Struggling new artist
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Struggling new artist

I have told myself many times that I would stick with drawing when I picked it back up again. I have always enjoyed drawing as a kid and even attended some art class over the summer a while back...too long ago to remember anything. But my motivation comes and goes, and each day it is something different. I want to hold a continous desire to learn and draw, but it seems as though I get nowhere. Each day when I would get done "practicing"...I would feel as though I had accomplished nothing and wasnt any better of an artist than I was before I first picked up my pencil. It felt as though I was just copying a picture that I had been told would help me improve something or another. Mabye its just that I dont know where to start or the best ways of progressing, but whatever it is, I hope that someone here can give me some direction and set me off on the right path. Thanks.

“When others demand that we become the people they want us to be, they force us to destroy the person we really are. It's a subtle kind of murder. The most loving parents and relatives commit this murder with smiles on their faces.”
    - Jim Morrison
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your question sounds more existential than technical.
    Two good places to start...
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66451
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=835169

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My advice

To start: get yourself some artist instruction books - Burns Hogarth, George Bridgman, Loomis (like everyone else has). Book yourself on some life drawing courses/painting courses. One after the other, or fit two in a week! Combine drawing from instruction books with drawing the figure.Get good ref material to draw from (something like virtual pose). Get art books, sculpture books by Masters and learn from their technique by drawing from them.

Go to museums and galleries and draw! Go to exhibitions (any) and be inspired by what you see, collect books, images of what inspires you. Finding inspiration should really motivate you.

When you draw really think about what you are doing.
    -measurement, proportion
    -form, shape,
    -negative spaces!

Drawing is the only way to improve, stop thinking about it and questioning your abilities. With improvement you become your best crit. It's hard work, progress takes a long time. Just keep at it!

Last edited by Alcian; April 26th, 2006 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MainEvent
    Each day when I would get done "practicing"...I would feel as though I had accomplished nothing and wasnt any better of an artist than I was before I first picked up my pencil.
    No fucking shit! IT'S ONE DAY. Not quite sure what you'd expect.

Hell, I sometimes draw and feel like I've regressed a year or two, but that's bullshit. In the long run, I improve, and that's what's important, and that's what I pay attention to. Not the obvious lack of improvement from day to day.

Stop psyching yourself out and draw. If it comes out like shit, draw some more shit. If it comes out mediocre, then draw some more mediocre crap. The important point is that "mediocre" of now is the "fucking awesome" of a year ago. As long as you see that trend, then it's all good.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Improvement in the arts is measured in years. Maybe months if you're extremely hard-working and gifted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If your motivation and desire comes and goes it sounds like you don't have any empowering goals with what you're doing. To get general nobody is lazy they just have impotent goals.

To get metaphysical, motivation is all about purpose and the why you are doing something. Example: to carry a 40kg bag of sand across town sounds pretty cumbersome, useless and boring right? But if that bag of sand is instead say your little sister bleeding to death you carry her weight pretty swiftly without much thinking because the why is greater than the what you are doing.

I might be swaying offtopic here but my advice is work on what you want to do with your art, ask yourself why are you drawing? What is the unique contribution that you want to make? Think about it every day and sooner or later it'll come, and set up goals that empower you just by thinking about them that is the key imo.

Copying pictures doesn't sound like much fun because there is no real LIFE in pictures. IMO drawing is about experiencing the thing you draw, like in figure drawing you experience the weight and tilt of the model and feel it out on paper. Afterwards you feel richer because you experienced something new. Copying a picture is dead energy. That's probably why you feel empty afterwards and you feel like no progress has been made, you didn't have an experience drawing the object.

Ofcouse, there's nothing "wrong" with studying pictures it is quite useful. But put your main focus in drawing from life and your imagination and it will be so much more rewarding in every way.

/2c

Last edited by ngnorden; April 27th, 2006 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dfacto
    The important point is that "mediocre" of now is the "fucking awesome" of a year ago. As long as you see that trend, then it's all good.
    Quoted for absolute truth.

I never ever notice myself progress until I look at my stuff from a year ago and INSTANTLY see an improvement. If your stuff from a year ago looks the same as your stuff does now, then you ARE doing something wrong.

I forget who said it, but "Don't just see, observe." Don't just see a line and draw it, notice why that line is curved, where it is, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somehow I do understand what you say, because I felt empty when drawing for a while. No inspiration, everything you draw looks like crap, and you don't have the feeling you can actually accomplish something. So I asked myself why do I draw. Why do I want to keep myself in this vicious cycle of drawing stuff I don't like, then feeling empty and bad about that, and try to draw stuff that comes out like crap aswell, feeling bad about that, etc.

I hope you get my meaning. It's just pretty useless to keep pushing yourself to do things that eventually have no meaning to you. A thing I did was thinking about why I draw, why I want to get better. And then ask what do you want to do. Set a purpose for yourself, like 'now I'm going to focus on drawing heads'. And when that interest is gone, or you feel you kind of reached the goal, move on to the next thing. But don't ask too much of yourself, seriously that doesn't work =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.