Art: Speed painting of my kids toys

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Speed painting of my kids toys

Hey guys. Did this one tonight. 2 hrs in photoshop. Heres the pic I was looking at. Rip it a new one.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything looks very accurately drawn, proportions and details all look right. It could be a lot warmer. Notice how the photo has much warmer grays. Lots of yellow, and orange in the browns. All the bright lights reflecting on the chair arm etc. have a warm yellow quality that makes the whole scene more friendly and inviting.
    Nice work though.

Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I loved the idea and the composition, but the pic was a little lacking. A bit too many greys and not enough colors. Thanks for the comments guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKECORRIERO
    A better picture with interesting lighting would have fit better, also it seems like the colors are muddy. Usually with speed paints you want to give some kind of sense of strong lighting, moody colors and interesting brush strokes. I can see you strayed from the reference a great deal as far as "saturation" and "lighting" are concerned probably also due to the fact that the reference makes it hard to see details that would be important to recognize the forms which leaves you guessing in areas. It's good not to be a slave to your reference but don't neglect the things that are important

I think IM in the same lines of thought with you, the first thing I notice is as I squeese my eyes is that the painted version is far too light, so you should have probably had an approach of painting forms first with what I like to say is that devide the image into chomps or areas of similar value, instead of thinking of the image as seperate items on it

I show you an example here, I shrinked the image and did contrasts more higher to illustrate for more clarity to find few areas, I found them 3 here, the window being lightest, the background and then the bunch of objects in the foreground, so I painted these 3 areas first not worrieng about the details for now
    Then I added the colour values, I didnt start to work on it so much because its not my image but I just wanted to point out the approach to speedpainting that I have, I might be wrong too but this were my thoughts if you like

Speed painting of my kids toysSpeed painting of my kids toysSpeed painting of my kids toysSpeed painting of my kids toys

Last edited by Egets; May 2nd, 2006 at 05:43 PM.
    look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I see what your saying. I'll see if I can work more like this on my next project. I was planning on doing a bunch of these, so maybe I'll get better as I go. Each time I do one, I'll post the picture I use. I purpose changed the contrast because I wanted to see the chair better, but maybe in doing so I weaked the effect.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.