Art: Exhibiton works and process shots (big download) - Page 3
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Exhibiton works and process shots (big download)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crazy! your insane! i love your work! wow

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredbile!!! just amazing

FuT-o-RamA
    My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo!!! I just checked yours site, urs 28 years old, dam you really
    did you homework early, kudos to that!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My, my! This is Incredible.

The way you work with light, shadow color is insane!
    I truly feel I can step right in to that studio!

I have no words that can describe how beautiful this is. So I guess i'll leave it, that I am truly in Awe.

ˇQue Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i will be sure to make it there..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what can one say in the face of such pure hard-working talent?
    nothing, except:

damn amazing artwork buddy.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know what to say Flint, nowadays art can be anything..i do admire some of the work you guys do, Collins is extraordinary no doubt but i think he can push himeself much much more.... if we.. just would learn from the past, really appreciated and not throw it away..like it never existed... you see all the professions in the world have advanced and we as painters have gone down..it think is mainly because our individuallity gets in the way..in the past there was one language and a few variations but it was so high up...artist helping and competing so fiercely, so much work and passion (not like we are not trying today..but it was three times as harder just like the science of music with his own language..which all artist had to learn..there were high standards and competitions..so much respect from the 3 old masters (raphael,michaelangelo,leonardo), sadly it is the truth..and well ..if you have seen their work..well i bet you have...you would agree with me...Studying . and accepting the great does not make you a lesser artist..it pushes you more..My question is what would you invent another language of art if it already has been written..wouldn't it be better to learn it well and then ..improve on it..but that means at least equalling the past to then surpassing if is possible...but anyways...I do look back,so i can see today and then tomorrow..take care and well good luck..

Last edited by the_allejo05; May 4th, 2006 at 08:44 PM.
    my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are a total legend.....

What do you do when life gives you lemons? You clone those lemons.... and make Super-Lemons...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful work, and props on obviously studying your ass off... 28! yikes!!

i do have an observation though... youre still lifes are gorgeous, near flawless, but theres something strange about your portraits... its almost as if theyre being treated the same as the still lifes... theres something plastic about them, as if they were dolls instead of people... perhaps it is because you make the color transitions in the skin so perfectly smooth? i cant figure it out, so i guess i cant make an informed crit, but something about them feels..... unreal.....unalive?

not to debase your work in the slightest, youre obviously very much in the know and have even more heights to reach as the years unfold....

could you tell us more about your process?

post more!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow I think I just shit myself... that's absolutely incredible.. so real but with an extra quality to them that just makes them so much more..

I don't know what to say..

damn amazing stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those really are amazing. It's obvious you've dedicated a huge amount of time and effort to your craft, and it shows as you're paintings are on the same level as, if not higher, than the 50+ year olds on that gallery's site.

I'll also agree with the allejo on the quality of modern paintings and will readily admit that I have recently made a conscious move towards learning traditional techniques before I decide how my own style should look (of course I can only dream of painting with that mastery). Kudos for painting how you want to paint to the best of your ability (with amazing results).

Again, just a bang up brilliant job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Vhan juju
    I don't know what happend to guys like you gruve24, but whatever it is, it sure has a way of destroying hearts...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I think my brain just...pld:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every witty comment I could make would just cover up that I'm entirely speechless being confronted with your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by the_allejo05
    Man kudos to ya and all the Jacob Collins and Florence Academy students out there..I do respect their art but let let me start with something...In his first lecture to London's Royal Academy, Lord Leighton addressed the subject of the 19th century's preoccupation with acute optical realism:

"This movement has evidently great elements of good; it is the outcome of sincerity...and more sympathetic insight into human nature; but it has also its alloy; for an excessive absorption of the attention in the most superficial aspect of things tends to the over-development of the simply imitative faculty, which is the lowest gift of the artist, at the cost of his aesthetic faculty and of his imagination, which are the noblest, and tends therefore also to triviality and loss of that which gives to Art its high place amongst the elements of civilization."

You guys have to understand that the old masters never went for acute realism...that is not the way of design,manerism,colorists.. please do look a Titian,a Michelangelo,Raphael,Sargent,Leonardo,Rubens,Goltz ius,Poussin,Boucher,Durer, Goya,Velasquez,Van Dyck, Delacroix,Ingres,Degas,Courbet,Tintoretto,Rembrand , and dont know how many throughout history..etc etc..and all the great masters of Art..interest in realism is not the way of the masters..they go beyond that..realism has always been considered ugly and crude..and I agree..realism is what you and I see..Art is more...Im tired of those schools saying "thats the way of the masters, we are like them or even better.." the only art i see is the preocupation with the eye..or at least thats what i see..where is the mastery of anatomy ,of invention, of color,of design, of simplicity of form, of decoration,of architecture,gesture, geometry,narrative, even individualism, where? all these painters paint the same, i cant tell one from the other? good compositions yes..excellent eye and craftsmanship but hell their is more...Im sorry if I am the only one who sees that..Im not impressed by these so called "new masters" dont even dare group them with the old masters..please appreciate ,and study real art througout history ,it is never been so superficial..I guess it reflects our current society which preocupation with what's outside is more important with real feeling Art is more than whay you see with the eye..at least even in the academic painters of the French Academy there was more interest. Anyways i had to let this out..please check for these guys at least they are trying to keep the tradition alive....
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/Instructors.htm
    http://www.benlongart.com/bio.html

funny, i was actually thinking the same thing.
    do me a favor dude, go pick up the book "goad" and look at what phil hale has done. fucking amazing. way more interesting than your work.
    no offence intended mind you, you've got a lot of great stuff here. but with this level of realistic detail i ask, "why not just take a photo?"
    seems like a lot of wasted effort to me. theres just nothing unique about these paintings.
    again, it is amazing work....but its boring.
    here's a challenge for your next painting: paint your fencing jacket and equipment again, but do it in motion. have 2 guys fencing, but no people inside the outfits.
    or if you want to do a still life, do it of something interesting(although i do give props to the fact that you ddin't do a still life of a skull with a glass of wine).
    whats gonna make your painting unique?
    for example: i can look at 5000 photos of various photographers and i can pick out a photo by Joel Peter Witkin every time.
    think about it.

Last edited by TheDirtSyndicate; May 20th, 2006 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you must be the best photorealist drawer ever 0_O dont understand how people do that.. 0___O *amazed*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

amazing!!! really, really amazing!!

but i do agree with Layil about your portraits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought these were photos when I first saw them! I wish I could see these for real. Thanks for sharing the progress shots.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am baffled by the high level of skills you got. Really amazing.
    What I do wonder is what direction you will go with your art. You have mastered realism.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fuck man- these are amazing- youre a freak haha

do you have any original concepts? id love to see those too!

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ www.BADiDEAfactory.com ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,547 Times in 2,159 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by complete2
    funny, i was actually thinking the same thing.
    do me a favor dude, go pick up the book "goad" and look at what phil hale has done. fucking amazing. way more interesting than your work.
    no offence intended mind you, you've got a lot of great stuff here. but with this level of realistic detail i ask, "why not just take a photo?"
    seems like a lot of wasted effort to me. theres just nothing unique about these paintings.
    again, it is amazing work....but its boring.
    here's a challenge for your next painting: paint your fencing jacket and equipment again, but do it in motion. have 2 guys fencing, but no people inside the outfits.
    or if you want to do a still life, do it of something interesting(although i do give props to the fact that you ddin't do a still life of a skull with a glass of wine).
    whats gonna make your painting unique?
    for example: i can look at 5000 photos of various photographers and i can pick out a photo by Joel Peter Witkin every time.
    think about it.

complete2: What you are speaking of is called "taste". I viewed your works and know the artists you speak of and your taste is simply more rock and roll and juvenile.

You should not judge art solely on taste. You should have an open mind. After all, it would be like a musician saying baroque or classical music is unworthy and only green day and the white stripes are any good.

phil hale does not have the same skills as doug, and doug does not have the same skills as phil hale. joel peter witkin does not have the same abilities as sally mann...and around and around it goes....each artist has an important path. each of those artists are important. each one is different.

many can see the difference between dougs still life and fine art and other traditional painters. His color use, his paint surface, and his way of handling light is unique to his work. if you have to see something as glaringly obvious as a joel peter witkin in a stack of photos to know if it is by a certain artist, then perhaps you should look closer. "that is like looking at a hunk of obsidian in a box of different kinds of diamonds"...study the stones man!

I do believe that as you grow in your work and as your mind opens up that you will find taste for fine paintings such as these. Any person pushing their oil painting and art skills can appreciate such things, I would think. The path to understanding what one sees is life long and worthy of any artist. Some artists choose that path, others choose different ones. All paths are worth looking at closely if one is to understand and learn. You should try it sometime. If you do, your work will improve

Now, back to the point at hand. Doug you have some gorgeous images here. The shell painting gives me the tingles. Thank you very much for sharing these. The process work makes it look so easy...but i know better. I tried for many years just to have one image like those which you create. i know how challenging it is to do such things. I know how much dedication it takes. You, unlike me, have found great success with that path which I hold such deep respect for. Thanks for posting.

Jason

Last edited by Jason Manley; May 20th, 2006 at 01:17 PM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta put in some defence here. Alejo-, are you so sure you know what art is? Be careful. Think a moment why "the 3 masters" have made the history dialogue the way it is. Mostly politics. Not skill. Mike made his career screwing over popes, not finishing a damn thing and running off w the dough. Bernini surpasses him in ability overall and doesnt have the same noteriety. I dont know the history but it probably doesnt have to do with Mike's "superiority".
    Flynt's only 28 yrs old. This is fantastic. How old are you? Hows your 'technical' skill measure up? Yes this is a concept site dedicated to ideas and dreamers. This art is clearly technique. It shouldnt (IMO) be compared with the art that comes from deep within the imagination.

Complete-,take a photo? You do what Flynt is doing. This is a STILL LIFE. Hence NO MOVEMENT. Dont ask an orange to be an apple duder.
    I understand what you guys are suggesting. And Im curious too as to what someone with this amount of skill could do with something more imaginative. But Flynt has obviously put in a lot of hard work. This is what he enjoys. Dont bash him for being niche oriented. Especially if you cant match him. Besides, theres no telling where Flint will go artistically/professionally, and without a doubt it will be commendable.
    Dont know where this all came from. Dont even know Flynt. Sorry for the offence.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons because, to them, you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow these paintings that you posted, I can't believe I didnt see this thread sooner! These are truely inspirational to me as I myself am working to finish off a Fine Arts degree.
    In my University, the idea of realism is a dirty thought. The words "Illustrative" and "pointless" come up all the time so I am no stranger to the ongoing debate between artists on this very issue. I deeply respect your strength and courage and your amazing technical as well as artistic ability. I am humbled and encouraged by your work. I am a fan of realism and in my school every attempt I make is shot down, this work of yours gives me courage to keep trying and to do what I enjoy and make what I want to make.
    I thank you with deepest sincerity for showing us these paintings and I only wish that I could be able to see them in real life. Thank you

Dave

P.S. On average, how long does it take you to complete a painting? I know it varies greatly depending on size and detail, but is there a rough timeframe for how long it takes you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for showing some process

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.N8vandyke.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the beauty of life as seen via the artist the feeling of life dimension emotion and texture goes beyond any digital/film photo (those of course have there place) Flynt your ability to transcend the dimension of banality with your art is astounding, thanks for sharing your gifts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    could you please explain this part in a little more detail?

Charcoal underdrawing

Underdrawing sprayfixed with light wipeout

You're paintings are truly amazing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first let me apologize to Complete...didnt mean to delete your post...its late..was trying to edit my own....i did manage to copy paste it though as part of my quote. so here it is...

Quote Originally Posted by complete2
    no, its not about taste.
    its about me already seeing this world. i see it every fucking day.
    my goal as an artist is to see the world in a DIFFERENT way.
    i took a trip recently to this really cool aquarium, they had manatees there. i remember this manatee checking me out through the glass....then without missing a beat he kinda rotated around to where he was upside down looking at me.....it hit me, thats how i want to be. i want to see the world from many different perspectives. i want to see the world in all kinds of different ways.
    btw, i dont appreciate being pidgen holed like that. i used joel peter witkin and phil hale as examples for the simple fact that they stand out above the rest, they prove my point the quickest. for instance, i could have used the photographer boogie to prove my point instead of witkin. or i could have picked any one of the 30 painters mentioned above by the_allejo05.
    and you're wrong about phil hale, he does have the same skills. he chooses to take his work to the next level. he has quite a few photo realistic paintings, but even those are unique because hes showing us how HE sees the world, not exactly how the world is.
    i've seen this world every day for 25 years, show me something new. this is ART....art to me isn't re-creating reality.

again, they are amazing paintings...technically. i commend you on your technical skills. i just think you should take it to the next level by adding some creativity to your paintings. cause right now the only creativity i see, is the first step in your still lifes: building the collage of items you're going to paint. the rest is just technical skills.
    what comes to mind are all those guys who know photoshop inside and out, know 3d programs inside and out, know aftereffects inside and out....but they cant design/animate/or model worth a damn.
    your technical skill is that you can paint photo realisticly.
    now go do a photorealistic painting of something unique, something thats never been done before.

again, i want to stress this ONE MORE TIME (the 6th time i think), that i think these paintings are amazing. i have the utmost respect for people who can do what you do

btw, i fucking hate greenday AND the white stripes.
    i think mr flynt here has a unique vision that is only beginning to blossom. he is only 28 and fresh out of school after all. what he has accomplished so far is absolutely amazing. he is already one of the finest still life painters on the planet. that alone is worthy of commendation. of course this is my opinion...others like you have their own thoughts to share.

I might suggest you try to do what he is doing so you can better understand the path he is on..and also improve your own works...that quest which traditional artists share to overcome their own misunderstandings for how they may view the world in order to relate truth into their paintings...is perhaps one of the most difficult things an artist can try to do.

it is a question of taste, whether you care to admit it or not...what you consider phil hale doing as "the next level" is more in the range of illustration than traditional fine art. that is like saying led zeppelin is better than beethoven...its two different worlds...apples and oranges...both beautiful..both valid...both deliscious to the senses. neither are a success because of what you personally think.

I do believe that as you mature in your own work that your mind will open. right now you have a particular taste and viewpoint. years from now, that will change. what was once upside down will become right side up and sideways. Such is the beauty of following the art path.

If your own work showed that you had even a minute understanding of the path Doug is on then you would find ears who would listen. Right now your words and art come across as one who only listens to one genre of music and attempts to invalidate others. As an artist, you could focus on having an open mind to all perspectives instead of just focusing on one that is upside down.

Traditional Fine Artists do not historically mature until they reach their fifties or sixties. Considering Doug has found such inspiring success this early....I can only hope that I am around to see what he does when his artistic facility reaches full bloom.

Jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMath
    could you please explain this part in a little more detail?

Charcoal underdrawing

Underdrawing sprayfixed with light wipeout

You're paintings are truly amazing!
    I would like to hear more about this as well.....plz.

are you fixing the drawing and then doing an oil wash over the top prior to lift out? looks like burnt umber and ivory black over the top for atmosphere and increased value depth...then wipe out to get the full range of values which you seek.

since it is hard to tell on the monitor, I would enjoy hearing some details about your process. I would appreciate it.

Jason

J

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was fortunate enough to see your paintings at Pence. beautiful work. the fencing outfit really stood out to me as one of my favorites there. Im glad to see you posting on this forum. and thanks for the under-painting pics

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1