Sketchbook: White Rose's Sketchbook - Latest Update 12.06.08

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Question White Rose's Sketchbook - Latest Update 12.06.08

WOW....where to start.. well ive been lurking here for about a year or so....and
    i m trying to get back into art...So this is going to be a very toughie challenge...

A couple of months ago... i had a big revelation about myself... when it comes to what i love to do...
    Which is drawing of course...and i relaized.. i never had the time to nuture my gift..due to so many stuff i was going through...
    and because now i have the time..

I want to make it grow...
    but its hard... to figure out where..oh well

I do know what I want to gain..from doing this..and looking through..

1. Understanding perspective...and being able to draw a background
    I did get books for this... and the only way for me to get it is drawing it..and figuring out where i went wrong

2. The anatomy..... I think I have the basic idea.. but i got a long long way to go..

3.Drop the fear..of trying to draw "the perfect picture"...there is no bloody such thing as that..

4. get into real media..

5. find myself artistically.. and improve.. and just .. (I dont know.. but i know my spirit will tell me..when it gets there)

i guess creating this.. is the best begining.. for it.. :3

Im inspired by alot of different things... anime (of course), realism, sometimes.. instalaations.. ive seen many coools ones in my life time..
    ummm... enviroments...and fashion...

So i guess i'll start posting some images...

i'm going to start from the oldest..to what i have recent....
    and thank you.. :3 for anyone who looks through....oh and criticism.. is greatly appreciated....

i also discovered the loomis books....
    ... and did a couple of stuff.. but i cant find them

Since then, ive read "how to draw on the right side of the brain.."
    it is an amazing book..and i highly recommend it...

Been reading books on perspective...and Loomis books
    got so much to learn and practice... ah.. i have a hard time finding where to start...
    my most recent.... i was trying to get my blood flowing..since i havent drawn..

i do have a hard time focusing..but when i do something..its a good feeling

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by White Rose; December 6th, 2008 at 12:44 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If art is really what you want to do and is your passion, get some real training...don't go to college. Go to an atelier, check out all the ateliers around the US at artrenewal.org . I have been to two colleges and soon I will be going full time at Watts Atelier, which I am currently attending as well while going to another college. A lot of your work here is looking very up tinight and you seem to still be too concerned with "getting it right." That is probably natural for everyone, it is for me, I used to be very up tight and in a sense still am, and if I am having an off day, I will revert to that state of being up tight. It's good that you are studing the Loomis books, hit up some Bridgeman and Hogarth, study your anatomy like crazy. Right now, don't worry about style, concentrate on technique and understanding the foundations and get a solid grasp of those.

Thanks
    You are right... that "Im so focused on getting it right"... When one focuses..on being perfect... you really dont produce anything...

the fustrating part.. is when you have something you want to draw.. but you cant because.. your lack of knowledge...

artrenewal looks very intresting.. but im not sure.. i have time..cause i work m to f but.. i'll definately check it out :3

thank you...

but when you talk about concentrating on technique..which i totally agree..

its a newbie..thing.. but how can go a bout that... should i plan it out..

i guess..when you want to create.. vs.. you have to learn... its really a toughie

Thanks
    There are a million different techinques and approaches to creativing art. planning is important, and how to plan and how you approach your art....training will give you a better understanding of doing that. Also creating can be learning at the same time....say for instance, you want to draw a character, get out an anatomy book and help you create that character, but just don't blindly copy anatomy, try to study it and understand it and apply it to your character.

Also the more knowledge you aquire, the more creative you will become, you will know how to utilize and apply that knowledge to all sorts of things. Unfortunately today, people don't see learning technique as being creative.

Thanks
    White Rose! welcome the forums.... my only suggestion in this quest of yours is to follow your pencil. You just keep drawing everything & at everytime & kick yourself if you don't. & i kinda have to disagree with Mr. Smitherines here on the part which he said that if you want to pursue art, go to an atelier. Personally I think it would be ideal if you went to that sort of institution from the beggining, but college can aslo help you out much, cause they will teach more stuff than just technique.... like history classes & stuff. Personally I study graphics design, cause I love it, but that doesn't mean i can't do my FINE art every now & then! Now another suggestion of mine is telling you to OPEN UP YOUR SENSES! go listen music! read books! go party! go out to world & feel what it can give you! then return & inspire yourself with the pencil.... what i mean is that making art is also much like living life itself! which is a beautiful thing!

greetings!
    GriNGoLoCo

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks

Talking New stuff 06-27-06

ever since. ive posted some art.. here.. i took up some anatomy lessons....well reading and doing research on certain parts of the anatomy.. that i'm not sure how it functions.. it took me about 3 weeks to understand how shoulder blades work. But yet.. i still have alot of fustration..of drawing the pictures of ideas i have in my head...

and i want to draw them the best i can.. so i'm holdong off..till i get handle on anatomy...(but) what idid.. is that anytime i have an idea..in my head.. i write it down in my art book.. and give a detailed description of how its gonna look like... which i think its a good thing to do.. becausae i can take the time to do research on something i need to get... and get references and etc.

so in the mean time... i'll just draw what ever.. and save the projects.. for when i feel confident in doing something...

so..here we gooo

in this picture.. i was tyring to understand porpotions. and now i finally understand..when they say a person is about 8 heads tall.... also.. i pulled out some of my older drawings i had..and i understood why some pictures i drew was off... or why the head looked to big....
    it was because my porpotions were off

on the pictures.. below.. i just started drawing anything to see..where i need to correct myself.... cause.. im trying to create an outline.. or a plan.. oh well.. im tired of writing..my thoughts...

any advice would be helpful

Thanks
    Welcome to ca White Rose, quite an interesting read so far, as well as a good start.
    I think your resolutions from post #1 are pointing in the right direction, especially that you´re willing to study perspective and what you wrote about dropping the fear of drawing the "perfect picture", something I never really succeeded in.
    Also glad you´re thinking about stuff like shoulder blades, something quite complicated and something I never fully understood myself (I´m working on that though).
    You´re doing great so far with your heads, focus on the big forms, stuff like the forehead, the shape of the cranium, eyeholes, cheekbones, jaws...
    And don´t hesitate to draw what´s in your head, even if it may not come out the way you intended it to.
    Keep going...

Thanks
    Cool, good start. Way to go, don't give up. You might want to try a a few self-portraits, and try to do some drawings from reference with shading. I'd suggest staying away from anime/manga style and going for realism at this stage. Most professional Japanese artists in that style have a strong foundation in realism, and all styles are based off of realism. So far, it seems you've been aiming for realism, but I give this advice just in case. Good luck! You can PM me if you're driven nuts by artistic frustration. Dunno if I can help, but I can sympathize.

Thanks
    hmm.. im kinda tired ...

but i used a picture reference... to draw out the skulll

to understand the structure...i think the picture i used is a great shading exercise though... im not done with the... picture... but im surprised.. it took me about maybe 2 hours sooo far... and i didnt even erase...

http://www.mangaware.net/images/art/...01957%2008.jpg this is the reference i used

Thanks
    Hey, good stuff. Do a lot of really loose gestures, they'll help you to loosen up. Also, keep at the Loomis! I like your clean lines -- I have a hard time getting those -- but doing gestures will help you get a better "flow."

Thanks
    stuff during the first week of june....

time to catch up...
    so yeah ive been using the loomis book with my studies..and @_@
    got a couple of new books..which i'll be using tooo...but i guess i'lll paste what i have for now
    moving on...moving on...
    some stuff today...
    I think im about 4 pages away..till i start learning about the bones and muscles.... but i think im gonna open up hogarth's book anatomy of the head...cause im itching to do some actualy drawings..and i wanna get a head start....oh yeah

Im also doing the skull painting over but this is what i have so far from last time

im doing this over.... and im surprised to say..there alot of things i didnt see before..that i am seeing now..
    here are some stuff for today

i decided to do this one over..... i'll post it when im done...

Thanks
    studies with hogarth..yesterday and today

soooo...yesterday..i decided to do some head studies with hogarth
    and everything was fine.. until.. i got stuck with this

I look at this picture..and i think to myself. HOW THE HELL IM GOING TO EXCUTE THAT!

soooo.for the next 4 hours. i tried to figure out how to do it

No,thats not it.

i got fustrated and decided to work on another head... on the right head side.. the head on the lower right i never drew heads in that direction before..
    WOW! now i learned something new

okay..back to figuring out 4/5 or 2/4 view downward head..
    i got fustrated.went to cgtalk.and llyana and mat gave some extra advice.. then all of a sudden. i took out a pencil. drew in the hogarth book broke down the face to simple shapes i can understand then all of a sudden it clicked

Something for today

Thanks
    Nice. It's strange to see copied Hogarth heads after I've just been copying them myself. I wonder how many people have drawn them, lol. A good book, isn't it? Although, it is tedious to copy at times. Good work!

I see you're practicing perspective, too. If you want to learn it through and through, I recommend 'Perspective for Artists' by Cole. It's cheap, relatively short, and teaches you everything you need to know. If you get confused by the words, copy the pictures and re-read.

EDIT: Wow, I think this is my 100th post. Erk- I should be doing more drawing less posting!!

Last edited by LukeTores; June 7th, 2006 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks
    yeah..surprsingly..it really is... :3
    i learned alot of new things.. i never knew before......
    and things i neevr drew before...cause i never took the time..to apply myself ^_^ but i'll totally take a good look

and that book.. is it by..Rex Vicat Cole ?

Thanks
    We´ve been workin´ on the same things today, you´ve done a good job. You seem to be a fast learner...

Thanks
    hahahaha
    thank you ^_^ ......i still have alot to learn though.. even though i draw.. there is new information im learning...
    but..i really want to do some original work.. but.. i must learn the correct way of doing things. instead..of repeating the same mistakes.. :3 you know what im saying :3

i hope i get to see some new stuff from you today

Currently in Hong Kong... but am still a Brit at heart... :D
    Thanks
    there's some good stuff here! I'm like you... I'm rediscovering my passion for art and drawing... but.. haha, i'm finding that i have even less time now than I did before.. takes me forever just to do one drawing.... (unless they're cartoons...)

keep up the efforts, and i'm sure you'll go a long way

-----------------------------------------------
    bmumble's sketchpad :: bmumble's deviantart gallery
    Image hosting from PhotoBucket.com

Thanks
    Hey white rose thanks for visiting my sketchbook ! ! i like your studies, you have some nice sketches ! ! I want to do studies on muscles, the head and body, gesture, a lot of things really. I'll probably just a bit of everything at once

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kaos_x
    Hey white rose thanks for visiting my sketchbook ! ! i like your studies, you have some nice sketches ! ! I want to do studies on muscles, the head and body, gesture, a lot of things really. I'll probably just a bit of everything at once
    well....since you know.the path you want to take... just take it a little bit at a time :3
    good luck on your journey

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by my SB man! Keep doing what you've been doing. Remember proportions. Knowing every mucle is useless without knowing where to put it. Try to draw more from life. If your sketchbook is too big, or even if you get a chance, get a Moleskine (spelling?). Those things are perfect. Smooth, quality paper, and friggen indistructable. Mine got ran over by 3 cars, looks like new.

Also, try to stop petting your lines. It's a reeeaally hard habit to break, I still do it, but stopping is worth it. You asked about perspective, most of the stuff I got was either online or from my library. There are some great tutorials linked to in these forums.

Keep it up, every new thing you learn helps you learn something else in the future. Sorry if I rambled on a little, good start. Keep at it!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cup of Joe
    Thanks for stopping by my SB man! Keep doing what you've been doing. Remember proportions. Knowing every mucle is useless without knowing where to put it. Try to draw more from life. If your sketchbook is too big, or even if you get a chance, get a Moleskine (spelling?). Those things are perfect. Smooth, quality paper, and friggen indistructable. Mine got ran over by 3 cars, looks like new.

Also, try to stop petting your lines. It's a reeeaally hard habit to break, I still do it, but stopping is worth it. You asked about perspective, most of the stuff I got was either online or from my library. There are some great tutorials linked to in these forums.

Keep it up, every new thing you learn helps you learn something else in the future. Sorry if I rambled on a little, good start. Keep at it!

O_O
    your sketchbook got over by 3 cars....
    *titls her head*
    lol
    umm..petting my lines...whats that
    and ur not rambling :3 i enjoy hearing people thoughts...?

Thanks
    I think "petting your lines" means drawing the same line over a few times, so it looks 'sketchy' and fuzzy. I do this too, gotta stop, it's bad.
    What we're supposed to do is just drop a line and leave it, or draw 'sketchy' lightly and then draw a single bold, dark line over it.

Thanks
    i have been slacking for a bit during the weekend.. ^^;; since playing rf-online..over the weekend.. *sighs* its hard blancing work..drawing.. and..some r&r
    oh well here it goes
    its not much..

Thanks
    i think you could really benifit from doing some stuff for the New Artist Seeking Help thread- Here- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64711

It's a great thread (that needs to be revived). Good job on starting to understand simple shapes. Keep at it!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    i think you could really benifit from doing some stuff for the New Artist Seeking Help thread- Here- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64711

It's a great thread (that needs to be revived). Good job on starting to understand simple shapes. Keep at it!
    im kinda not sure..what to do with that thread....
    sorry...maybe its the ignorance/arrogance talking... :|

*i'll read it through it.. again

but how does it pertain to me?

Thanks
    I think its a Wonderful beginning. I can already see the improvements that your life studies and gestures have produced. Don't be afraid to loosen up and let go! I will keep visiting back. Best of luck to you as you continue to study!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RNS
    I think its a Wonderful beginning. I can already see the improvements that your life studies and gestures have produced. Don't be afraid to loosen up and let go! I will keep visiting back. Best of luck to you as you continue to study!
    thank you....
    hopefully.. i'll be able to put more time in what i love to do

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by White Rose
    im kinda not sure..what to do with that thread....
    Just follow the exercises. You can do them at any time in any order. The point is to practice skills such as value and form that sometimes get forgotten.

You don't have to go if you don't think it will help, but it definately helped me think more about light and using line as a representation of a 3D form.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Just follow the exercises. You can do them at any time in any order. The point is to practice skills such as value and form that sometimes get forgotten.

You don't have to go if you don't think it will help, but it definately helped me think more about light and using line as a representation of a 3D form.

k... :3 i'll heed ur advice..thank you

Thanks
    Wow..its been over a month..and i'm still going at it..HEHEHEHE DONT FAIL ME KNOW :3

well.. ive been working with drawing heads..everyday.. i go over the same lessons..and pick up the same things i didnt notice before... which is a very funny experience..

so.. i decided to try to do a couple of more..and do something original..which i am going to take my time..and break everything down..till i understand it

I also noticed going through the other pictures.. im begining to understand the head a little bit more better..

The hardest part.. is understanding the structure of the eyes.. Hogarth stylizes (over exagerates to give the viewer..a clear understanding of how the eyes look like... EYES ARE NEVER FLAT.. the jut (is that a word) out a bit
    drawing eyes.. front view.. i can do that..but when the head is turned in a different direction... ......well miss rose is headed to trouble...
    *thinks*
    soo..i asked around.. and Miss Rebecca told me..visualize a pea in a pod.. the pea is the eye the pod.. is like the skin. And visualize it at different angles.
    thats what the eye looks like. *LIGHTBULB*

so i cant finish the picture till. i have a good idea.. on the eyes. I still cant visually understand it. But any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also one of my other pictures. with a girl in 1/2 view I need to get that picture. drawn over . So i can see the errors. what is the correct term for that.

other than that i hope everyone is doing well

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1