Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AvatarJimmy's sketchbook-update April 4th

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Jimmy,

Great job on your latest update.
    I'm looking for something constructive to say about this one...
    Kinda hard cause I really like this one.
    I dunno if your gonna continue working on it or not, but if you do I'd suggest adding some more contrast to the values.
    I'd also define the waist area of her dress a bit more.

But honostly, I really like this last update, it has a great feel to it.
    Good job!

The forest fight for sunlight, that takes root in every tree.
    -genesis
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the pose! I think the anatomy part too of her hip/stomach area could be more defined... The hip bone should probably be somehow visible and the smooth curves on the contours just don't look natural to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Hypronost-Thanks man. I kinda like this drawing, so maybe I will look into fixing the waist and tidying it up.
    @Smuli-Thanks, sounds like the hip area was a problem for both of you, so I'll work on trying to define that better.

Just some life drawing for today.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good update, i like these.The lines look great in the last one especially.
    I bet these are gonna be really useful

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely life drawings! Some of the shins look a bit sturdy to me but don't know if I've just been drawing extremely thin ones then...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoah man, theese are way above the rest of your work. I hope to see some of the knowledge gained from lifedrawing incooperated in to your imagination work.

Keep it up.

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, there! thanks for stopping by at my little book. great sketches here, i really enjoy your last life drawings (especially the last one) and your hand studies. the animation you posted is lovely, any chance to see some more?
    cheers

stine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow....... Love the life drawings......Last one is supercool...... and I like that marker sketch above the comic book. the comic is coming aout quite cool...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i don't know if this been pointed out but beware of the dead arms (the ones that just hangs there) i know i'm not the guy to tell someone else that, but i'm trying to kick myself as soon as i'm doing it

someone said that the hands are a actors counterpart...

especially for you as you want to be a animator!

cheers and keep at it!!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÍRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @TheGnoll-Thanks man, I hope so.
    @Smuli-Thanks, the model did have slightly... bulky legs/shins (but don't tell her that) so I think they're pretty accurate though I do also sometimes like the style of more plump legs in some of my work from my head.
    @n0fish-thanks, I'm trying hard to incorporate everything I'm learning from you guys along with my own studies, now if only I had a magic wand to make it work perfectly every time .
    @Stine-Thanks, some more animation for you today, and I'll try to update it fairly regularly here since it is taking up most of my time these days.
    @arya-Thank you.
    @Hurricane-Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. I smacked myself in the head when I read your post, I can't believe I overlooked something so simple, I've been spending all this time trying to get my characters to act as they move, but never gave much of a thought to it in my still drawings.... so basically I'm an idiot and will be changing the way I think about drawing characters. Thanks very much for the advice.

OK, so just to prove I've been doing something here is another (incredibly rough) pencil test of the animation project I'm working on. I know video clips are a bit of a rarity on CA, so if you don't have any comments, I understand, they are of course welcome as always if you do have suggestions

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the life studies are lovely, no porportion promblems that I can see. I really have no clue what pencil tests need to convey so I'm just going to say A) the little kid running was the most fluid part the rest seemed jumpy, but of course if it is an equivialnt to just a sketch, that may not even matter. and B) oooooooh moving pictures!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @octopus_interphone-hehe, yeah moving pictures . Well, the purpose of these early pencil tests is to make sure that poses and timing are working, the fluidity comes next. Mostly I'm trying to focus on conveying some emotions with the mother and daughter right now. thanks for taking the time to look

Well, a pencil sketch for tonight, a little smaller than I was originally thinking so some of the details got lost... but oh well.

C&C very welcome.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely animation! i think you caught the emotions really well. especially the transitions between different sensations. great work.
    last sketch is really cool, too. caught the moment, i think. the only thing i would crit is that it's a little "overdone". too many lines. well, i'm doing this myself and get it told all the time, so maybe i'm just a little hypersensitive...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that some really nice life drawings, way better than the rest of your work O_O!!!

The animation is lovely, great flow, only wish the drawing itself was a little cleaner, maybe you can clean up each cell in photoshop by changing the leveles a little bit .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry, blatantly i forgot to post
    anyway great stuff, a lot of improvement in the pencils, and thanks for the comments in my sb
    Maybe use some inks for the outline, would look awesome, keep up the work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like the last update! There's some very minor things bothering me, like the gradparent's back could maybe have more arch and the jacket hangs weirdly under his right shoulder but he really has tons of character. That's what makes a good animator I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey AvatarJimmy thanks for posting in my sketchbook you've made alot of progress and you are still on the first page i really like your most recent work its great story telling on more than just one level. You've got good gesture which is very nice keep it up. Keep drawing from life and you will definitely improve quickly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last sketch has character, fold in grandpas shirt look a little off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi mate! I've just seen your last works, they're quite nice, life drawings are ok , and I like your monochromatic work in the comic.
    Since you seems to have great skills I'd tell you to try to go further with your drawings. You did a first attempt to color with the smoking girl, don't you?

Why don't you try another colour work? And you could do more of these marker sketches, and see what result you can afford when working with values...
    I see great potential, keep up the work!

See u

Davide

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so had some things going on and haven't been able to update this for a little bit, but hopefully I'll be getting back to a more regular schedule again.
    @stine-Thanks, I'll work on not overworking the drawings... soon since this update still feels pretty overworked to me.
    @Shamagim-Thanks, I'll be working on cleaning up the animation quite a bit, right now its very rough and made worse by the video codec. I'll post an update when its easier to see.
    @smuli-I'll work on the fabric, theres tons of things I see wrong with that drawing, but it was more about trying to tell a "story" in one image, so I'm moderately happy with it.
    @ashrum-Thanks, I will.
    @octopus_interphone-Yep, gonna have to do some drapery studies.
    @davidefabrizzi-Thanks, I was thinking about doing some more color and value work soon, I've been doing a lot of studying of different color palletes so hopefully I'll be posting that soon.

Ok, so heres a couple of sloppy drawings from my sketchbook, hoping to put some more polished work in here soon.

Crits and Comments always appreciated.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the grandpa and lil girl one, very expressive.You're starting to get some good basic figure construction, and some good gestures.It would be nice to see a finished version of these, so practice with color once in a while.You still have some anatomy issues here and there so keep practicing, sorry for not posting comments but you're doing great, keep at it!

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @TheGnoll-Thanks, I'll keep at it, and trying to build to more finished work.
    Alright well, here is some life drawing that I did recently.

And this is a quick pencil sketch from ref that I'm gonna try out some color techniques on. I'll post those in a day or two.

Crits and comments welcome.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your lfe drawing has improved a TON since the beginning of this thread, and those improvements are really starting to show up in your non-life-drawing sketches. Keep on doin what you're doin, and always push them limits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those life drawings are looking great keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice life drawing, you have a nice style. I think you should try adding some darker tones, it will really bring your pictures to life. Try to avoid "hairy shading" also. But yeah, looking good! keep it up..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    again, very good stuff, you're improving quickly, i like those last pics.How much mtime did these take?
    anyway, i'll wait for the color tries, keep it up!

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're starting to be quite confident with the proportions it seems. The first pic's figures' legs seem a bit short but short people have short legs so no use arguing with your reference I guess. I like the effective plane shading in the portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ferg & Desperate Cuban- Thanks
    @Spade- Thanks, and I was just thinking I needed to get some softer leaded pencils, not sure where all my old ones went....
    @TheGnoll-Thanks man, really appreciate all of the SSG comments its helping to motivate me. The life drawing started with 1-2 min gestures and I think the later ones ranged anywhere from 15-25 minutes. Now if only I could find the time to just go out and draw people from life.
    @smuli-Thanks, I wouldn't stand 100% by all of my proportions in the quick drawings, I got to the session a little late so I didn't feel properly "warmed up" but I think they're nearly accurate. I'll keep watching the way I draw legs to make sure I'm capturing the model properly.

Well, I'm not sure how much time I'll have to post in the next few days, so I thought I'd post these works in progress of playing with skin tones. They still need a lot of polishing, but they were starting to look something like what I was going for.
    So the first one is a bit stylized with pretty cool colors.

and the second one is a bit more natural with warmer tones.

funny that they both look alright on their own, but when they're next to each other its obvious just how different the colors are. Anyway, crits are welcome. I'll be trying to finish these up as well as playing with some different painting methods.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they look like useful studies.About the first ones, the eyes lack the contast they had in the penciled version, and the neck shadow is still too rough, and the hair (but i guess its still WIP, so its ok), abou the second one, mesh colours and lines toghether in the same layer and try working "above" the lines, using he previous pencil rendering just as a reference.Smack the basic colours in, then try and softly smoothing it up.Just my 2 cents

keep it up

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey those are looking cool, how long they take you? you built up some nice layers there, im liking the stylized one. good stuff!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.