Sketchbook: Ivow sketchbook - new to art - NEED C&C!!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ivow sketchbook - new to art - NEED C&C!!!

Hey, im going to make use of something i posted the other day to explain why my art sucks quite a lot:

All my life ive done various art related things, but ive never done things from life or with any level of realism before. When i left school i stopped doing art altogether and since then all ive done is web design, im hoping to go back into education and do art & design, thats why im picking up a pencil and doing some quick sketches, i need to start again somewhere.

I feel making a sketchbook here will help me re focus myself on real art.

All crit is welcome, but please remember that these ARE sketches and not pieces of work, also take note that i am extremely 'new' to art. The last time i tried to do stuff like this i must have been 12 years old.

^ Refs were Grays anatomy, i need to find/buy some proper art books asap.

Thats it for the moment, i will have more up when i have more sketched

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ivow; April 3rd, 2007 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Changed thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Practice is better than any book you can buy and free online resources on drawing are uncountable. However, If you were to pick up a book, I would recomend The Natural Way to Draw: A Working Plan for Art Study by Kimon Nicolaides. It is by far, in my opinion, the best instructional book for improving upon your natural skills or developing the skills you want to have.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA!

Yeah - practice. Draw everyday in every way, draw everything and anything, draw when you wake up, draw before you go to bed. Get a sketchbook and draw over coffee, breakfast lunch whenever.

One thing that bothers me now are those heavy lines around your subjects - when drawing from life, the aim is realism, and not every form has a line to define it - many forms a defined by value alone. Start with mass conception - decide what forms you see in space and how they are positioned. Then establish a light source, if you're intent on shading.

work according to the light source, not with it, because everything we see is due to the lightsource. Remember shadows aren't depicted, they depict.

In other words use light and shadow to explain your subject!

This is quite a good start, keep drawing and update us on your progress.

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK Im back!

It has been a very weird year since i started looking at getting back into art. Ive not done anything impressive, but ive been using a wide range of materials and dabbling in many subjects. I maintain that drawing and painting is still my favourite, but ive found ceramics quite fun, and also various other 3D work.

Im posting my 2 most recent sketchbook pages, because most of my old stuff has rubbed (i need to take more care of my work).

They are both from reference (i just dont have the environment or subjects to do life drawing atm ).

The first is from a sketch i saw on CA yesterday, i made some really bad errors, but i continued and compensated to finish it. Simple because it was from a reference, and was not a serious piece.

The second is from a photo, done quickly to test some stuff.

Last edited by ivow; March 7th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did this last night for the time it took me its really bad, its not even close to the reference. I seem to be hitting a wall where ive got no idea what to draw, and ive got no idea how to improve.

Crit would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just scanned everything, and some other work. Im only going to show one piece because the others are painted and im very new to painting. ( Im still new to everything tbh.)

Again, crit is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ivow, I tried to post something to you but it disappeared! I think you have lots of talent and have done very well for someone teaching himself. Its like trying to become a ballet dancer without classes. Give yourself credit for the effort you are putting in. Your best option is to find solid, old fashioned representational art program. Also, get a hold of some books: The Natural Way to draw, by Kimon Nicolaides; Drawing Lessons From The Great Masters by Robert Beverly Hale;and George Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life would be a good start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Maxine

I will look into those books ASAP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been shockingly bad recently. Hardly any sketches or work.

I applied to a foundation course with a pretty rubbish reference, and ive got virtually nothing to show. Im feeling very nervous about everything, and im thinking about life in a very negative light.

Anyway, enough emo, i tried to sketch some stuff the other night because i couldnt sleep, but i ended up copying a reference photo i found.

It looked a lot better that night so i sprayed it and left it. I would like to continue with this reference, but it just doesnt feel productive.

Also, looked for those books and i dont have the money to buy them, and couldnt find anything useful in the library. I need to get a job so i can just buy this stuff to help me along.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A page i found with rough sketchy stuff. Posting because i dont really do this any more, i find sketchy lines absolutely horrible for some reason, but i actually liked this. ( Bad scan you cant see some of the lighter pencil work so it looks gappy)

Some girl. I wasnt sure about the hair but i just tried my best. One eye is more plump than the other. I think its an optical thing partly with the reference and party because of my eyesight (one eye bad). I tend to get this skew where things on the left are accurate but on the right theyre a little bit skewed. Yes, im blaming my tools already

Again these sketches are nothing more than time filler. Im still not confident enough to draw bodies or anything complex.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know im breaking the rules here but i REALLY badly need some C&C!

Im going to ask my parents to buy me one of the books ive been recommended, but until then ive no idea what to be doing.

Also, i need basic portfolio work. What kind of piece would show off general art skills the best? Something like a more complex still life? Self portraits? Any solid recommendations for a basic portfolio?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow your story is strikingly similar to why i have been lurking on these forums
    lately. I only post to suggest that if your using home computer and high speed
    internet you could always search for instruction via torrents. Allot of great artists and teachers share their work methods. I would also say that line work seems more than acceptable for most schools. Draw what you know and try not to hate your interpretation of a reference. I really enjoyed your rendering of the boot. I heard someone say something that makes allot of sense. If you constantly tell yourself that your art sucks, you make it a reality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, the boot was a fairly quick sketch done in class (2 hours max). I think the lighting in the studio really helped me on that one. When i try still life at home i get a very dull image, thats why i usually work from references with interesting lighting etc when at home.

Ive heard similar things about attitudes, and i think i agree. However i find it hard to appreciate my artwork when it seems so basic. Hmmm.

Ive been searching for online guides to drawing but nothing seems to be recommended. I can find odd bits, but nothing that would really help at this stage, because im not looking at anatomy yet. I need a broad range of drawing tips and processes to help me exercise my abilities. I hope when i buy a book or two it should really get me going with my sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice pencil sketches but i wanna see sum finished stuff from u, with colour .
    keep it up and things for te advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From my experience, full body pics draw the most attention. Your doing a nice job on your shading, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got accepted into a foundation course (btec lvl3) at Coventry uni!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice.

I will be posting some more stuff up here soonish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations on getting into the foundation course! And don't keep running yourself down..... there's always a gap between what we see in our mind's eye and what we manage to get down on paper (it would be a boring and mechanical exercise if there wasn't!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering if you could post something from your period of depression. (I linked to your sketchbook from your post in the Art Discussion). I'd like to see the "wow factor" pieces, if you don't mind posting. I see you do have a good bit of technical skill right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Data_Strings - Thanks for the interest. I dont really have anything to show you from before the pieces, and only have one with me. It only looks "wow" if you compare it to my work from before. It was a huge step up.

Just an update on my sketchbook status: I will be uploading work from now until i start uni, providing i can get time with the scanner.

Ive been meaning to update this thread for ages, but ive mostly been playing with clay and doing anatomy practice for uni. Nothing worth showing, because i know i wont get a huge amount of helpful C&C.

Also, i was a bit put off by a few people in another thread, who basically ridiculed my idea for a website, then continued to call my art shit, and call me a "n00b", based on what was in this thread. I dont think CA is what it used to be. It seems like there are a lot of bitter art school graduates roaming the corridors discouraging people about every facet of art.

Some of the most talented people here are self taught and extremely humble and helpful, so i will try to recover my expectations of this place, which were sadly shattered.

Updates very soon.

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.