Master of puppets (redone)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I re-did everything except the anatomy I liked it that way but I changed the colour by first doing Watercolour painting then on the fur I increased its sharpness and decreased on certain parts of the fur for the lightling, Master of puppets (redone)

With my pictures I mostly like to have the lightling right and very visible at the same time.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, for a guy who like his lighting 'right' I think you let yourself down a tad.

That wolfen... wolfman, werewolf whatever, is geting hit by light all over, and not from just in front and below like he should. The parts of his body not hit by the light should be in dark shadow, and the parts that are should be lit up with a bright but very warm orange glow.

The puppets are hard to make out.

The top of the fire seems 'smudged' and slopily done.

My advice is to experiment with varying intensities of light and line weight, there should be some tuts floating around this place.

Good start and happy drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just one question... why would a puppetmaster like to cut these strings?... to lose control over them?

he doesnt appear like a puppetmaster but like some bully who likes to destroy the toys of someone else.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my last try with the broken record approach: You are relying too much on color to make things look "pretty/right/awesome". Your lack of values are your weak point and unless you sit down and really study color theory, you will not see improvements in your work with your values all at the same level.

Grayscale this. See how flat it is. Make a new layer, get in there with a black brush and really darken your shadows. Don't be afraid to really punch into this, you can always delete a layer if you don't liek it. Create interest, contrast, direction. If you cannot train your eye to compose with values, your colors will continue to be muddy, flat and boring, no matter how large your pallette is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph Laberis
    This is my last try with the broken record approach: You are relying too much on color to make things look "pretty/right/awesome". Your lack of values are your weak point and unless you sit down and really study color theory, you will not see improvements in your work with your values all at the same level.

Grayscale this. See how flat it is. Make a new layer, get in there with a black brush and really darken your shadows. Don't be afraid to really punch into this, you can always delete a layer if you don't liek it. Create interest, contrast, direction. If you cannot train your eye to compose with values, your colors will continue to be muddy, flat and boring, no matter how large your pallette is.
    Right on! Echo...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two things that I notice right off:

1. The lighting is not coming from any one direction. You should make it come from {hopefully this is obvious} the fire. Get some more shadowing on the eyes and darken up what isn't facing the fire.

2. He is using the scissors with his index and middle finger, where usually it's done with the thumb in the smaller slot, and index & middle finger in the other slot. Maybe that is unimportant, just saying it's an unnatural position.
    ---------
    On the flip side, your anatomy seems pretty realistic, he looks like a werewolf. Not to mention the theme is pretty cool as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystallwolvelt
    With my pictures I mostly like to have the lightling right and very visible at the same time.
    One last bit - you can't have it both ways all the time, especially in a piece like this where your character is underlit by a very strong light source. It just doesn't add up. If you want everything to be visible, stick your character in a meadow on an overcast spring day. If you want your lighting to be "right", google search some reference such as:

to understand how light from the fire will affect your character. You don't have to light every inch of him for me to know that he's all there. I hope you take another stab at this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    work on the hair as well... it looks like an starfish is coming out of his head.

"Is there a way I can take my pants off?..." - Snake from MGS3: SE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I peeked at your DA gallery and found you had this to say about this piece:

(Full View please the fur detail is brilliant!!)

Well you guys probaly want to kick my ass for editing this picture to much, but this is my finished work and there will be no changes at all also this picture is very cool to me since its the first picture of mine on DA that had the highest comment count of 99 comments also it has lots of favs to but not the highest.
    If no changes will be made to this piece, as you have convinced yourself that it's flawless, then you are just wasting the time of people here. The critique section is intended for people who wish to improve and make as many changes to their advanced states of work as possible. You have continually brushed aside, ignored valuable feedback and otherwise shown no inclination to improve, experiment or push yourself out of your very narrow comfort zone.

You can draw. That's obvious. However, you have a warped image of yourself and this alone is standing in your way of improving. I can tell you, you will never get a Daily Deviation feature with the level you are at now.

I am tempted to close this thread since you are obviously not looking for feedback in earnest. So nice of you to thank every person on DA who has patted your ass on this one, rather than thank the handful of people here who took time to help you, like you had asked for.

You've lost the support of a lot of people here who could help bring you to a new level of ability. Including myself, who wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. Good luck with life.

Last edited by Steph Laberis; May 5th, 2006 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I peeked at your DA gallery and found you had this to say about this piece:

If no changes will be made to this piece, as you have convinced yourself that it's flawless, then you are just wasting the time of people here. The critique section is intended for people who wish to improve and make as many changes to their advanced states of work as possible. You have continually brushed aside, ignored valuable feedback and otherwise shown no inclination to improve, experiment or push yourself out of your very narrow comfort zone.

You can draw. That's obvious. However, you have a warped image of yourself and this alone is standing in your way of improving. I can tell you, you will never get a Daily Deviation feature with the level you are at now.

I am tempted to close this thread since you are obviously not looking for feedback in earnest. So nice of you to thank every person on DA who has patted your ass on this one, rather than the handful of people here who took time to help you, like you had asked.

You've lost the support of a lot of people here who could help bring you to a new level of ability. Including myself, who wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. Good luck with life.
    Steph, you rock!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto glikster

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing i think nobody said yet was the fact that the picture´s sharpness was increased in the wrong way, actually is better to stay away from that tool, is completelly useless unless we are talking about 2 flat colors.

Now, as for "this" attitude problem that we see often in the critique ceneter...maybe we should have a "manky" award, with an icon and stuff. Maybe that way people can avoid wasting valuable time on people that might not apreciate it......just a thought .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we should create a kristallwolvelt reward since what hes done yet im wondering why everybody is still refering to manky ^^.

krystall is without competition.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am tempted to close this thread since you are obviously not looking for feedback in earnest. So nice of you to thank every person on DA who has patted your ass on this one, rather than thank the handful of people here who took time to help you, like you had asked for.

Woah You got me all wrong saying I ignore everyone on CA and reply to all comments on DA.

First off I reply to half of the comments and replys from others journals or images I recieve.

I do respect your information everyone so don't all of you think I'm getting all anoyed with you lot casue I'm not.

If I tend to make another wierd traditional picture I will finish the lightling properly before i submit it on DA.

Quote Originally Posted by iAn
    work on the hair as well... it looks like an starfish is coming out of his head.
    No I like his hair at the moment thats the one thing I would not change unless I'm sick of it, I have changed the looks on the rest of my characters but I did use to change this guy alot years ago and this is how he looks like well if you don't get to see his legs because he wears long grey shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    One thing i think nobody said yet was the fact that the picture´s sharpness was increased in the wrong way, actually is better to stay away from that tool, is completelly useless unless we are talking about 2 flat colors.
    the sharpness tool adds a little more realism to the image that way but thats your thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    Now, as for "this" attitude problem that we see often in the critique ceneter...maybe we should have a "manky" award, with an icon and stuff. Maybe that way people can avoid wasting valuable time on people that might not apreciate it......just a thought .
    Your such a douchebag ,,!, lmfao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't you think you just contradicted yourself in the last post?

"I do respect your information everyone so don't all of you think I'm getting all anoyed with you lot casue I'm not."

"No I like his hair at the moment thats the one thing I would not change unless I'm sick of it..."

"the sharpness tool adds a little more realism to the image that way but thats your thought."

It doesn't mean you can't at least play around with it and see how it turns out instead of shooting down everyones suggestions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah You got me all wrong saying I ignore everyone on CA and reply to all comments on DA.

First off I reply to half of the comments and replys from others journals or images I recieve.

I do respect your information everyone so don't all of you think I'm getting all anoyed with you lot casue I'm not.

If I tend to make another wierd traditional picture I will finish the lightling properly before i submit it on DA.

ya see you claim that.

and then say this:

No I like his hair at the moment thats the one thing I would not change unless I'm sick of it, I have changed the looks on the rest of my characters but I did use to change this guy alot years ago and this is how he looks like well if you don't get to see his legs because he wears long grey shorts.

the sharpness tool adds a little more realism to the image that way but thats your thought.

Your such a douchebag ,,!, lmfao
    These people know FAR more then you do.

The hair is obscenely poor design, the sharpen tool is useless in that context, it DOESNT ADD REALISM. Youve been ignoring all coments made towards your work, except for one that you tisted and implied it was a compliment when it sure as hell wasnt. You obviousely have absolutely no motivation to improve your poor work, especially when you say youve had this character for YEARS and this is only as far as youve come. Tell me, why the fuck do you post here? however you post in constructive crits section, but you dont want critiques? If someone takes time out of their day to reply to you and explain why your image sucks and how to make it better, you damn well better have the courtesy to say "thank you".
    According to your DA profile you dont consider yourself a little kid. Don't act like one.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is going the way of the flame war. I'm locking it.

Krystall, look at Gamerhomie and Rook have quoted you saying. You are contradicting yourself and prettymuch shot yourself in the foot again. We're not out to get you, you have frustrated and annoyed a great many people here and if this trend keeps up people here will continue ignoring your posts, as a good deal already have.

Think about what you really want to get out of posting your artwork here in the future. If you are looking to learn and improve, continue to post but be a little patient and open to what others can offer. If you are looking only for ass pats or refuse to stay open to critiques, (or if you "can't be bothered" to make changes, respond to critiuqes) DO NOT POST IN THIS SECTION, start your own sketchbook thread and post all of your artwork there.

Members who have read this thread: 1