) works in this case. although im not totally sure yet. good call about the white versus light grey text. will try that out to see how it works.
    3 - in some places yes. in the design section they are actually titles and descriptions of the projects when you click on the thumbnails. in the sketches and other sections theyre just filing names. i use that so that its easier for people to refer to a certain image easier. (im also using this same set up to show images to people i work with or for). unless you think its really ruining things, ill keep it.

madplanet - i know, its a compromise of speed/quantity/quality and size. for now i opted to provide some close ups like in the illustrations section. might do that with some photos as well..

again, thanks for commenting. would love to hear more thoughts and impressions.
    tensai

Thanks
    Tokyo Parasaito is amazing man congrats, but it's awfully slow loading... maybe you should better the compression a bit?
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Looks great. I like simple designs for portfolio sites. Most of the time it's a struggle to find out where to click. One thing that happened to me is in Firefox it opens a really large popup window, like almost full screen. I don't know if that's be design or not. I personally don't like the popup window but it's something you've got to do. If you want to check out another method, I dont know exactly what script Mattias Snygg uses on his site but it's pretty slick.

Thanks
    GriNGoLoCo - thanks man, that was my master thesis project when i graduated here in tokyo. that is actually a separate old flash project i put up a couple of years ago. i have to redo that with the current set up, but ive been too busy.

rogfa - yes i wanted to keep it incredibly basic and easy to navigate but still looking good. the pop up is ment to be a quite a bit bigger than the picture, but not necessarily full screen. i'll look into changing that.

oh, and wow, nice art on that site man. thanks for showing. i also like the java slideshow thing he's using, although i do think it is a bit slow to kick in.

one thing im not sure about, but that nobody mentioned, is that i was thinking the first page is not inviting enough. i thought about putting a bigger almost full screen image on the main page, but since all the stuff i show is so varied i wasnt sure. i also like the empty space (black) the galleries have around them and like this, the main page has a similar design.

any thoughts?
    tensai

Thanks
    Yo dude. I like it alot. Simple and easy to use. It has a nice rough look. The cityscapes is still killing me - awesome! I would love to see them fill more of the popups though. I dig the black bg, but maybe try another color? I see the point with the thumbnail descriptions, but the pages would look better without them. Small time stuff, mate. Nice site and sweeeet stuff!

Thanks
    A lot of good points have already been raised, but I'll further these...

Regarding the white font - I think it's too big, and a sans serif font may be more appropriate. Also, there's too much contrast with white on black. As people have already mentioned, a grey for the white font would be better, as would something lighter (whether it be grey or colour) for the background. Just something easier on the eyes.

Thanks
    Hey there

For me your site looked very symmetrical, abit boring in a sense. The pictures on your front page can be larger , or arranged in a different ways, perhaps.
    Oh and you could do something with your typefaces.

Thanks
    i could've sworn i saw an image of singapore in your tokyo parasite page

i would say that the front page isn't inviting enough.

i'm also not sure where to look. i see some text above that look like links, and just when i'm about to read them i see pics below, thumbnails that also look like links. but yet they aren't.

for the sketches section, i would've have bothered having them open in a new window. might as well load them all on the same page. they're just sketches anyway. more attention should be drawn to designs and illustrations.

the illustrations are too small in size too, they're not that much larger than your thumbs but yet so full of detail. would be great to have them in a larger size. i don't like the navigation of the gallery either, i'd prefer an iframe than a new window but that's my own personal preference.