Alien Savannah
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Alien Savannah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alien Savannah

This creature is my first attempt at fur, but i'm reasonably happy with that. What I need advice on is the backgound and grass/clay etc.

I have, basically, no idea of technique regarding grass/ground. Any tips?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really good so far Nice sinewy flesh and alien feel.

There's something that's throwing me off about the perspective though. The little stream looks like it's a river viewed from far away, and the rest of the background (the 'mountains' I guess) make it seem like the alien is HUGE.

No real tips I guess, I'm not very good at environmental stuff, but right now the grass is the only thing that keeps the alien from appearing to be 200 feet tall (at least in my eyes)

Great job and happy painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why are you worrying about the grass?
    It looks great how it is.

Seriously, I like it. Its the sky that looks too empty... Sort that out. But the creature and ground look really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, the creature looks great. Like the guy above say why are you worrying about the grass?

I have to agree that because the river look small, make your creature looks HUGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now now, he worries because he cares. If you want good ground, practice ground. Snap some mundane photos and paint em. See what you think. Or, post them and see what we think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this.

You want some tips about the ground? Maybe you should put in more values. Put some red in it. There are often lots of different colors in the ground. Add some small rocks or pebbles. Maybe you can make it more purple/blue towards the horizon to give it a bit more depth.
    Think it would help if you take away the water in the front. Let the river flow totally from right to left. The suggestion is already there that it does flow that way. Without the water in front you take away the illusion that the alien is 200 feeth tall. Make a dry bedding of it. Maybe add something we can relate to in that bedding just to give us a clue about the size of the alien. A animal skull, a lizard, whatever you want.
    The sky does need some clouds or just value difference between the upper part of the sky and the lower part. (high more hellish blue, low more towards white) Add some purple in the sky (I love purple).

It is a nice concept you made. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a little update:

Just roughing in more details now, got rid of the river too. Going to start painting in the grass trees [the blobs on the horizon], then tackle clouds. Crits needed, something seems missing.

I might get rid of the stream, replace it with a log or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your creature is so interesting to look at. I find myself analyzing it wondering what it's skeleton would look like or even if it could fly. It doesn't look like it could. I'm still not sure about the scale of the creature though. The rocks indicate that it is a rather large species and yet the cacti look like the kind I'm used to seeing which are rather small. So the creature is ??? big? small?

* Just learning the tricks of the trade *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by splashmango
    Your creature is so interesting to look at. I find myself analyzing it wondering what it's skeleton would look like or even if it could fly. It doesn't look like it could. I'm still not sure about the scale of the creature though. The rocks indicate that it is a rather large species and yet the cacti look like the kind I'm used to seeing which are rather small. So the creature is ??? big? small?
    Ok, heres the basics: The creature is about 3 or 4 ft tall, and it can't fly: when the painting is finnished, the 'wings' with hold taught lines of silk: These are used like lassos to trip prey they are chasing.

I think the entire stream idea will have to go, it confuses the scaling, as you said.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow dudy i realy like this creature. Well done with the fur, could be a chalenge for me too, never realy fixed that. Nice to see u also like to be creative with aliens etc Always cool to look at for a while
    The shadows and the new plants/ trees are great, i also like how the shadow is casted. The whole images got a nice atmosphere/ feel in it, also couse of the perspective point i think.

As for the crits, i don't know if u keep the sky like that? I think it would be cool to make it more alien kind of. Now it's almost just on earth or something, exept for the asteriod thing in the sky ofcourse. The grass on the foreground could be a bit blurred maybe, to give the image some more depth? don't know..
    And maybe an idea to put some more creatures in the back (same sort) like they are in groups hunting or something.

Well keep it up, this one rocks!

Last edited by JeroArt; April 29th, 2006 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it. The sky is good IMO. Maybe make it look a bit more hazy tho. Check out some savannah hazy skies.
    I suggest making the rocks a bit bigger. If the creature is 3-4 ft. tall then it might benefit if the rocks come up to knee height. Maybe enlarge the cactus, alter its perspective to show height, but check the average growth height of that type of cactus. It may be a good choice or a bad one. Also Id say move the cactus cause at a glance it looks as if the creature is holding it with its tail. As for the grass it looks good but I agree with Xavvaniv about adding subtle colors, and I'd make the blades in the foreground out of focus.
    Overall, great job and interesting concept.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons because, to them, you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update, painted in some hills, sorting out the scaling. Any other ideas/crits?

Last edited by Reality Forge; May 1st, 2006 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ha! This is the first time I noticed the 'space-potato' in the upper left. Nice unique (and rather subtle) touch

The clouds are looking pretty good, but adding them seems to really drag the composition to the right. While the alien's direction helps bring us back to the left, I don't know if it's enough to balance it out.

My suggestion would be to fool around with the opacity/size of the clouds a bit to try and even things out.

Oh, and those mountains are a really nice addition, really makes the landscape feel genuine.

Great work and happy painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This might help your scale situation. You can add a recognizable object in the background. ex. half buried tire or cup or...whatever. Make sure that it is scalable to the size of the creature so that it can offer your audience a point of reference. You can be very subtle about it like putting it near a footprint or something. Just a thought! Going well though!

* Just learning the tricks of the trade *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overhauled the ground. This is the last update before I put up the final. Might redraw the arm things... Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fantastic painting!

little hits of warm tones on the fur (from solar rays) would make the creater stand out a bit more. also more blue (or other color) in the shadow of the creature.

You want me to be super picky? I would either make the atmosphere look less like Earth's, or get rid of the space potato.

The atmosphere looks so close to Earth's atmosphere, that my mind applies the rules of physics from the real world, and tells me something the shape of the "space potato" cannot exist for long in that location. If it were a distant object visible through the atmosphere by sheer size alone, the forces on a shape like that would turn it molten, and form it into a sphere.

If it's not such a large object, then the atmosphere has a low eccentricity, meaning you would also see stars and other objects.

Or it could mean it's falling. Either way, it bothered me a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    only one crit: photshop grass brush = a watery grave, other than that the picture looks great

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.