Sketchbook: White Rose's Sketchbook - Latest Update 12.06.08 - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I can see your lines becoming more confident, White Rose; but I can see, too, why you're having trouble with this figure. Why is she in this pose? What is she doing? Is she afraid? Defiant? Exhausted? Is someone threatening her?

Emotion can be expressed by the pose. If she's defiant, I think her sword would be held higher, and she would be looking at what she had to fight. As it is, she looks defeated; but what has made her feel that way?

I'd suggest that you work on the background; the barrel and the ship's rigging, the planks of the deck and sides while you figure out what you want to do with the figure. The solution will come to you, the harder you work on the sketch.

Grim Reaper is offline I stared into the void last night,best dream I ever had Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WhiteRose, I know you hate me, but I'd love it if you joined 3CH activity of the week... It would be a great chance for you to improve, get some inspiration and just think of all those wonderful arguments we could have hehe Anyway 3CH was a bit slow for the last couple of weeks and we need fresh blood. Think about it please. I can't think of a better person than you to join!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think i finally understand..what it means drawing using forms.
    In art class...and alot of principals that the teacher banged into my head for the past two weeks.... Also learned about composition and fitting things onto a page when you draw.

Surprising...the class i signed up for. The first lesson was not anatomy. But composition. and learning how to use axis lines. and drawing using form.. and not lines... using a pencil in a different way...The professor talked about getting into knowing what you like and dont like. Finding who your favorite artists... are...

I dont know how to put it into words.. But for once..in my life.. I'm very happy .

This is from studying a statue in class. my notes are messed up. But i had to avoid drawing the outline and focus on.. the form itself.. the also figuring out the compsition..to be able to know where to place it on the page.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by White Rose; June 17th, 2007 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo hoo! You GO, girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are drawing lots ! Keep it up, you'll be great.

the pirate piece could benefit from a message/theme to the viewer; it's not very clear what is going on in the picture. Perhaps taking a step back and asking what you want to convey to the viewer will help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I'm very happy"

These words will help your art more than any amount of practice. Drawing is mainly a mental practice, and having a healthy mindset will make drawing all the more enjoyable and usefull.
    Have fun, and good luck. Even if you don't realize it, I think you're going to start turning corners very soon!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    STUDY FORMS STUDY FORM STUDY FORM!!!

you know for as long as I've been taking studio classes and such. I can remeber Miss Minerva telling me this. I remeber when she drew my face out by not using any contour lines she asked me to do this. The thing I remebered was. I didnt want to do it cause I didnt agree it will help.

........Man I'm such a stubborn woman.

But now in this class ive been taking we're starting off with the basics. from
    compsition, gesture, froms, and now schematic anatomy. I'm begining to see things clearly.

The one thing that saddens me, I draw every now and then. I literally forget to draw. There are so many things that are happening right now. I forget to draw. But I do have some time today. So I will go crazy artistically. Or try to ..
    But here is another drawing based on forms of the same statue but at a different angle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just pulled out some random stuff from what i did..still working on forms..and what not...

Manuel_Calavera is offline And my ashes find a way beyond the fog And return to save the child that I forgot Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    White Rose:I really like one of your last sketches – last post, first from left. Nice pose and drawing, I think it would be good start to make some interesting picture from this sketch. Try to add some value and shadows and maybe drawing bigger sketches would make things easier – when you have more space on paper you are not so constrained.

Grim Reaper is offline I stared into the void last night,best dream I ever had Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is good, isn't it?

Also when you add shading you can disguise all the little mistakes you didn't see before..so I guess the advice this time(again) is shade! -and give that person you've drawn some character, not only a form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first traditional painting off of a sketch i did

My first time with acrylics...

This was done with acrylics, and a paint set that my father bought for me. The brushes were so crappy but I managed. The downside.. it smelled sooo bad it made me ill. But as my first painting I like it alot

I love seeing the colors right infront of me.. I

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's nice...but what made you decide to paint her face yellow?I suppose this is a kind of question you don't ask the artist...we all know of a certain french artist who liked to use a lot of yellow paint....and then he shot himself(but thats not the point).I suggest you mix your yellow paint with some red next time, see what happens.
    Also-the eyelids seem to be missing...That's two things I kinda noticed first.
    Now when I look at it-not inthe nasty way- I think this lady's face expression is quite scary...It's a bit like she's chewing on something. A lemon perhaps?
    Grim

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a difference I see now that you're doiing life drawings! I'm sure if you look back through your sketchbook you'll see it yourself.

I know what you mean about the smell of acrylics; oils smell so much better!!!
    I live in a rural area and sometimes the fields smell like acrylics (only 1000 times stronger!)

The more you paint, the more you'll learn little tricks like following the planes on the face with your brushstokes to give form, just the way that you've done with the hair on your lady.

The first steps with paint are always exciting,- keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good progress here, keep up with the form studies and keep having fun!

Manuel_Calavera is offline And my ashes find a way beyond the fog And return to save the child that I forgot Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rose, you improved your pencils but with acrylics you have long long way to go. Try to use more colors and mix them. I like your thick impasto, though. About this sketch on the right - is it Sailor Moon ? It's quite dynamic and I like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I lost my fear. Fear within myself...of not succeding.. Best remedy.. is just draw alot till your comfortable with yourself. This is something I'm going to be repeating every day till the day I die.

Over the course of 2 1/2 weeks..thumb nailing.. doing research. On costumes...designs....
    And then over the course of 2 days.. including today.
    I began to transfer the thumb nail over to the final peice (which did not work out so well) So this peice.. oh yeah I did a BUT LOAD OF Mistakes.
    This is what I learned so far:

1. Never wait till the last minute. It takes time to get from point a to point b <---this one is a biggie
    2. Every drawing is a learning experience
    But I do have the confidence to improve... now soooo i'm going to work harder at it

I would like to do it over..I do over a certain part of it.. So I can understand how to correct it.

But here it goes..... I should add the thumbnails later on.

Last edited by White Rose; October 11th, 2007 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep yep. Doin' good. Keep on truckin! (In a non drug-related way of course...)

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your sketchbook has really inspired me. When I first talked to you, I thought you were a superskilled artist like so many I've seen here. But now I see you're alot like me, except that you took the next steps and pushed through the mental problems I'm facing now.

I'm definitely now more encouraged to continue to update on a more daily basis ^__^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

*wipes the dust of her sb

08/24/08 -
    Problems on figuring out the proper plane for arms.. and movement.. hands.. feet..crosshatching.. could do more with the background.. to tired to fool around more with this pic.. time to move on.
    Gonna do chest and arm studies.. to understand the flow of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1st still life. my goal is to see if i can do one ever day before going ot bed this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did the cup over. After I was told the original cup didnt show any values.
    Was able to get a hold of couple of harder pencils. 9h is really hard pencil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Starting over

Had a ah - ha moment. A couple of things made me realize.. im not going to improve.. if I do not work at it.
    So I pulled out all my art books and notes from my life drawing classes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was working on anatomy again.. You might see 2 thumbails on an idea that just came to me. So I would like to create it into a picture/painting. I'm kinda having difficulty cause I realize.. after doing the pose myself... Maybe I'm just not very flexible anymore.. It does put alot of strain in the back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today is a late night.. So I manage to squeeze in a few sketches from the bridgeman book. Tomorrow I'm going to do more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A picture I'm currently working on.

Trying to break habits...But not happy how this sketch is turning out. :| But here are the first stages of it.

Last edited by White Rose; November 30th, 2008 at 12:15 AM. Reason: updated photo i wanted to show.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2 WIP and a bargue sketch

I dont get bargue.. I like his smooth lines. But I didnt quite understand the eyes... In the bargue book he has pages of eyes in different.. positions..

:| so I studied a couple.. and also I have 2 wips.. one is a continuation of the first one..and the other one.. I used a reference for the pose.

Last edited by White Rose; December 2nd, 2008 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today was not a good day. I dont understand bridgman. The forms that he uses and positions i get. Its all that fancy calligraphy.. ^^;; How is a bigginer suppose to figure that out.

I guess thats why I felt so comfortable with Loomis. Loomis is very clean..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rose!! just droppin By to say keep it up those Bargue drawings are quite awesome. Yes eyes are confusing at first but pretty soon you'll understand them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another page from bridgman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay,, sooo I notice a bit of improvement.. took me about a good hour or two.. actually went slowly and plooted how i was going to go about this. Would do more but kinda got tired...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.