Thanks

Operating Systems + Art

I am kind of tired of windows, I would like to try OS X but I don't feel like running emulation, and I don't have the money to buy a Mac. So I am wondering if there are any other Free, Opensource OS's that are good for doing digital art on.
    "I can do it." Todd Downey said as he helped himself to another ear of corn from the steming bowl. Soon her death will be a mystery, even to me. -- Stephen King, 'Secret Window, Secret Garden'

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you go with Linux your program selection will be limited, but you can still make fine art if you have the skill. Windows or a Mac are your best bets, it's jus ta matter of preference. Hell, you could get one of the new macs and run both OSX and Windows, which is what I'd do if for someone reason I was forced into using a mac.

But until you have the money, youre either stuck with what you have or you can get Linux.

Thanks
    I've been running Debian for 4-5 years now and i absolutely love it, but its learning curve will throw you off. 8)
    If i was going to recommend one for you to start on Ubuntu is good for beginners and is Debian based.
    Now if this concern hasn't been raised, while you can run Windows applications under linux using Wine (or for the more recent games, Cedega), you'd be no better off and so i'd recommend you get orientated with the free alternatives available.
    If you're stuck on any specific tool, don't bother switching to linux.

Now on to the free alternatives, a good free substitute for Photoshop would be The GIMP.
    Illustrator there's a nice free SVG editor called Inkscape.
    3D you got the amazing but initially difficult to learn Blender.
    Microsoft Office, there's OpenOffice.
    Internet Explorer, Firefox.
    Nero, K3B.

There's thousands of great free applications at your disposal, and the beauty of Debian and Ubuntu is that you feed those names into a program called Synaptic (GUI for APT) it'll automagically download and install them for you.

If you got any questions feel free to ask them in here, i'll be happy to answer you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffy
    I am kind of tired of windows...
    Why are you tired of Windows? If you don't like the looks, there are plenty of programs that will help you make it look and work a bit differently. WindowBlinds is pretty neat. ObjectDock gives you an OSX-like dock in Windows. Just look around and you will find stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sciboy
    Microsoft Office, there's OpenOffice.
    Yes, but from my experience it's horrible. If you have a real (as in: legal) version of Office, you probably don't want to replace it with OpenOffice.

Quote Originally Posted by sciboy
    Internet Explorer, Firefox.
    Or, even better, Opera.

Thanks
    A few years back I used to be big into programming, hardware, *nix and what not. Windows has been great, I have no problems with it I just want a change. I guess I am really just bored right now and would like to do something different. I am thinking of installing OpenSuse, anyone familier with that? As for art programs, I have no problems learning a new one, I was just wondering what would be recommended so I am not stuck with nothing.
    "I can do it." Todd Downey said as he helped himself to another ear of corn from the steming bowl. Soon her death will be a mystery, even to me. -- Stephen King, 'Secret Window, Secret Garden'

Thanks
    I see. Sorry, I'm not. Gentoo is probably most popular among my friends, and it seems to be ok (I've tried it, but I don't have much use for Linux).