Art: Street Photography

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Street Photography

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Street Photography

I find this very difficult. I really want to take some "street photography" (not literally on the street, but of people, in public), to try and get my photos on the cover of next year's college diary.

I need to get pictures of students being happy and studenty, and pictures to depict student life like that. The hard part is that I need to ask the permission of anyone whose picture i take, if i can use the photo for this diary cover. If it weren't for that, I could probably take some pictures inconspicuously enough. But if I have to ask, then they won't be natural in te picture, probably.

Does anyone have tips for street photography?

Also I saw a very interesting man who I would have liked to photograph, but he didn't look like the kind of man who wanted to be photographed. In fact, that's the main problem - most people don't look like they'd be happy if some weirdo with a camera came along and started taking pictures. I wouldn't.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My advice is snap first ask later. Technically you can take their picture without asking (legallly) but you need permission to use it for the viewbook thing, then you ask permission after shooting and jot down names and roll number (or whatever if you a digital camera) if they say yes or no, then you can also get their names.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To use a picture of somebody to be published, you would definatley have to ask them for permission. As for taking pictures of random people, its an issue of just getting over the awkward feeling and just snapping away. You will find most people dont notice, or care. If they do, you just politely tell them what you are doing. Also a nice telephoto or zoom is usefull, that way the majority of people wont even know you are photographing them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo you've got some good tips here already...I would say the more comfortable you are with it the less people will notice you.

Have you ever seen those guys who paste adds all over the city? They are not suppose to be doing what the're doing, but they do it anyway, in front of tons of people and they are confident about it so nobody even looks twice at them.

My 2cents but do whatever feels right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually you can snap a photo of anyone in a public place and it's legal(at least in the US). you could even go so far as to use it commercially without a release, so long as it's not to sell a product(usually stock agencies won't buy pictures of people without releases either, since they will in fact sell those pictures to companies trying to sell some kind of product).

but yea, mainly it takes getting over that awkward feeling and just snapping away. over time it should become second nature to line up the right lighting, composition etc.

if you don't feel comfortable at first you can always bring some of your own work with you and ask the people if you can photograph them, let them know what you're doing, etc. whichever way works best for you at the moment.

PS: if you need some inspiration on "street photography" look up Garry Winogrand. quite possibly one of the best street photographers of all time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, great advice. I will try to capture some photos tomorrow. I'll post them here if I succeed.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...s/street.shtml
    I also found this page helpful & motivational.

and this page
    http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_...he_Street.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a piece of advice:
    Hide behind something and shoot! (that's how snipers get their targets!)

Claude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oo im glad i stoped to look at this some great advice, when ppl see me they run! cause they know i always got my cam somewhere lol, and most times if u ask the person becomes how wud u say it uncomfortable in a sence. cause as they say the best pics r taken when ur not looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, exACTLY. surprise photos are always the best. and thats why photographers make you say things like 'dirty bottom love' or 'penis puller' just before they take a shot, so that you actually laugh, rather than pull a cheesy grin.

go mental! take photos of whoever (well maybe not of 10 foot bikies) but yeah, if people dont like it, just delete it on the spot for them.
    or just learn to run really fast

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i had a crazy crackhead take my camera from me once because i took his photo, i chased him down, kicked him in the back, sent him sprawling into the middle of the street, grabbed my camera, opened up the back, dropped the film on his face and walked away with my camera in perfect condition.
    but thats a worst case scenerio. i shouldn't have been taking pics of sleeping bums/crackheads in abandoned buildings. the worst part is, i'll never be able to get those shots again. i dont live in dallas anymore, and that abandoned school got torn down.

now i have a nikon D50, and im terrified of someone trying to take it, or me dropping it or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, wow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thats messed up, i have the same exact feer with my D50 and that im going to take a picture of the wrong person and get the sh*t kicked out of me and me camera broken/stolen although i am a bit happery on the camera front now as i got i insurured

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another option for you is to go to a local event like a church picnic, school fundraiser or other local event. Find the organizer of it, and ask if you can take pictures. I bet you'll get a yes 9 times out of 10. If they're not sure, offer to burn a cd of the images that you make. A) You'll get in for free and get to explore at your leisure, and more importantly, B) If anyone seems concerned, you can just say "so-and-so gave me permission" or "I'm taking pictures for so-and-so." (Of course, if the people still don't want their picture taken, then don't.)

If you're wanting to build up confidence, it's kind of like going to the zoo before trying to go out on safari. A great way to start getting comfortable around folks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i lashed out yesterday and just went for it. it was fun! i was dying to on the bus, but thats a bit harder to get up and run away. haha, oh well...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.