composition suggestions
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: composition suggestions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

composition suggestions

this is for the cg challenge over at cgtalk...'the journey begins' yeah i am waaay behind but this doubles as a project for class which ends a week before the contest does, yikes. anyway, here are 6 comps that i have been playing with, each one works for me so i ask you conceptorgers for an opinion before i commit to painting. forgot to label each image so how about 1-6, top l to bottom r.

thanks to all who commented and critiqued my procrastination project, couldnt have done it without you.

draw!

k

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the 2nd one most

the "V" form of teh buildings makes you look at the center
    (a very classical composition btw)

very nice drawing so far I´m waiting for the colour now...^^

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    najs!

I would go with the middle left cuz the leaning building is kinda leading my eye to the character.. and the fact that its blank behind top of her head will make the character stand out more? and if this is the case then the bottom right would work also?

anyway dont listen to me, Im a newb ^^

good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And just to help confuse you, I'd go with the upper left one. The valley in between the buildings doesn't crowd the subjects like a few others, but still highlights them.

These are really just fine points, though. When you said "thumbs" I was expecting completely different compositional choices. This more looks like the "which things are different?" puzzles you see on the funny pages.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whichever one you end up choosing, I'd recommend moving the main figure a little to the left so she's not dead center.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly at first I didnt even notice any difference until I started reading the discriptions or comments people have posted,lol !!! I think the upper right corner image is the best becaue the buildings are kind of mounting up behind the characters, but its just a matter of taste of course and where you would like the center of attention to be, well they will still be the two characters ...but but, well I cant really explain why but I like that one anyways

look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems like everyone has a different personal preference.
    I like the bottom two the best personally, I agree with dogfood that the ones that don't crowd the figures are nicer.

Whichever far background composition you go with though, I really enjoy the foreground composition, especially the figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the input.

before i read the thread i had my own favorite, it ended up being the only one that nobody cared for, #4, haha! so i reconsided some things...i thought that the syline looked best when the hat does not break up the architecture, also there were some parts of the architecture that were getting redundant. i ended up choosing a modified version of 2.

and she isnt right in the center of the page, i made sure of that from the start.

may the force be with you all.

k

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good drawing im looking forward to the colors.

i would have chosen another one though... i agree with dogfood here again... putting the building behind the character weakens the characters impact imo. off course this is something that heavily depends on the final contrasts... so uhm yeah... ill shut up and eagerly wait for the colors .

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey, 4 is the best of all, but have in mind that you have just half of the composition, right?, the other half of the composition is the color, values, contrasts, etc, so, this only regards to placement, and i think 4 is the best, why? because the building in the middle gots all the attention, and from there, it forms a very nice line to the woman, and from her nice shoulder i travel down to her hand, to the hand of the little critter, and well, from there to his/her face, etc etc, so there you can see all the important things of your drawing in one sight. In the other comps nothing really is helping you to point anywhere of interest, but in 4, you got some help from the building, wich is good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i liked 5 or 6 personally. Mostly 5. I like how it has angles leading in towards the people near the center.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found number 2 to be the most pleasing to my eye, epsecally since I can also visualize the image leading you down to the people, then out across the bottom of the painting in a gradual way...

It looks rockin' so far though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great choice (smiles contented)

What really pleases me in this composition is the lines that are suggesting the lines vanishing to the horizon and they are suggesting or supporting the movement of the two people and also it makes me feel comfortable that they have come half way as well.

Then as to emphasize their movement on the left side everything is vertical, like stagnant and stopped there is no movement just rigid staying put, I also like the robe of the bag and how it continues creating a curve, hence there is so much straight lines you need those few curves and they have more meaning compositionally vice.

From the curved line of her handback we lead to that little line that represents the change or is acting like a bridge from movement and horizontal lines to stagnant and vertical

look I dont know why I love you I just do

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.