Sketchbook: AvatarJimmy's sketchbook-update April 4th

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

AvatarJimmy's sketchbook-update April 4th

Well, I haven't posted here in forever. Working super long hours doing dull manual labor kind of killed my conceptart time. But no longer! I'm back in school and hoping to continue to expand my drawing skills while searching for a job in the animation industry.
    These will mostly be pages straight from my sketchbook with a lot of pretty rough drawings and some occasional ones that are more finished. Any crits or comments are greatly appreciated.

-Anthony

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AvatarJimmy; April 5th, 2007 at 02:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some Life Drawing from a session yesterday. A few gestures and some 30-45 min poses. Any crits welcome.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Random drawings from my sketchbook yesterday. All comments welcome.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple more random doodles from my sketchbook.
    And this is what happens when I have my sketchbook around other people who ask what a turkey would look like with large breasts....
    Crits? Comments? Anyone?

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthony, you rock my socks! I'm gonna save all of these. I particularly like the squat double-sword creature and the spear-wielding barbarian. You also draw more lovlier women than I can yet, you're inspiring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice concept art...... These characters have very nice gestures......Really wanna see more of these.....please keep posting buddy......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments guys. As soon as I get a spare minute I'll post some comments in your sb's.
    Small update today. I was working so just had a little time tonight to crank out a few drawings.
    Some concepts for a female character in a short comic I'm starting.
    This is my first colortest Pretty obvious that I need to do some more research and find some reference material. Still any help with color in a night/rainy scene would be appreciated.
    Any crits or comments are appreciated.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice SB, a good start i would say, just keep it up, i can see all your mayor issues getting solved with just some more anatomy studys.

About color, i would stay in monocrome if I were you, is important to develop strong sense of values first .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    since you want to do animation, do you have any that you could show, i really wanna see what you can do.
    Very stylish and interesting, keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The latest colour test of yours shows that you need to improve your general knowledge. In order to draw a good face without reference, you need to know the bone structure, the anatomy and on top on that, you need to know how the light shapes the head and the other objects from different angles. Being able to do stylized stuff is cool, but without knowledge on the nature of your subjects, your drawing will come out unnessesarily weak.

Looking foward to see some animations, tho.

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shamagim- Yeah, I would agree with you on both counts. Its been a while now since I left school and I feel like my drawing skills really suffered (I spent more time doing stuff in 3d). I'll be studying anatomy a lot more in the coming months and the study of value is a good suggestion too.
    blanquish- I have some older animation on my website http://www.artbyanthonyp.com/animation.html. These are a little old, but I am just starting to do some pencil tests on a current project so I'll be posting some of that soon.
    n0fish- The anatomy point is well taken. I'll add some anatomy studies to my routine as I'm feeling particularly weak on faces and hands. I've seen how much improvement you've gained from your studies too so I think I'll get started on that right away.

So, looking at that colortest now that its not late at night I can see just how poor it is, not only color wise, but also me trying to attempt a style I don't really know without doing any proper studies of it. So I spent some time studying muted night/rain colors and this is what I came up with. Also changed the character design to more closely resemble my animation background. The hand is still weak and the colors aren't quite there yet, but I'm hoping its an improvement.
    Crits and comments always welcome

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the palette of the last painting. Has some nice personality too. I think that darker shadows in some places could look good though and the shadings could be more defined of course. But it's a huge improvement.

I like your pencil sketches a lot, the poses have some nice rhythm and you have the 3d forms very well under control. That's something I struggle in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff, great sketches.The gesture drawing are great.About the digi colouring, get some ref and start doing some copies, without color picking.Syudy lightning, first concetrate on colour, the texture will come later.And, mst of all keep practicing (i don't, and that's bad)

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, just had time for some quick sketches today. Thought I'd do some gestures of hands. Most were done in a minute or so each, the last one was a few more.
    And this one's a layout for a scene in the animation project I'm working on.
    As always C&C welcome.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your most recent colouring is a great improvement, mostly because the tones don't go from black to super saturated purple. It looks like you slapped a oddly textured grey pattern on top of the whole image and that is a little distracting. the whole thing looks a lot more unified than the last one and your colours are getting better, keep it up

good hand studies, though some of the fingers looks a little wide, like the ring finger on the last hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hand sketches have good construction but the proportions look odd. Thumbs look ok but shouldn't the other fingers be much longer and taper more towards the end? Really like the free sketching style though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice gesture drawings dude! About the colour stuff, the second one is damn better then the first, nice palette, a more attractive character, a good style...they seems to have been done by two different persons!
    I'm liking your hand studies as well. I don't think I'd be able to do those sketches in a minute. Also the perspective one is nice, u have good understanding of spaces. Keep posting man, see u

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hands look quite good, very fast and effective.Agree with smuli about the thumb tho.About the scene sketch, there's something wrong in the leftmost part of the house on the right, check out the perspective.I don't like the garden right in front, it looks a bit too cartoony (but maybe that's what you're after )

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Octopus_interphone-Thx. You're right about the texture, I was playing around with some things and forgot to delete that layer, oops. As for the hands I'm thinking the major problem is that I didn't properly define the top and side planes of the fingers so it makes some of them look too large. I also have stubby fingers, hehe.
    @Smuli-I think that I'll have to spend some time studying different hand types as opposed to just my own. Hopefully that will help me get a better range of proper proportions. Thx for the crit.
    @davidefabrizzi-Thanks.
    @TheGnoll-I know which part you're talking about, and it this crazy overhang that was on the house I was drawing from, it doesn't look right to me either, but I triple checked it and I'm pretty sure it is indeed accurate, if not all that clear. Lucky for me, in the final scene there is a School bus parked right in front of this, so it won't be visible anyway . I agree about the garden in front(feels too bare to me), not quite sure what direction I want to go to change it though...

Well, I worked all day and into the night yesterday, so no energy to post then, and I've spent today animating. Since I probably won't sit down to draw something just to draw, I figured I'd show my work in progress scene. I don't see a lot of animation on this site, so I feel like I should give a brief explanation as to what stage in the process this is. As a pencil test, there are frames missing which is why the movement isn't always smooth. The drawings are also really rough and sometimes inaccurate. Mainly what I'm trying to develop at this point is proper timing and expression. Ok, now to set up the scene. This little girl has just arrived home from school and has just run into the house to hug her mother. In this scene she is supposed to stop and notice that her mom has a worried expression on her face.
    http://www.artbyanthonyp.com/sketchb...penciltest.mov
    All that setup for a 4 second clip, hehe.
    C&C welcome.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can honestly say that the secon coloring attempt is better.

BTW nice hand studies, i can see from the previous pics that is something that is going to nice to improve.

(sorry, to late...too tired..I´ll check the movie clip tomorrow XD)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much homework, so little time. Oh well, heres a quick marker sketch.
    c&c welcome

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the creases could be better (seems like you only place them in the joint places but when the clothes are as loose as those seem to be I think there should be more folds elsewhere) and I think the ribcage would appear thicker from the chest's side in that kind of pose. But if you got those contours right on the first go, great work on them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lolls quite good, but quite flat too.Don't like the sword deigns tho.But quite good for a fast losse sketch, keep up the good work!

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, well I've been working on this short comic for a zine that some classmates are putting together. My due date got moved up two weeks on me, so its not really the finished product that I was hoping for, but maybe it'll still be entertaining.

@TheGnoll-Thx. I feel it is too flat too, not really very happy with this work, I think it is showing me that I need to start doing more finished drawings again since my rendering skills have gotten quite weak.
    @smuli-Yeah, I agree about the chest and clothing. The chest I noticed but it is difficult to change in pen and I was too lazy to start over. As for the clothing I think I will need to do some more dedicated clothing studies. Ahh so much to improve.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps some panels at the early side could've been brushed up further but the style is uniform and I like it. Nice expressions and the hands look great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the tones on your marker guy, though the sword with the barb on the end is a little odd

your comic flows well and is consistant which is good, on the last page at the top you may want to make the fire brighter to make it look more fire-like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely sketches.
    Really like the comic/female sketches. Great job.
    I think the comic your working on needs a li'll cleaning up though.
    It's kind of hazy.

Keep posting your stuff mate!

The forest fight for sunlight, that takes root in every tree.
    -genesis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good storytelling, i like it.But you shoud definately work on polishing i t real clean.Then, onece you've made it really clean, you can dity it and add haze, rain or whatever to it.Maybe There's too much white space in some pages.Again, refine the anatomy if you wanna make it look more realistic, refine it anyway AND clean it if you wanna make it cartoony but i would have made it more realistic too add some "pulp" feeling to it (you know, more dark areas, more contrast, sot of sin city style)
    anyway, keep it up, good storytelling is one of the best starting points for a good comic.

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice comic, all though it could be better if you put some more contrast, like TheGnoll said. Be ware of the pages with simetric and aligned panels, they tend to make the scene itself look to plane and boring some times.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Smuli- Thanks. I agree about the early panels (and actually the whole thing) Because my deadline got pushed up, I kind of think of this as a rough draft, hopefully I will find the time to polish the whole thing later (and maybe color it as my skills improve)
    @octopus-interphone-Thanks, hehe I agree about the sword with the barb on it (it looked so much different in my head) but thats the beauty of improper planning and pens. wow, that fire really is dull... the things you miss when you're in a rush. I'll be sure to fix that.
    @Hypronost-Thanks, I hope to have time to polish the comic up, its still pretty rough around the edges, but hopefully it reads well enough.
    @TheGnoll-Thanks for the suggestions. I think the whole thing needs some cleaning up, and some higher contrast could definitely add something to some of the scenes.
    @Shamagin-Thanks, I'll watch out for the symmetry, still experimenting with the different layouts (as I've hardly ever read any comics myself, this area is a little tough for me)

Ok, Pencil sketch tonight. C&C welcome.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.