Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Exhibiton works and process shots (big download)

Thanks
    what can one say in the face of such pure hard-working talent?
    nothing, except:

damn amazing artwork buddy.
    We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I dont know what to say Flint, nowadays art can be anything..i do admire some of the work you guys do, Collins is extraordinary no doubt but i think he can push himeself much much more.... if we.. just would learn from the past, really appreciated and not throw it away..like it never existed... you see all the professions in the world have advanced and we as painters have gone down..it think is mainly because our individuallity gets in the way..in the past there was one language and a few variations but it was so high up...artist helping and competing so fiercely, so much work and passion (not like we are not trying today..but it was three times as harder just like the science of music with his own language..which all artist had to learn..there were high standards and competitions..so much respect from the 3 old masters (raphael,michaelangelo,leonardo), sadly it is the truth..and well ..if you have seen their work..well i bet you have...you would agree with me...Studying . and accepting the great does not make you a lesser artist..it pushes you more..My question is what would you invent another language of art if it already has been written..wouldn't it be better to learn it well and then ..improve on it..but that means at least equalling the past to then surpassing if is possible...but anyways...I do look back,so i can see today and then tomorrow..take care and well good luck..
    Last edited by the_allejo05; May 4th, 2006 at 08:44 PM.
    my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

Thanks
    You are a total legend.....
    What do you do when life gives you lemons? You clone those lemons.... and make Super-Lemons...

Thanks
    beautiful work, and props on obviously studying your ass off... 28! yikes!!

i do have an observation though... youre still lifes are gorgeous, near flawless, but theres something strange about your portraits... its almost as if theyre being treated the same as the still lifes... theres something plastic about them, as if they were dolls instead of people... perhaps it is because you make the color transitions in the skin so perfectly smooth? i cant figure it out, so i guess i cant make an informed crit, but something about them feels..... unreal.....unalive?

not to debase your work in the slightest, youre obviously very much in the know and have even more heights to reach as the years unfold....

could you tell us more about your process?

post more!!

Thanks
    wow I think I just shit myself... that's absolutely incredible.. so real but with an extra quality to them that just makes them so much more..

I don't know what to say..

damn amazing stuff

Thanks
    Those really are amazing. It's obvious you've dedicated a huge amount of time and effort to your craft, and it shows as you're paintings are on the same level as, if not higher, than the 50+ year olds on that gallery's site.

I'll also agree with the allejo on the quality of modern paintings and will readily admit that I have recently made a conscious move towards learning traditional techniques before I decide how my own style should look (of course I can only dream of painting with that mastery). Kudos for painting how you want to paint to the best of your ability (with amazing results).

Again, just a bang up brilliant job.

Thanks
    Brilliant
    blog

Quote Originally Posted by Vhan juju
    I don't know what happend to guys like you gruve24, but whatever it is, it sure has a way of destroying hearts...

Thanks

I think my brain just...pld:

Thanks
    Every witty comment I could make would just cover up that I'm entirely speechless being confronted with your work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the_allejo05
    Man kudos to ya and all the Jacob Collins and Florence Academy students out there..I do respect their art but let let me start with something...In his first lecture to London's Royal Academy, Lord Leighton addressed the subject of the 19th century's preoccupation with acute optical realism:

"This movement has evidently great elements of good; it is the outcome of sincerity...and more sympathetic insight into human nature; but it has also its alloy; for an excessive absorption of the attention in the most superficial aspect of things tends to the over-development of the simply imitative faculty, which is the lowest gift of the artist, at the cost of his aesthetic faculty and of his imagination, which are the noblest, and tends therefore also to triviality and loss of that which gives to Art its high place amongst the elements of civilization."

You guys have to understand that the old masters never went for acute realism...that is not the way of design,manerism,colorists.. please do look a Titian,a Michelangelo,Raphael,Sargent,Leonardo,Rubens,Goltz ius,Poussin,Boucher,Durer, Goya,Velasquez,Van Dyck, Delacroix,Ingres,Degas,Courbet,Tintoretto,Rembrand , and dont know how many throughout history..etc etc..and all the great masters of Art..interest in realism is not the way of the masters..they go beyond that..realism has always been considered ugly and crude..and I agree..realism is what you and I see..Art is more...Im tired of those schools saying "thats the way of the masters, we are like them or even better.." the only art i see is the preocupation with the eye..or at least thats what i see..where is the mastery of anatomy ,of invention, of color,of design, of simplicity of form, of decoration,of architecture,gesture, geometry,narrative, even individualism, where? all these painters paint the same, i cant tell one from the other? good compositions yes..excellent eye and craftsmanship but hell their is more...Im sorry if I am the only one who sees that..Im not impressed by these so called "new masters" dont even dare group them with the old masters..please appreciate ,and study real art througout history ,it is never been so superficial..I guess it reflects our current society which preocupation with what's outside is more important with real feeling Art is more than whay you see with the eye..at least even in the academic painters of the French Academy there was more interest. Anyways i had to let this out..please check for these guys at least they are trying to keep the tradition alive....
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/Instructors.htm
    http://www.benlongart.com/bio.html

funny, i was actually thinking the same thing.
    do me a favor dude, go pick up the book "goad" and look at what phil hale has done. fucking amazing. way more interesting than your work.
    no offence intended mind you, you've got a lot of great stuff here. but with this level of realistic detail i ask, "why not just take a photo?"
    seems like a lot of wasted effort to me. theres just nothing unique about these paintings.
    again, it is amazing work....but its boring.
    here's a challenge for your next painting: paint your fencing jacket and equipment again, but do it in motion. have 2 guys fencing, but no people inside the outfits.
    or if you want to do a still life, do it of something interesting(although i do give props to the fact that you ddin't do a still life of a skull with a glass of wine).
    whats gonna make your painting unique?
    for example: i can look at 5000 photos of various photographers and i can pick out a photo by Joel Peter Witkin every time.
    think about it.
    Last edited by TheDirtSyndicate; May 20th, 2006 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks
    you must be the best photorealist drawer ever 0_O dont understand how people do that.. 0___O *amazed*

Thanks

amazing!!! really, really amazing!!

but i do agree with Layil about your portraits

Thanks

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast