Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    I suppose that when your learning a language you have to learn the words and phrases and how to string them together in a way that makes sense to someone else.
    So with art you have to learn how to say something visually with technique and practice but its what you say that counts.
    Awesome advice guys, Thank you very much.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Djurdjevic
    Instead, I take the latest issue of VICE magazine, go take a shit, and read the newest DO's and DONT's. That will give me enough inspiration to come up with something that nobody else is expecting.
    The most inspirational thing I have heard in a while.

Thanks
    Marko, Hyperion, DS, MEP, and Bonedog - Thanks for the inspiring philosophy on learning and development.

Evil Sloth - Thanks for starting this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    And NO, taking inspiration from outside sources that have nothing to do with the work you're doing is never wrong or bland. It is the Spice that makes art fresh.
    I completely agree with you.

Only recently I've discovered, with the help of a highly creative friend, that ANYTHING can be a source of inspiration, like the high heel. Mailboxes, ceiling fans, chairs, apples, etc... it's all in how you look at them and utilize them in your designs. I now constantly look around when walking, looking for the next spaceship, creature, or fortress. This thought process has been a big help recently, and has lifted some of the frustration when I sketch.

- Rob

Thanks
    Some great insights here. Cheers

Thanks
    Good thread, and I agree with what has already been said.

I'll through in my two cents because I came from both sides of the coin. First, I was self taught, and then I went into formal training, and then I re-discoverd what was so exciting about learning on your own.
    I'ts awesome to have new and inovative designs up your sleeve, but if you lack the technical proficiency to communicate them, they are dead in the water.
    On the opposite side of that, like Marko said, polishing a shitty design will land you straight into a big pile of boring.
    So put emphesis on both.

I also think that it's OK to be inspired by genre pushers like Frazzeta and Jim Lee or whoever to learn from their designs and techniques as a steping stone to create something more spicy.
    Do not get trapped in immitation. Sit there for a little while if you have to, but if you're in there too long, you will drown.

Here is another way to grow.
    Be bored with what you designed last year.
    If you have been drawing that same wheel/buckle/face over and over again, there's something wrong, and you should figure out a way to not only improve upon the designs of those that have come before you, but to one up yourself and become more creative in the process.
    This way, growth is inevitable.

-JK

Thanks
    MAN i love this place.

i feel like i have fresh eyes my friends... in discovering new things i often forget the most simple and integral parts of art, and a few posts in here have reminded me why i love art so much.

Thanks
    Goddamn I love conceptart.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Funny thing is as im reading this... im considering sitting down and watching my Scott Robertson Gnomon DVD... (unique enviros)
    But know all the thoughts that run through my head are do i want.. im just mimicking someones work.. is that right?

The one way i can look at this is to say that itll help me think of new ways and painting and drawing (ie. from abstract shapes). if i try to stay away from the dvds ideas, but keeping them inmind.

Awesome posts though, im re-evaluating my art approach already.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks

eyes open?

Could this be copied into the Community Activities forum and made sticky? Or better yet the DSG!

The posts by Marko describe everything I always do wrong - and why my sketch book doesn't have anything in it.

Thanks for this, I'm going to print this out and use it for my sketchbookmark.
    [Always remember that if a topic seems uninteresting, then it's just because you are picturing a solution that lacks vigor.] - William b. Hand

Thanks
    Marko

The Vice advice is just too good... thanks a lot
    now I know what to do with my 3 feet high pile of Vice magazines

Now that s the kind of things you'll never learn in school

I also found this http://www.core77.com/resources/cards.asp as a good way to think differently

About ID, if you just want to design objects as a concept artist, I would suggest not to go spend tousand of dollars for a degree cause what I basically learned is what is possible to produce in the real world and what s not. I was never judged ONCE about the shape of my ideas, only on techincal aspects that you wont need just to draw unbelievable spaceships or vehicules.
    Go see your career conseiller, he will tell you exacly what ID is all about

Simon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PHATandy
    Funny thing is as im reading this... im considering sitting down and watching my Scott Robertson Gnomon DVD... (unique enviros)
    But know all the thoughts that run through my head are do i want.. im just mimicking someones work.. is that right?

The one way i can look at this is to say that itll help me think of new ways and painting and drawing (ie. from abstract shapes). if i try to stay away from the dvds ideas, but keeping them inmind.

Awesome posts though, im re-evaluating my art approach already.

don't let fear keep you from learning everything you can, i'd say.

Thanks
    You can just be a better you. You can't be Marko, you can try, but you will only be seen as someone who is trying to imitate someone else. People will respect you if you are being true to who you are and you are doing your own thing, not copying others. Just use your life experiences, but if you don't have any, go out and get some.

I don't have anything new to add really, I need to experience life more.

Question to Marko: Do you think you can succeed reaching a goal, even if it's not specific? I'm asking this because a lot of people today seem just to be wandering around saying "I want to be a doctor", "I want to be an artist" but instead they're just sitting in front of the TV, being nothing. I guess that's my biggest fear, that I won't have any goal later on in life.
    Last edited by Profil; April 26th, 2006 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    thank you guys for all the imput, i am enlightened!

Thanks
    great thread, thanks alot folks

cheers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Profil
    Question to Marko: Do you think you can succeed reaching a goal, even if it's not specific? I'm asking this because a lot of people today seem just to be wandering around saying "I want to be a doctor", "I want to be an artist" but instead they're just sitting in front of the TV, being nothing. I guess that's my biggest fear, that I won't have any goal later on in life.
    I'm not Marko, but yes, you can reach a slightly unspecific goal. Notice I use the qualifier "slightly". If you're wandering around saying "I want to be an artist", but all you really do is sit in front of the TV, than you're lying to yourself. You don't want to be an artist.

People are very simple and easy to understand creatures sometimes. When they want something, they do what it takes to get it. But everything we want comes at a cost. Sometimes we want our free time, our money and entertainment. Most goals require giving up some or all of those things at least a little bit. People who don't give those things up to achieve a goal are lying to themselves about how much they really want to achieve that goal. It's not worth giving up some free time, money or chuckles in front of the idiot box for them. They don't really want it as badly as they thought they did.

Their mistake is either not being realistic about what they have to do to succeed or they chose the wrong goal. They should've found something they wanted more and pursued it instead.

But that doesn't answer the question really. It's okay if your goals start out as kind of vague. "I want to be an artist" is okay ("I want to be a designer" is better ). When you're just starting out on a new path, you really don't know all of the different places it can lead to. You may say right now, "I want to do concept design for videogames." Then you enroll in an ID program somewhere and learn in the first couple of years that you really enjoy designing products, or furniture. You may take a graphic design course as an elective and discover that you love typography, and set out to become a world class type, logo and graphic designer.

Or you may find that you want to try a lot of different things over the course of your career.

You can start with a vague goal, but just make sure you don't leave it vague forever. At some point along the way you will narrow it down to a few possibilities rather than hundreds. You probably won't narrow it down beyond that (I hope not at least). You'll always be interested in other forms of design (or whatever). You'll always try your hand at other things once in a while, just to keep your mind fresh if nothing else. Your career may settle on one thing, but hopefully your side projects will always be diverse.
    Last edited by MEP; April 27th, 2006 at 12:42 AM.
    -------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast