Sketchbook: selk's sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

selk's sketchbook

I've been lurking here for a while, gathering courage to start my own sketchbook. Well here it is. To motivate me into learning as much as i could. Comments & critiques are very welcome because I've got much to learn.

Just some introductory sketches to start the thread.

Anatomy
    selk's sketchbook
    selk's sketchbook
    selk's sketchbook
    selk's sketchbook
    selk's sketchbook

Concept art & dig. painting atempt
    selk's sketchbook

Marry had a little lamb
    selk's sketchbook

that's all for know. Hope to have more stuff to post soon.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome to ca .

A great first post, I really like the studies at the begining. The lamb skull is very nice, lovely details. Pushing the values that little bit further would really make it stand out strong.

Great stuff, keep up the good work.

We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, that's a damn good start. not much advice to give as you're obviously studying anatomy (which is great) and you know how to handle your pencil. one thing i realized after seriously starting to draw (which hasn't been that long...) is that you can get rid of the rendering and concentrate on the lines... as i said: great start, hope to see more soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tnx for the comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How rude of me to not properly introduce myself the first time
    I'm male, 25 years old and here to learn and make friends I love concept design and would like to pursue it for the pure fun of designing stuff. Beside that I like to do graphic design and CG 3D illustration and some day animation. In all those areas I'm selftought with a LOT of room for improvement. I came here to get inspired by the beautifull and mindblowing work i see here everyday, and, as i said already a couple of times to learn since I neglected my drawing and design to learn computer science. BLAAAH But no more. Any other information about me you will find in days to come since I have to have some mistery left for me. So let's get on with the show.

Thanks again to everyone for the comments. I really apreciate them as they help me do more. So keep them comming.

So here is a little update. It's mostly sketches, some concept thumbs. I just want to post them here and get them out of my system because I'm still getting use to the idea of showing them to everyone. Weirdoo; what can I say

So here I go
    Doing a little anatomy using ballpoint pen to stop me from trying to be renderman

selk's sketchbook
    An poor attempt at gestures because I don't even know the basic human proportions so I've picked up a Loomis Figure drawing book to start from the bottom. First proportions then inner anatomy seams to me like a good way to approach this
    selk's sketchbook

Another attempt, this time it's faces. Drawing my girlfriend while she was sleeping. And moving. It's her on fault she lost a nose. Or got an extra one.
    selk's sketchbook
    selk's sketchbook

A litlle bit of concept thumbnailing

Some thumbs inspired by mother machine challenge briefing:
    selk's sketchbook
    selk's sketchbook
    selk's sketchbook

Some enironment marker test
    selk's sketchbook

And vehicles thumbs
    selk's sketchbook
    selk's sketchbook
    selk's sketchbook
    selk's sketchbook
    selk's sketchbook

First row on this one requires some explanations
    Despite I was very very tired i decided to try and sketch. Apparently this is all my brain could come up with. On the second car I remembered something from Harald Belker's Gnomon DVD about Minorty report reverse car design (front looks like rear and vice versa) so i decided to try Apparently I also added a front wide, cargo airoplane like, door. A hell of a design I must say The rest of them are from the morning after.
    selk's sketchbook

And for last. A WIP life studies. Real + photo mix. I didn't have the time to draw the whole thing on the spot so I layed down some basic perspective and took some photos from which I will finish this:
    selk's sketchbook

end for know. tnx for viewing

Last edited by selk; June 2nd, 2006 at 03:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

selk's sketchbook :: updated 060622 ::

small update.

complex object perspective construction practice
    Random drawings from National Geographic, croatian edition
    - Grandma & her hand
    - Che Guevara wannabe - he didn't quite turned out correct face to elongated any probably with some perspective errors. I forgot to flip

Last edited by selk; January 29th, 2007 at 03:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey selk you have some nice stuff going on in here. really like those first anatomy studies.

you also have some good starts on the vehicles, something i really want to start doing more of. but keep at it...and keep posting

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I REALLY like your perspective drawing with the arch. Amazing. Makes me want to do stuff like that. You should do more of them and finish that one =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wohoo ! Good sketch ! Continue your good work ! I especially like your air engine design

Don't mind the way I write if you understand what I want to say !
    Vive le Québec libre !

Sketchbook Support Group #26

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im very jealous of your improvement. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome aboard!

Youve got some really nice stuff going on up in here! I like where youre going with it!

Am i right in thinking that youve been watching fengzhus Gnomon dvds? Ive just been watching those myself and i mean to start cranking out some of that perspective stuff myself!

Id like to see some more! of.. everthing, feed me and my desire for updates.

feeeeeeeeeeeeed.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

http://jackwhat.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ellou;

2 Act.Appalled: I should do more of them also

2 Ksama: Thanks. I'll finish it for sure this week and I will do more. I live here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split so there are plenty of stones to draw

2 Soliloque: Thank you
    2 RenegadePogo: Thanks. I can't see any improvement, just frustration so it's nice to here there is some improvement

2 Jackwhat: Feng DVD ? Noooou. Who? Me? Yes. I've been watching them. And learning a lot. And I mean a lot. I also had the oportunity to watch H. Belker and S.Robertsons DVDs. Those guys can do some serious perspective. But I tried to draw pespective stuff before, instinctivly i guess. And some of them actually looked like something But after watching those dvd I definetly improved a bit. I'm try and do some more of this and try to develop some of the thumbs into more defined concepts or even finished works if i dare

Thanks again for your comments. They are really welcomed. I'm just sorry that i haven't head the time or will to draw do to some other stuff i'm doing. I'll just have to find the time to draw some more.

On with the show

- just some random pose stick people because any attempt to draw them with a volume ends up in frustration. so i'm strating from the primitive
    - random stuff with volume
    - I'm creating a logo that will have a mushroom atomic cloud in it. And this time I'm trying a different approach, drawing this on an a3 paper, double the "normal" size and i will later scan it a redraw it in vectors. i'm experimenting as i go since this is my first attempt at something like this. and i'm overlaying so i don't have to fear of fucking everything up. Last drawing is where I'm currently at. I have to finish to top and add some more black but it will probably look something like this in the end.

This are some of my older sketches since i don't have any more new worth showing
    - Some concepts for a cell phone
    - some of my older concepts. a transport truck and a rocket launcher.they where concepts for an animation idea. :: 2 Jackwhat: you see how their perspective sucks
    - and another concept before i didn't even knew what concept design was and how to approach the design. i tried to do everything at once in a very militaristic and a straight way. and i ran into a wall
    - this is what i've managed to do in 3d before i ran into that wall because i didn't do my preproduction correct and entertaining. And because this was my first attempt at doing something complex in Max. Lately I'm thinking about redesigning this on a same general shape and with more playfullnes This time finishing my concept design and making a model in maya from the beginning.

Last edited by selk; January 29th, 2007 at 03:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Selk there are some really nice studies going on here. Those small Enviroment Marker tests are really nice, although its a little hard to see exactly what each one is, i still get a nice feel from them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey no problem. Thanks! Keep your stuff comin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit in my SB, i tried going to the link you sent me, but It gave me a 404 >.<

Selk, im diggin the update, the 3dmodel is very slick, like seeing it from concept to actual model.

vehicles are your definite strong point! definitely want to see more, and possible a 3d model of a car...

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice work up here. Try to simplify and solidify your lines with some contour work or more life drawing. Great.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow

You've been progressing a lot since the last time I check your sketchbook ! Continue your great work. Have you ever tried the blue pencil ? Would be a great asset to your technical (dunno how to called it) drawing of objects

Soli

Don't mind the way I write if you understand what I want to say !
    Vive le Québec libre !

Sketchbook Support Group #26

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.