Thanks

Aaahhhh! My computer died!!!

So...I turn on my computer, check some email, look at the image I stayed up too late working on to make sure I didn't mess it up while in my late-night stupor, and then get up to make my tea. When I sit back down a few minutes later it looks like my computer went to sleep. I nudge the mouse and wait, nothing. I repeat this step as well as some button pushing and Ctrl-Alt-Deleting, and nothing again. I look down and the cpu light is on, but nothing happens. I push the dreaded restart button out of desperation. Nothing. I finally turn off the power strip, turn it back on and nothing at all.

Has this happened to anyone else? I believe it's my PSU. At least I'm hoping.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    is your computer active at all when you turn it back on?
    perhaps you just cant see it?

this isn't going to sound real scientific...
    but take it all apart and put it back together.
    i swear, that works more than 50% of the time.
    usually, something just got nudged, loosened, or crossed.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    maybe it's your monitor? Since the computer is still up and running and you see nothing on the screen. Check to see if your monitor cord is loose?
    [B]Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    well, PSU or...could be anything.. really..
    firstly, make sure..all cables and stuff are plugged in! (I know I know, but really sometimes you just miss some..)
    then open your case up and check if you can see some sort of light from your motherboard. Before you even switch on, your motherboard should have a small light somewhere indicating it's got power.

If not, you should try just swapping the power sup if you have a spare. Like you said most likely the power sup as they do tend to die rather quick.

Thanks
    power supply

Thanks
    Thanks for the input everybody. I'm headed back home now to try a spare PSU I borrowed. Hopefully it'll get the job done. If it's not that, well then I guess I'll be spending the night ripping (carefully that is) everything out and testing it all.

Thanks
    Try what DSIllustration suggested. A long time ago, before I knew much about computers, my screen went blank. I thought for an entire week that the cable on the monitor was broken, so I kept trying to unplug it, plug it back in, etc... Almost went out and bought a new monitor. Then I was like screw this; I took it apart, and saw that the video card (didn't know about it) was slightly sticking out, almost so you wouldn't really notice it. I pushed it back in and you can guess what happened. I still have that old monitor too.

Another time, I was trying to install XP on it. It just wouldn't work because it kept freezing at the same exact point every snigle time. After about five tries, I took it apart, put it back together, and installation went smoothly.

Thanks
    it's totally the power supply, this has happened to me 3 times

Thanks
    Power suply gets hammered all the time if you don't have a voltage regulator. They're the first ones in line and take the brunt of it...

Thanks
    Alright...bad news. It's NOT the power supply. I tested it every which way I could, and nothing. I noticed the CPU fan would twitch when I hit the power button, but that was it. Also I noticed the red light on my ethernet adaptor was blinking. But the system wouldn't come on. I checked all the components, and ram. I checked the Power on and reset switches. I used a different PSU. So I guess that leaves the CPU or the Motherboard. So, if anyone has any other advice I'd appreciate it.