C.O.W. - #044: Fire Starter - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. - #044: Fire Starter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helzon@- really nice sketch, something I always notice with your work is that you have some trouble when it comes to the color making most of the images have this kind of shinny shell effect and the contrast is the same all over.

I think you would benefit more if you tried to vary your textures and lighting on the creature as well as focus detail on one area, fading the saturation and details on lower portions of the creature that might not be so important. You can still add detail but just push it back further by making the colors less intense and lighter so the bulk of the detail, contrast and saturation fades to the areas that are of more importance. It will bring a better balance and make it easier to view the creature without it becoming confusing.

Same goes for the poses of the designs since some of your creatures have a very strange far out design that sometimes is hard to see because elements overlap with the same amount of texture and detail. This creature is looking good, as I can see your getting better just try to make things more visible for the viewer.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    possessed: maybe you have only set low resolution of your monitor, because I see it good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dave: Thanks man...I will definitely use MikeC's advice when I hit this up with color.

MikeC: This well constructed crit is just what I needed man. Thank you very much!
    I will tone down the details and lighting in the less important areas and vary up the textures and create more interest in the focus. Gratsi!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work guys,

Rushtoy, I had a very similar idea, story's a little different, but it's the same idea with the jellyfish like filled sack.

hum, I think I'll keep on the same track however, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out anyway.

jp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    C.O.W. - #044: Fire Starter
    The Lioth lizards of planet Nardan have the strange abilty to breakdown water into Oxygen, which they release, and hydrogen which they retain in their bodies in large inflating stomach sacs. This allows the little creature to bob about like ballons and steer with their multiple fins.
    They have become the pampered pets of the settlers on this planet, due to the fact that they glow intensely at night and when tickled emit firestarting belches. The Lamplighters of the city use them, as well as all the people traveling from party to party for the wonderful night life of the city.
    Many varieties of these lizards have been bred for thier different glowing colors and their placid nature. they feed on vegetable and lots of water and if cared for properly can life thirty or forty very useful and decorative years. This example is the pet of the Blue Clan, and as such wears their colors on it's elaborate jeweled leash.

Chaos Rocks

and done

Last edited by chaosrocks; May 4th, 2006 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff so far guys! This is a great topic and looks like a lot of fun
    I am throwing my hat in the ring again and as a placeholder for my final render here are my first sketches.
    Not sure of the name yet but the concept is basically: a geneticaly enginered parasitic creature designed for medicinal purposes that unfortunately had severe side effects - it caused its host to spontaniously combust. Stay tuned for more on that story
    --::first draft WAS here::--
    *edit* updated concept:

great work everyone!
    h.

Last edited by BaronVonWink; May 4th, 2006 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helzon- your welcome

Baron- looking interesting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAMN DAMN DAMN... my concept was a creature that causes spontaneous human cumbustion! Well, I guess that can go out the window now... I've got to learn to get a place holder in the post early on, but I though "Who is gonna create a creature involved with Spontaneous Human Cumbustion.... nah, I'm fine."

Live and learn.

Eric

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arteric haha good point -
    Hmm well I dont have anything for a place holder but was discussing with jakkas my thoughts on a

Flintling:
    creature that is made of Flint and uses limbs to strike and create sparks as a defense mechanism- thus starting fires. The creature itself being made of such a substance would be invulnerable to the harm fires can cause.

true description and creature to come

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rushtoy, Rawwad and Helzon out in front with some awesome starters for this round! Nice work fellas!

Baron - love the concept! I live for unstable thoraxes!

Greentopaz - hilarious creature. Feeling a bit :flat" right now, maybe some complimentary colors in there?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work so far. Rawwad, rushtoy - awesome.

Lookin forward to your tut, Tyranx.

I decided to go with an indirect firestarter, which seems to be against the trend. Anyway, here goes:

Caped Moth
    Anatomy
    The 2 distinct features of these creatures are their large abdomen and lengthy 'cape' extending from their thorax. Because of the size and weight of their abdomen these moths can't sustain high altitude flight, and consequently hunt and fly quite close to the ground. In their natural habitat this is not a problem - measuring approx 10 inches from head to tail, they're situated near the top of the insect food chain.

Why the cape?
    Camouflage. In areas of leafy debris, the cape covers its large abdomen, and blends in with the surroundings. This makes it look like an injured insect, and consequently attracts scavenger insects to feast upon. This also means it won't need to chase food, as it's generally fairly slow.

Fire hazard
    In the current state of human expansion these creatures have been forced into residential areas. This is where the problem occurs. Pest control is essential and fire insurance has more than tripled in these neighbourhoods. As low flyers, their thin cape is highly susceptible to catching on fire if it comes in contact with lit candles, bug zappers, or even the hot globe of a lamp. Without any senses in the cape, the moths will continue flying, dropping flaming segments as it travels. Every now and then the fire falls with these portions, leaving the moth with life intact and a ravaged cape to show its victory. However, most times the fire reaches its fibrous abdomen, sending a flaming moth to its death on nearby carpet, grass or other surface. Unless witnessed and hastily doused, this usually results in a housefire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice concept Cognition, way to avoid the obvious and go for something creative. Heh, it kind of reminds me of Spawn for whatever reason. My only crit currently would be to actually have the cape aflame in a few portions. Just have a burning cindery edge in a few areas, similar to what a leaf looks like when set of fire or even paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers, Nexus.
    Yea, you got me. I wanted to try to Spawn style cape and go for something a little more comic-y. Gotta love tattered capes. As for burnt edges, tis a fine thought - I'll get onto it soon enough. Edit: Done.

Last edited by Simon Boxer; May 2nd, 2006 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKECORRIERO
    Flintling:
    creature that is made of Flint and uses limbs to strike and create sparks as a defense mechanism- thus starting fires.
    Crap, that sounds almost exactly like as the creature I've been working on! And it's not like I can compete with Mike using the same concept - he'd just crush me even harder than usual.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKECORRIERO
    Flintling:
    creature that is made of Flint and uses limbs to strike and create sparks as a defense mechanism- thus starting fires. The creature itself being made of such a substance would be invulnerable to the harm fires can cause.
    well....that's better than a fartling! a creature that protects itself with serious intake of air from the mouth end and expells methane from the ass end while unleashing flint particulate from its flanking anal glands.
    no...i'm not drawing this!!...hahahaa!
    but if i did, it'd have a pug's ass since, when they get impacted anal glands, they scoot on the floor. and, if a fartling were to do this butt scoot boogie, it'd be sending sparks up all over the place. hahahahhaa....

at any rate...can't wait to see yer entry mike!
    cheers,
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate
    Crap, that sounds almost exactly like as the creature I've been working on! And it's not like I can compete with Mike using the same concept - he'd just crush me even harder than usual.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.
    Same here...
    Mine was gonna have a flint tail but also used it as a defence mechanism. Well luckily I did have a plan B

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this was an experiment. i dont usually use markers or ink, and thats what this piece started out as.
    colored in ps. im desperate for a fucking wacom tablet.

description coming soon.

-the methanoth-

Methanoths are very bizarre creatures. they have this odd abilitiy to do what is very similar to circular beathing. they breathe in through their noses and mouths continusiouly while their body converts it into methane gas which is released through the tubes in their backs.
    unfortunately for these creatures, sometimes the methane gas ignites sending them either flying into the air like a chaotic balloon to crash into the ground destroying anything within a 10 mile radius on impact, or they simply explode with the same ammount of devestation. (we'll never forget the chernobyl disaster)
    chunks of bone and blubber have also been found on top of crushed cars up to 50 miles away from an explosion.

Last edited by TheDirtSyndicate; May 3rd, 2006 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the way you've coloured that, complete2, got some sweet texture happening, but I think it'd look better if you get rid of the pen shading (the hatching) and just keep the outline and those little dots/hairs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chaosrocks, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "ain't it great to be invisible." If you mean that you've recieved no comments on your creature then leaving negative notes about not being noticed isnt going to change anything. Honestly, at this point the only great thing about your creature is the story behind it. However since it doesnt depict any of the interesting scenes such as "The Lamplighters of the city use them, as well as all the people traveling from party to party for the wonderful night life of the city" then its not even really living up to the cool concept behind it. Right now the rendering is flat and the composition isnt anything to get excited about. People will comment when you have something that really appeals to them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chaos: this comes as...too little too late, right?
    However, I did enjoy the concept behind this. You took it and made it your own. Now it's just time to get the visual to match up with the writing. Perhaps a party scene of tops of heads retreating into the distance and these Lamplighters float and change color and show how the guests might have 'customized' them. One knows just how much Paris Hilton loves to cusomize her little skittering rat on a leash.
    Also perhaps instead of going straight to color...we could see a line version of this? Play with the volumes and even at this point it doesn't look as lavish a creature as you describe. Keep at it though.
    Cheers!

Last edited by Helzon; May 2nd, 2006 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RLY cool placeholder of Dooom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha Possessed. Is it shooting fire from it ass?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, the turnips it eats are so indigestive that the creature(insert cool name here) has developed ultra disgestive fluids to break the turnip down into all the nutrients the creature needs. The un-used parts however are excreted out of the creature's anus along with the highly volatile chemicals/fluids, which form a combustable material when in contact with air.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm sounds alot like the Bombadier Beetle. It works along the same idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi !
    This is my first post in here (C.O.W.)
    My vision of Fire Starter.

Tryx

little update and describe:

Tryx lives in underground caves near wulcanos mountains. He has very hard and elastic skin. To live he
    need very high temperature. When he travel to high, colder part of the caves, in his container of
    sideways of his body, he produce a gas which burn to warm up his blood and total body. He eat a crystals
    and minerals whitch he found at the caves. He melt them by his tentacles and absorb to body.

Last edited by Yoszko [PL]; May 3rd, 2006 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by possessed
    yes, the turnips it eats are so indigestive that the creature(insert cool name here) has developed ultra disgestive fluids to break the turnip down into all the nutrients the creature needs. The un-used parts however are excreted out of the creature's anus along with the highly volatile chemicals/fluids, which form a combustable material when in contact with air.
    it's a fartling! hahahahaaaa.....i knew someone would do it!

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it won't let me edit.. the last post... but Helzon. thanks for the encouragement.

c.rocks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chaos: it's ok ...i understand where you're coming from.
    So long as you keep the focus on the creatures and not on the people then why not? There are ways to do that...don't put details into the people and keep the creatures pretty fleshed out. Sketchy outlines of party goers in all states of gesture(animated and sedate), but these Lamplighters would be on their ornate leashes with some nice tight detailing.
    Also it would depend on the angle from which you choose to illustrate the scene.

As is stated in the rules..you don't have to have an environment...but you can if you want. If it gives the viewer a greater sense of how the creature is 'used' or interacts with it's surroundings. I don't see the detriment in that. You can also give the sense of a party even if it's two people on a balcony with their lamplighters...it was all just suggestion.
    But by the by you're very welcome. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a separate COW thread now just for this specific kind of discussion, which chaosrocks I had already started a discussion about this kind of thing in that thread. Use that thread so we dont fill up the COW topic threads with this stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I removed all the wasteful posts. sorry to get in the way
    chaos

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.