Ever feel like giving up?

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Ever feel like giving up?

I bought some acryllics today. I mostly draw and do digital paintings, but I've been wanting to try traditional painting lately. It was the most discouraging experience.

Seriously, does anyone ever just feel like giving up art? I read about Munch and Picasso and all those guys and I know I'll never be that good. For some reason I just feel phony. My art never seems to express what I'm really feeling, and rarely does it look pleasing at all. I feel like sh-t 99% of every day but it never comes out in my drawings. Even some depressing art would make me feel better. My sketches all just look like boring everyday crap, even when I try to let loose and give my drawing hand total freedom, even then the stuff I draw just looks boring. And when I try to focus instead on rigid rules and technique, they STILL look drab. I can't seem to capture anything on paper.

The few friends I do have are, of course, very supportive and tell me how great my stuff is and all that, but the truth is most of the time I don't even have fun doing art, I just keep trying to push myself further and further to get better and better without ever really accomplishing anything. I try to just enjoy it and have fun with it but I feel lost in front of the sketchpad/monitor/canvas. It intimidates me. I don't know how to express what I'm feeling.

Sometimes I just don't want to ever pick up a pencil or brush again. Seems like theres no point to it sometimes.

k... anyways no reply is necessary. I just felt like bitching in a public forum. (sorry)

This too shall pass.
    My Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1) stop trying to be good, and draw regardless if its shit or not. If you are thinking shit your art will look like shit. If you just study and let your mind loose, then your hands will do the real talking for you.

2) There is no time frame for getting "good." If you do make a time frame then I am sorry to say you are bound to fail over and over and over and over and over. Instead, look at point #1 and repeat often.

3) Don't give up...don't ever give up. Thats your weak side giving in and letting you know that its so much easier to give up and follow along a path less challenging. Just trust what you are doing and leave your ego at the back door ( i mean ego as in when you look at a piece you are working on and you say "my thats shit").

4) Every single person on these forums has felt like giving up at one point or another....so don't think you are alone. Life gets in the way...but don't let it kill your art.

5) Draw. Draw. Draw. Paint. Draw. Sculpt. Whatever.

Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration....one of the best quotes ever.

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was going to write something about how my little breakthroughs (though very tiny) always make me feel like I'm taking steps forward, but Tetsuo posted just before I did, and seeing his hit-the-nail-on-the-head advice, I don't think my story is needed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DireZen, you sound exactly like me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait a minute. Step back into your post again and see what you posted.

Are you trying to be some fucking incredible once in a millenium art genius?

Or are you just someone who enjoys the experience?

How can someone be great without enjoying the process is beyond me. If you're not enjoying it...or if it has ceased to give you enjoyment...maybe its time to take a step back and breathe in.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    smile and practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The more you draw the less time you have to notice how shit it is!
    Just learn to love the process, getting better as you go is just icing on the cake.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're in the middle of a crisis, it will pass : )
    Sounds corny but the important thing now is that you learn something.

Ask yourself what you want out of drawing/painting. Do you need to be good to support yourself? Do you want to make it your carrerr? Is it a hobby? My guess is that you're giving it too much importance without a solid reason, but then again I don't really know. If thats the case, just don't give it that much importance, especially if its something that causes you distress. Its just drawing man, if its something that gets you so worked up, there's no reason to do it. No one is pointing a gun to your head, so screw drawing and go have fun. Find something you like.

Then if you still have the urge to draw, draw. Putting pressure on yourself is good for moving forward: just remember to put all that stuff aside some time a day to enjoy other things.

Hope everything goes well. If its really what you want, don't ever quit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've figured out a system. When this happens. Go out to your favorite bar with some of your mates. DRink a few, then bitch and cry about being a shitty artist. You'll wake up and want to prove yourself wrong .

Works for me.
    CHEERS!
    -Loren

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    Wait a minute. Step back into your post again and see what you posted.

Are you trying to be some fucking incredible once in a millenium art genius?

Or are you just someone who enjoys the experience?

How can someone be great without enjoying the process is beyond me. If you're not enjoying it...or if it has ceased to give you enjoyment...maybe its time to take a step back and breathe in.

Maybe he IS trying to be a once in a millenium art genius. I'd imagine that could be rather stressful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try to stay away from killers for a few days. that might improve your attitude and art. and if you lost motivation then your probly doing the creative wrong thing. try another medium. and dont be picasso, be yourself.
    picasso sucked. atleast i think so.

or take a break and do something else thats fun. like shooting rats at the junkyard, or roundhouse kick senior citizens.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone gets creative blocks once in awhile. And with that said, Rome wasn't built in a damn day. And as people before have stated, "getting good" shouldn't be a priority. Sure, you're lacking fuel right now in the creativity engine; so go out and experience other things. Take a walk, read a book, listen to an album you haven't listened to in a long time. Experience is more than just hours with a pen, brush, or pencil. Give it time. Relax, and then go back to the punching bag again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every god damned day.

These grapes taste like Fresno! -- Steinbeck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like Interceptors approach, might give that a go tomorrow!!.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know the most common response here has been "suck it up / fight through it / keep practicing / etc." So I'll be an oddball.

if it's really depressing you, do something else for awhile. Do just what you're suggesting here: give up. Put away your paints, your pencils, and/or your tablet and spend some time not practicing or working. Take on a new job, spend more time with family, learn an instrument... whatever, just stop doing art. See how it feels.

If you do that a little while and find that you feel like you're missing something important from your life, then good for you. Now you know for certain that you NEED to be drawing and painting. If you need to do it, then it doesn't matter how good you are so long as you're doing it. If that's the case, you'll get better just like the rest of us, little by little. You may find that taking time away bumps your ability too. It's weird, but it happens sometimes.

If, on the other hand, you don't find yourself missing it or craving it, that's ok too. Maybe visual art isn't your thing. Try writing, I don't know. Find the creative outlet that you click with. Don't beat your head against the wall over something unless you like headaches.

And if the idea of temporarily suspending your art gives you the sweats, then quit belly-aching and get back to work!

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shut up and draw!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this boy is in need of inspiration, the posts on CA should be more
    than enough to keep you from being depressed and bored with your artwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Dave.

Your not a mindless machine with set preferences.
    You will never know how much passion you can have for something if you don't compare it to something else. Or have a shitty experience. I was lucky enough to have a shit job...it made me realize there is really nothing else for me.
    Try it

¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    Maybe he IS trying to be a once in a millenium art genius. I'd imagine that could be rather stressful.
    Hence the problem. You don't become a once in a millenium art genius...someone had to proclaim you're one. Usually after you're dead.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok...on second thought...

1) follow dave's advice first...

if you get that craving...then you can take my advice

Thanks Dave for putting that into perspective for me as well...I throw you shinobi ninja shiatsu COOKIE!!!

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every artist hits speed bumps and questions themselves along the way. What I do is keep an art journal and I recommend it to anyone (We all could use a little self analysis). I've had it going for over half a year now (Its gotten freakishlygargantuan in length..)and it really helps to type/write out what problems you're having so you can analyze them and try to think of a solution on your own. Just open up wordpad or whatever you want to use and put down what you're thinking about at that exact moment.. what doubts, fears or inhibitions you have. Helps you sort out many things and get to know yourself better so you can solve your own problems (problems like this) quickly and effectively.

Believe it or not YOU are the best person to fix the problem.

Also agree with the above about taking a break from art and then seeing if you need it in your life. Try to remember what made art fun for you before it became a chore? Maybe a particular style or subject matter you have since abandoned.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I gave up four years ago. Then I discovered CA and started to draw again but this time the there was quite strong progress. Now I regret those 3 years of not doing any art :/.
    On the other hand, I think few years ago I wasn't enough mature to see many important things in drawing that I see now.
    My advice then would be don't stop drawing but do it only for fun (for some time) .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't quite expecting that large of a response. Thank you all for your advice, it's really making me rethink things. if there's one thing for certain, there are a lot of great minds here at CA.

thanks again guys~

This too shall pass.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I given up thousands of times. but it's a filthy habbit I just can't stop. better not to start in the first place.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's a post like this every few months here, and I'll say what I always do.
    For some reason I just feel phony. My art never seems to express what I'm really feeling, and rarely does it look pleasing at all. I feel like sh-t 99% of every day but it never comes out in my drawings.
    This isn't an art problem. You aren't depressed because you're unhappy with your art. You're unhapy with your art because you're depressed.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i found one can only draw his best if hes enjoying his drawings. Dont draw to be the best or to be a great artist, draw because you like it, because its fun. Youll draw more this way and get better. If you find drawing/art totally boring and you cant find any enjoyment out of it, then its not for you. It does get to a point where it takes some studying, a little problem solving, and quite a bit of spending hours drawing scribbles trying to think of somthing; but thats where you find the differnce between the artist and the person, the artist keeps going.

You probaly just need a break, take some time off from drawing, go outside. Come back when you feel like it.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I find sometimes to be enjoyable, when most of my ideas turn to crap when they hit the page thanks to either a bad run of karma or just plain annoyed at whatever comes out of my pen.

I tend to sit back and draw horrid cartoons of stupid things untill I finnally feel better, or get into a groove that I can actually pull together a decent drawing of sorts..
    Sometimes it's fun to have the fodder that is horrible stupid comics and or sketches of bordem just to look back and, gather ideas from..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dont listen to these guys... just call it quits and go into accounting or something - the less competition the better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, we all feel like this and i think Dave's tips is the best. I usually just last a day with doing something else before the craving sets in, and then it's back to work. I would also post a quote from somplace, it fits rather good in here.

Life is hard, but art is fun.

| My Sketchbook |
    |Simplified - My Web Portfolio |

The foot-picture was concived at 3 A.M. during a creative spree...

SSG#15
    InvincibleWombat-Mort-Dead Road 7-Apocalypse_Rex -Njord-E55-Iolarnula

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've wanted to give up tons of times;
    I get very frustrated with myself when I have a bad painting day;
    I compare myself too much to other people;-must stop that
    I want to be a great artist NOW, not later;
    I feel like throwing my sketchbooks away, cos sometimes it seems pointless my trying to BE an artist;
    I hate my work (sometimes), I think others hate it too;
    I lack confidence in my work;
    art uses up alot of my emotions, that I think I should give up....

Dude...an artist is NEVER happy, and we all must learn patients and persistance! hehe - get used to it

Mx

EDIT: yesterday I had a lump removed from my right butt cheek, it hurts like hell today, and I cant sitt proper at my computer and draw - now that sucks proper arse man...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.