Sketchbook: If the answer is infinite light, why do we sleep in the dark? - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: If the answer is infinite light, why do we sleep in the dark?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo! Since you're designing characters I suggest doing a bunch of sillhouettes and just have fun with all sorts of shapes. Don't think about what that shape might look like just be loose and have fun. It's a nice way to just focus more on the possibilities of design and to bring out more ideas.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have seen all 11 pages, some good stuff in there.

I love this (I would love to see it finished and colored)

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...6&postcount=10

and this (there is something wrong with the shadow on the left leg)

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=297.

Overall the last ones show a very big improvement , clearer lines, better proportions, better postures. Keep them coming.

So you think , that you are a noob ? Wait till you see my sketchbook.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135839

If you want something better then listen to my music

http://www.soundclick.com/kilon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zelda_geek: Cool, thanks! The more norwegians the better
    Dizon: Hey dude! Long time, no see. Sorry about that. Yeah, silhouettes can be fun.
    kilon: Thanks, man. That first one you linked is getting pretty old now, hehe. From the phase where I had this thing for super-muscular women... yeesh... I'd rather re-do it sexier

*sigh* I'm ashamed of how little I've been drawing lately. Did some photo-ref stuff today, just to try to get into it again.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoo, finally have photoshop installed again
    Took that last sketch and worked on it a bit. Mmm, speedpainty.

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Hai!^^

You say you hate your 3 stars... So I have a little guide for you, that will get you out of it

First off, you have to realize why you do art! Is it fun ? is it something you always did casually ?
    Do you want to become a professional ? do you like to draw portraits ? .. whatever, just hinting.

depending on what the answer is to that question, you have to think about what you're 'showing the world'
    , sure, if you're just making art casually and for yourself, you don't have to mind those points I will
    be giving you!

! Quality over quantity and quantity will become quality!

- if you want to draw pretty pictures, you gotta slow down man, think about EVERY stroke you're putting down, and try
    to see them as form, light, shapes, etc etc..

I see you starting off with great values and shapes, but you almost immediately scribble those to death.
    I only looked back to last year of your sketchbook, and there is a consistant 'need' of finishing of a piece in
    the smallest amount of time possible!!

but why is that anders ? Don't you think it'd be pretty rad to have a totally finished piece that you spent
    more then 1 hour on ? In fact, I'm unsure if you even spend 1 hour on most of your stuff ? Although, i saw some good studies.

and yes! studies!

If you've ever spent a really long time doing a study, that turned out alright, do you remember how much
    time you had to spend on EACH element of this painting/drawing to get it right ?

Now imagine the possibility of drawing the same thing without studying, with the goal of finishing... FASTER , then you did this study ?
    thats almost impossible. Thats why you have to build a VERY strong visual library, where the foundation is very
    strong. Untill you're able to simplify what you're doing to the very least, to just 1-2 strokes, you HAVE to spend
    a lot of time studying , and EVEN LONGER time putting that stuff down from your head! I promise you
    will notice REALLY SOON how everything you do from head will become more 'meaningful'.
    Again, every stroke can matter.

! VALUE is COLOR

I find painting with 'cold' colors easier as the spectrum gets broader. That is beacause of 'basic' color theory.
    Cold colors are darker, and most people are generally more confident painting values , and since I can use
    the darkest color of my spectrum.. that makes me pretty confident with 'cold' colors.

You use very warm colors, warm greys, warm warm warm! Try to broaden YOUR horizon a bit, use the whole
    color-wheel to your advantage. My suggestion to you is basically to try to make a few environments, in cold, and the same ones
    in warms!

if you do that, I think it won't take long before you realize what i mean with "value is color" , and even sooner, you will realize
    how much you can do to your images by just putting the values ( color! ) down right!
    When I say 'right' I don't mean by some code or anything.. we all have ideas of what we want our stuff to look like. And everything
    plays a part in that. Thats why you need strong basics to build your art up to what you really want it to look like! :]

! More specific critique**

-Try to always draw out the hands.. I know I don't do this myself, but its something i'm learning atm.. haha
    -Line weight! Work on it man, you can make a pencil drawing so much more interesting with the right lineweight.
    -Balance, all your figures seems a bit unbalance.. I recommend Hogarth or Bridgman for this.. I like the rythm's in bridgmans work, but the 'weight' more in hogarths..so the mix is good ?
    - DON'T RUSH.. nuff said about that, but its your biggest weakness
    -Also, Realize you have tons of potential.. as I said, some of your studies are _great_ , but we don't see much of that because of your rush-habits
    - Don't 'hide' parts you're uncomfortable with drawing.. sure if you can't draw faces, drawing a face might completely destroy
    the 'standard' you have set in your mind.. but if you challenge yourself drawing the stuff you don't usually draw right away.. it won't take long before
    it catches up in quality!

I also spent about 1.5 hours ( thats good for a speedpaint still man. DON'T RUSH IT ) doing an overpaint of your latest speed-painting!

All I did was to , Clean up and define edges. Define shapes. Define light directions,
    what I didn't have to do was , I didn't had to reshape anything, I didn't had to change anything compositionally ( sp? ) and I didn't had to change your colors more than adding some
    saturation.

( sorry I can't draw faces : ( )

http://i33.tinypic.com/m3urn.jpg

I hope you don't mind!

-diLe

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dile_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want my 3 stars back... can we trade?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @~Faust~: Trade three stars for none? Absolutely!

@Dile_:

Duuuuuuude, I can't thank you enough! Taking so much time out of your day to help me, that's awesome!

I completely agree with everything you say. Especially the rushing. I'm so impatient it's not even funny. So incredibly focused on the result raher than the process. I'll have to somehow find the stamina to work on an image longer.

Again, thank you so much for the paintover and everything. Every point you made was valid and great. I will try to keep these things in mind at all times.

Oh, and it's not really the three stars I hate, just that most CA.orgians seems to steer away from sketchbooks with 3 or fewer stars. By mentioning it in the title I hoped to draw some attention. I guess it worked?

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've really been trying to spend time on my drawings. The ones in this update are still quick sketches, but I spent more time on them than I do normally. I tried not to be so scribbly and to think about every stroke. It's a challenge, though. Sometimes the mind just wanders off.

I'll be looking to take something to a more finished level one of these days.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  143.6 KB Name:  002.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  166.0 KB

I did this portrait from a photo a few days ago...
    Name:  portrait1.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  119.2 KB

... and then I did this today, trying to do the portrait again, from memory.
    Name:  003.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  256.6 KB

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    way better man!.. but you gotta work more and harder :] I know you want to do it.. so do it!

Also think of the lines as 'setups' or 'constructions' who are going to hold the form... not as 'outlines'... which mean you gotta consider the pressure you put on your pencils.. how dark your lines come out etc.

just keep it up.. but i want to see more man! not 1 update every 10-15th day ;D

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again Anders!

see you fixed the name ;P

Nice to see so many media again, think its really helping you. Liking the markers in #299!
    When you want to make more 'finished' pieces, make sure you start out real light. To the point that you almost can't see the lines. Just make them stronger as you get the right shapes. And think of them as real 3d objects, not just flat outlines. More of a mind-trick, but I feel its working for me.

Got the feeling your crosshatching and pencil sketching is getting stronger, keep at it. Keep sketching! Especially with the difficult poses and angles and such, sometimes just trying it out a lot can help you grasp the right shape.
    See you at the spartan camp! (I hope)

Keep it up!

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good job on the portrait. Although remember that the eyeball is a sphere and that it's not totally white. Right now, it's the most flat element in your picture. Giving that pasted feel.

Also, I would get rid of the black lines of the hair. Look at it as big shape and mass being described by light and shadow. You don't have to put in every hair strand to make it look convincing.

Last edited by Dizon; October 20th, 2008 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dile_ : I know, man. Here's finally an update. I'll explain a bit why there's been no updates further down. Means a lot that you came back, though.

Anthis: Heh, yeah, figured it was time to get rid of those things after my name
    Thanks for the nice words.

Dizon: I see what you're saying. I'll try to keep it in mind.

Now then; looong time without an update. Shortly after my last update things got really hectic at school. Had an exam in a class I'll be content with just passing, and a deadline in another class was fast approaching. Due to this I got really far behind in my JAVA class, so things just piled up. I tried to cram as much drawing as I could between it all. The first page of today's update is from shortly after my last update, and was the last page of sketches I was kinda pleased about for quite a while. As I didn't get as much time for drawing, I got frustrated and felt everything I drew turned out shit. So soon I found myself in this downward spiral where as soon as I sat down with my sketchbook and pencil, I'd already think that "this is gonna suck", and so naturally it did, which made it worse the next time etc. (lol, the way I'm talking, you'd think this took place over several months )

Aaaanyway, ordered myself a Bridgman book, "Constructive Anatomy", and I got it delivered today. So I'm just gonna do studies from it as a way to force myself to draw again, without having to think about design or being original or whatever. Here are the first pages.

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 more pages. While I've been doing these I've tried to pay attention to line weight. Not sure it shows, heh.

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man i love the studies! Great lines! now do more!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dile_ For This Useful Post:

Hai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found a place to go to for croquis. Sadly I only got to go to one session before they took a winter break, but I'll definitely start going there regularly (weekly) once they start up again in January. Here's what I did at that one session, and some hands as well.

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Anders,

Happy new year!

Great to see you got yourself Bridgman! Nice studies, and hands right away! You seem to be using a thick pencil in some of those studies, am I correct? Don´t know, or it just seems. Nice hands.
    Nice ´croquis´ studies. I had to look up the word but it seems like a great practice. Try to draw the whole body, including feet, as you´ll need to include them to practice balance. Those feet can really define the perspective and balance. And they are tough.. (or at least to me). Great sketches though, also because real people are much different from the perfect model human look you often see.

Keep at it and good luck. And join the spartan camp someday..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis: I'm using a relatively soft pencil for the hands, and I have a tendency to use too much force when I draw, I think. In these particular croquis drawings, the reason there's no feet is that I didn't have any time, actually. I expect my timing to improve once I get to practice it a bit more. Definitely want to practice feet, same as hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis
    Keep at it and good luck. And join the spartan camp someday..
    My new years resolution is to work harder, so I might just do that

Some ballpen doodles from my new moleskine today. I have some more stuff I want to show, but I can't upload them yet for various reasons.

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the studies you have.

And the doodles, in the moleskin , they're pretty interestin' , Always think people put more intereszting stuff in the moleskins, than , a rgular sketchbook.

Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice drawings! It's a bit stiff, but as long as you keep on doing it you'll start to loosen up more.

When you start to add tone just think in terms of light and shadow shapes. Try to simplify even though it's easy to get overwhelmed by the details. Just squint to get the overall values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evxyza92: Yeah, it's funny that. I've noticed the same.
    Dizon: Yeah I have some catching up to do, I think. I've been awfully unproductive the last 6 months. Hopefully the life drawing and Bridgman can help me get back to where I was.

Some doodles and some Bridgman feet.

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First life drawing session of the year, yay And already my output (as in quantity) is starting to look like the entire fall of 2008

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick ballpoint pen doodle, but at least it's something

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another nice set of life drawings!

I did a lil crit of one your drawings here. I only suggest to have fun with the line of action. You don't have to stay 100% accurate to the model. You gotta have fun a bit you know? Also think of the rib cage as leaning backward. This gives the torso a nice line of action that's curved.

Later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dizon: Yeah, I see what you're saying. Tried to keep it mind during today's session. Thanks

Ugh, I want a new sketchbook page! The files on this page are all way too big! Why haven't I compressed them more? I'm too lazy to go back and change them though...

Anyway, more life drawing. Scanning A3 is a bitch though. Tried to merge the images as best I could.

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My Age of Conan character. I usually struggle a lot with my digital painting projects, ending up pretty frustrated. This one went surprisingly easy though, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More life drawing. Didn't quite 'feel it' this time. Maybe I was a little tired or something.

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Hai I'm Angela (Ang) Just joined the SSG and spent a lovely afternoon browsing here. Gotta say, I'm really impressed, especially the progress you've made with anatomy and your line quality (something I constantly have to work at too) Mostly though I think you've got a great eye for costume design (#269 + #166 are lovely, I'm quite jealous ) ...eager to see where Project Noir goes too.

See you round

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job on your character! Glad to see you worked on it more. I would suggest to add 3 dimensionality in your drawing. Some elements of the character, particularly his clothing look very flat. You have make it "wrap" around the figure. Also i would like to see defined shadows in some areas especially his skin. Just try to keep the values very simple and use big brushes to lay it out. Don't be afraid of being messy. Basically, have 3 values for the light and 2 for the shadow. That's all you need really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anders!
    Great to see more studies, as well as some doodles and characters.

#317; How is the moleskine working out? Thought it would really suit you, its nice for just sketching doodling characters and trying things out. Just exploring and having fun. Judging from that female body, you've learned about different shadows and all that. See if you can practice that in your lifedrawings. Although I can see that some of them are on a quick timer.
    Anyways - make sure you remember your Bridgman when you are drawing bodies. You know, masses of the body and such. What's inside (bone structure, solid masses etc) gives shape to the outside. The newer poses are already more fluent than the ones in #321. Think Dizon already mentioned that.
    #322: Nice character, ballpoint seems like a tough medium. Remember sharp highlights for reflective objects, soft for the rest.
    #325; Has a lot of character. Nice to see the different textures of his armour, clothing, etc. I see you are struggling with the folds, I'm afraid I don't have any advice on this though. Studies I guess ;s. Looking good though! nice to see you're getting more comfortable with using PS.

Are you also doing longer lifedrawings? or do they only do the croquis thing where you are going?

Keep it up keep it up. Improvement there is. Awaiting your next update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Angela: Hey, welcome to the SSG! Thanks for the praise. Will definitely see you around
    Dizon: Hmmm, good stuff. Thanks.
    Anthis: Moleskine's pretty fun. Although no matter how much I try putting it out of my head, there's always a little pressure to deliver the goods when taking it out I love working in ballpoint for some reason. Hope to improve in that as well. We only do croquis where I go. The longest poses we do are 5 minutes.

Some ballpoint things in my moleskine

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6