Thread: my portfolio

Thanks

my portfolio

Hello Everyone
    My name is Marco Nelor, and im 23. I am graduating in two weeks (early May 2006), and i wish to become a Character concept artist / illustrator. Here are some works, leme know what you think
    I will be graduating from Louisiana Tech University, with a BFA in Studio.
    Before college i was completely self taught.
    At my college, there was no section for illustration, or concept art...only fine art and figure drawing/painting. So forgive me if i dont have a lot of work to show that are concept artist related, although now that i am graduating, i will have MUCH more time to spend doing works in this field. thanx in advance for viewing!
    my portfolio
    my portfolio
    my portfolio
    my portfolio
    my portfolio
    my portfolio
    my portfolio
    my portfolio
    my portfolio
    my portfolio
    Last edited by marco nelor; April 29th, 2006 at 09:56 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    how old are you im just curious?
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    noshadowmaster - if you read his post you would know... tisk tisk where are the crits?

marco nelor - OK, so i am not sure but are you going for a theme. b/c you have one. try a bit more variety in the types of characters you do they look good but i got bored half way through. right about the thurd eye thing and down except the last one should be replaced with some different looking stuff just to show what you can do.

also you didn't listen to the format that was requested no larger then 850 pixels in width. Thank you for posting your work.

-Jesse

edit: noshadowmaster - Last edited by marco nelor : April 29th, 2006 at 08:56 PM. ok dile has shown the error of my comment sorry about that next i will pay more attention
    Last edited by J.Mac; May 21st, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
    "it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    though ballsy, I don't know that paintings of girls on toilets is the best subject matter to put in your portfolio. But hey, I may just be too straight-laced

Overall, you have nice elements in each piece, though I think your "style" is a little too chaotic. I don't feel that the portfolio really holds together because some pieces look so wildly different from each other. It looks as though you've been experimenting in different techniques and methods, which is awesome. The next step, in my opinion, is to point yourself towards the direction that you feel best suits you.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    I actually like the girl sitting on the crapper. I think it's probably your strongest piece. I'm not sure what that little blue thing above her head is (perhaps get rid of it? do you really need it?) but I like the piece alot.
    I also like the first piece, and the last drawing is well done.

For the other pieces I agree with Dave P. - the chaotic nature of all the work makes it hard to read. There's nothing wrong with chaos...as long as it's controlled chaos. I don't get the feeling that you are in complete control yet. Your drawing abilities seem pretty good in some places...but than in others it doesn't look like the same person. 5 & 6 especially. Images 8 and 9 could be drawn well, but your colors aren't harmonizing and it's making it really difficult to make out anything. Look at some guys who are really great at color...there are thousands. Old Masters are always good to start, but there are plenty of threads on this site that can point you in the right direction.

I don't mean to discourage you at all. You definitely have drawing abilities, and I think if you work on your weaknesses you could produce some solid work. Good luck to you
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
J.Mac : Last edited by marco nelor : April 30th, 2006 at 03:56 AM.
so I guess he edited his age, right ??
read the post more carefully next time!

The last three pictures seem to be done by completly different artist, so
yeah, as everybody already pointed out, You useing alot variation in your
work, when comes to style!, so try to get use to 1 style!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile
    The last three pictures seem to be done by completly different artist, so
    yeah, as everybody already pointed out, You useing alot variation in your
    work, when comes to style!, so try to get use to 1 style!
    I disagree. If you are marketing yourself as a concept artist, especially for character design, I've always thought it's better to be good at several styles for the sake of versatility... so long as you have control over those styles.

Not much I can add that hasn't been said, Marco. Practice that color theory and maybe add a few pages of character sketches and expressions as well, to show that you can flesh out a character consistently. Good luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph Laberis
    I disagree. If you are marketing yourself as a concept artist, especially for character design, I've always thought it's better to be good at several styles for the sake of versatility... so long as you have control over those styles.

Not much I can add that hasn't been said, Marco. Practice that color theory and maybe add a few pages of character sketches and expressions as well, to show that you can flesh out a character consistently. Good luck!
    echoing this like a cave, it's 100% right.

nice vivid style you have, stephs crits are spot on.

Thanks
    thanx guys, i appreciate the critiques. ive done a lot of work since then, maybe i will update my portfolio!