Manalapan NJ. go to college at Muhlenberg in PA. Philosophy major... w00t
    Thanks

Paper and Pencil Types

Hey i was wondering what kind of paper you guys prefer to draw on. I cant decide wheter i like rougher or smoother paper; canson stuff is ok. Also, does anyone know a good site to order sketch books and paper from? I want a brown/tan paper sketchbook so i can use white colored pencil for highlights.

Do u guys prefer regular pencils or mechanical; if mechanical, do u use all the mm leads or just .5 and .3? And if u use regular pencils, what brand?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    it's basically personal prefrence, try differnet things out and see what you like, there's not going to be some secret combonation of materials that will make your sketches look better, as far as getting different colored sketchbooks most art supply stores should have them or you could look around online.

Thanks
    I draw on cheap sketchbook paper with a normal mechanical pencil (.7 mm, I think). Since I scan everything in anyway, it doesn't really matter what the lineart's done on..

Thanks
    When I'm sketching thumbnails, I use whatever is at hand. Sometimes it's plain old 24# bond (xerox/laser printer paper) which is always handy. Sometimes it's the pages of a Moleskine (which I always have at least one of on my person, though they're always lined because I use them for text notes more than drawing). Sometimes, it's one of my sketchbooks (always the cheapos) and sometimes it's a grid ruled Rhodia notebook that's always in my bag. It's whatever I have within reach. (and the drawing instrument of choice for thumbs is usually a Uniball Signo 207 simply because there's always one in my pocket for day to day writing duties).

When drawing a sketch beyond the thumbnail stage, I usually use plain old 24# bond and Staedtler pencils (6H and/or 2H, the occasional HB or 2B). My pencil sketches are never finished since I always go over the linework with pen -- hence the hard pencil leads. Finished drawings usually end up as pen/marker overlays on marker paper, Bienfang 360 in most cases, but again it depends on what's handy.

I used to use mechanical pencils of varying hardness, but I just don't like the lead quality. Even the higher end mechanical leads all have some form of polymer additive in them and it just ends up feeling like a crayon rather than a pencil (a really sharp crayon, but a crayon none the less). Pentel leads especially feel like drawing with a tiny pastel or something. Not that there's anything wrong with pastels, it's just that if I wanted to use pastels, I wouldn't have picked up a pencil. When I did use mechanical pencils, I used 6H and HB .5 lead, 2H and HB lead in both .7 and .9 mm varieties. I did a lot of plan drawings back then and the varying leads were very handy for that and kind of became a habit when I was sketching.

As far as papers are concerned, I rarely if ever use "artist" papers except for final marker renderings on marker paper (and sometimes not even then... my poor markers dry up so fast, I'm like an abusive parent). The whole "tooth" thing is great when working with really soft media like charcoals, chalks or pencils in the 4B-8B range, but I almost never use that stuff. Pencils in the 6H-2B range pretty much look the same no matter what paper you're using and the volume of drawing that I like to do would get expensive very quickly if I were using anything other than the cheap stuff.

If you want grey paper though, that's tougher to find cheap, but any art store should be able to accomodate with at least a 9"x12" wirebound sketchbook.
    -------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Thanks
    big black sketchbook paper. steadler 2B and castell 3B pencils, perferably. usually i run out, though, and start using all kinds of stuff.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    I second the comment about getting alot and trying alot because it's all personal preference, it's up to you... usually crappy materials means crappy results but in drawing it's not necessarily the case... cheap charcoal can be a bitch to work with though, but then again, i'm not a big fan of the high end stuff either.

I've recently been using Rives BFK, which gives a nice result but takes a long time to properly work over and prepare for texture. I'm using patterned texture charcoal paper for current large drawings. nice and smooth with an even texture.

Smooth paper is quick to work on but doesn't come in sketchbooks and gives a very sterile looking sketch, not sure if i like the results but the process is easier w/ a mech pencil...
    http://www.thefifthcolumn.net/evisr8r/sb/17.jpg

I used to work on a rougher sketch paper because I didn't really care about materials and I'm not too conscious when sketching so I would often smudge images because the tooth left alot to be picked up by my hand.
    http://www.thefifthcolumn.net/evisr8r/sb/48.jpg

I've found a happy medium with canson's universal recycled sketch paper, I've stopped working in my other sketchbooks and doodle in this one now
    http://www.aswexpress.com/art-supply.../0049672000000

And my favorite pencil for sketching right now is this, mainly for its big grip and light weight for a drafting pencil.
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cl...ring=mrd&hl=en

I found both in hobby lobby.

Thanks
    I prefer a little rougher paper. I like the texture it gives the drawings and I like the feel of it while drawing. Recently I've been using Strathmore 80lb. drawing paper.

As for pencils, I use a lead holder, which is kind of like a mechanical pencil, but it holds thicker drawing leads that come in all the usual variations (H, HB, 2B, etc.). I love the weight of it (I prefer a heavier pencil), and I love shading with it as I can pull the lead out as far as I want and have a larger surface area to shade with.

Manalapan NJ. go to college at Muhlenberg in PA. Philosophy major... w00t
    Thanks
    yeah im trying lots of stuff. I recently found the bristol board paper (really smooth) to be enjoyable working on. I like the feel and not having to sharpen aspect of mechanical pencils, but they dig and cut and give too much variety in line quality when working on rough. Havent tried regular pencils on the bristol board yet. hmmm

Thanks
    for me i use the whitest paper i can find by the ream <printer type > with a decent weight and .3 pencil mechancial .. soem tiems .5 on smooth hard surface <no paper underneith i liek it alot this way