View Poll Results: Who is the one to be Spiderman's Sidekick?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chow 22 - Voting - Spiderman's Female Sidekick VampireHungerStrike

7 7.53%
  • Chow 22 - Voting - Spiderman's Female Sidekick cognition.sb

3 3.23%
  • Chow 22 - Voting - Spiderman's Female Sidekick young paddy1

9 9.68%
  • Chow 22 - Voting - Spiderman's Female Sidekick GratefullDread

1 1.08%
  • Chow 22 - Voting - Spiderman's Female Sidekick Sundance

0 0%
  • Chow 22 - Voting - Spiderman's Female Sidekick walnut

43 46.24%
  • Chow 22 - Voting - Spiderman's Female Sidekick bluelinesmoke

17 18.28%
  • Chow 22 - Voting - Spiderman's Female Sidekick Mitze

7 7.53%
  • Chow 22 - Voting - Spiderman's Female Sidekick meeatu

6 6.45%
    Thanks

Chow 22 - Voting - Spiderman's Female Sidekick

The ladies have lined up... and it's looking... sweet.
    Lots of kids in the mix and quite some entries that messed my brain - i looked for almost an hour thinking.. is it good enough for the vote or not.
    We'll probably change some rules here... but now... let's not forget about the ladies.
    Don't let them wait...

CLICK YOUR VOTE

Artist: VampireHungerStrike
    ------------------------------

Miss Muffet. Don't call her "little."

Artist: cognition.sb

Mantis Ma'am's special powers include a superhuman amount of patience, and the ability to scale vertical walls. She's armed with a fancy parasol, and has a tendancy to devour the heads of her mates.

She's also really good at doing the robot.

Artist: young paddy1

A recognised child genius Chloe Mane worked for her father's weapons development and research company. During a test of a machine affectionately known as 'Cuisineart for the Soul', the weapon went out of control killing four technicians and putting Chloe into a coma, with terrible internal injuries.

The doctors tested her brain activity and found that both halves of her brain were wholey separated by a pulse of energy during the test. Believing this to be the cause of the coma, and knowing that brain matter didn't regrow, the doctors could only offer an experimental treatment used to help seizure sufferers. Plethodontid Salamander Genes carried by an altered Herpes Simplex were introduced into her DNA. Now with a greatly increased healing factor her body fixed everything except the bridge between the two halves of her brain.

Over the next year Chloe (supposedly on an extended holiday) grew stronger, much stronger, her father turned his business over to making non lethal weapons and equipment for the police, private firms and the military, Chloe excelled more than before, capable of doing two wholly different tasks at once, she more than doubled her output of new designs, but needed something more. At night she would go free running, racing across the roofs of the city without a care in the world. When she stumbled upon a robbery in progress she couldn't help but intercede, it was quick, easy and more importantly fun, she wanted that rush again.

Using the company's equipment Chloe made herself a suit of chromoreactive fibre with her own patented gecko gloves and boots as well as a self stick bungie whip and two bft (blunt force trauma) guns that fired globs of air reactive/solid rubber projectiles. To finish it off she took a pair of multivision goggles and modified them to react to the wearers sight line.

The Chameleon was ready, but someone was watching and he didn't want her charging in without a clue...

Artist: Gratefull Dread

Sonar:
    Spidey's not one to have a sidekick for the most part. However, During a particularly ferocious battle with Venom, he and Spidey crashed through the roof of a Hell's Kitchen apt. The apt. belonged to Meghan Campbell and her parents. The Intense sonic shriek Meghan unleashed drove Venom into an uncontrolable rage. In the chaos both Meghan's parents were killed. Venom turned toward an unconcious Spidey to go in for the kill at which point Meghan unthinkingly threw herself at venom slapping at him relentlesly. Combined with her symbiote (sp?) disrupting shreiks (causing Venom intense pain) her individual cells began to fluctuate at such a rate that with every contact a smallsonic boom was unleashed driving the ferocious beast back with each blow. Spidey awoke just in time to see Meghan force venom back through the hole in the ceiling whence he came. Spidey being the guilt filled hero he is could not allow Meghan to go unguided. feeling responsible for the death of her parents he took this fledgling superpower under his wing and dubbed her Sonar. She has been a remarkable ally in battles against venom, although she still has much to learn about her powers and they occasionally fail her in intense situations. She is able to keep up with Spidey through the city by Vibrating her molecules fast enough to allow her using her staff to vault from building to building, she moves so fast she almost appears to fly. Her powers do have a few fall backs, for example, she requires much more energy than the average 13 year old due to her superfast metabolism. Which is why she carries specially formulated quick digesting protien and glucose tablets in capsules on her leg. She chose the color scheme and layout of her costume in homage to her mentor.
    I'm still new to digital painting and createdthe image way too large so it became a little pixelated when I shrank it down. some of the colors seem off as well. This is actually my first entry in an "OF the week" contest so crits are more than welcome. If anyone would like to see the pencils let me know I prefer them over the color to be quite honest. total about 6 hours.
    can anyone help me with a few techniques 2 give that really polished finished look?

Artist: Sundance

Artist: walnut

Err, She's calling herself Synergy, age 16, she's extraordinaly intelligent (way over Mensa level) and has psionic powers, such as levitation, telepathy and the ability to deliver psychic "stings". The suit she designed to enhance these feats and power herself up. While not possessing superhuman strength, she's still able to deliver Spidey from nasty situations with her wit and mind-tackling tricks. She actually outsmarts Spidey by a few lengths (hey sh's a woman right) but wouldn't dream of taking the glory. See, she reveres him like a god and in fact has a huge teenage crush on the webhead, though she'd die before admitting it.

Artist: bluelinesmoke

Melissa was always a tough girl. She grew up in a bad neighborhood and learned at an early age how to defend herself from people much bigger than she was. It wasn't untill her family was attacked by the Kingpins henchmen that she realised just how tough she really was. Never one to back down, she stood outnumbered and unarmed against a group of professional killers. Brave as she was, they were not afraid to attack a defenceless girl, and opened fire on Melissa, but the bullets did nothing. Not even so much as a bruise. Before she had realised why she still lived she lashed out at her attackers, doing enough damage to hospitalize four of the men. Her victory was short lived however, when the Kingpin and his men turned instead to Melissas parents, gunning them down in a hail of bullets.
    Alone and afraid, Melissa's thoughts turned only to revenge. She swore to avenge her parents deaths by killing the Kingpin. A chance encounter with spiderman however would change her life again. Something about Melissa struck a chord with Spidey and he decided to give her some guidance in dealing with her grief. Over time he managed to instill in her some of the ideas of power and responsibility that his uncle had tought him. In return, spiderman gained an important aly in the streets. Someone who could gain access to the places where neither he, nor his alter ego Peter Parker could.

Artist: Mitze

Lady Venom. A sidekick like Catwomen for batman she is not always on Spiderman’s side but there is a mutual attraction between them. She has no super powers but is extremely athletic and has little finger talons which each one has a different spider poison so she can paralyse all the ways up to killing.

Artist: meeatu

Loose Screw ... she's uptight very opposite of the peter parker. Problem is ... she has a very short temper. Lost her parents and legs at an early age. She consider Spidey as a her mentor. and ye they don't know eachothers real identity.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I voted for Walnut. Very nice loose rendering with a lot of energy.

Wish there were more...Posh...you teased me...

Thanks
    Blue got my vote. Mainly because there's something about that skin tone, clothing colors, and hair color that drives me nuts. Very soft, sweet, and cool.

Thanks
    Voted for walnut. Seems like a perfect character for the Spiderman world. Very nice work.

Cool perspective work, meeatu

Thanks
    VampireHungerStrike: Nice rendering, but can't really see Spidey running around with her
    Young Paddy: You get Kudos for a nice, well thought out background story. The Spiderman universe is always so science related. I think her eyes kind of wreck it for me.
    Walnut: You get my vote. Very nice. Seems to be the whole package, every part seems to contribute and enhance...like synergy Oh I could really make some puns with this. *refrains
    Meeatu: You get kudos for having the craziest view. Your character though, looks more like a burden. I don't see what she could contribute and as such seems like any of Spidey's rivals could dispatch her in seconds.

Thanks
    Voted bluelines, the character had the most sidekick vibe imo, and i also liked the colourscheme. I don't think those torn jeans would last very long though.:p
    Wish there were more entries, it seems like the Chow's been slowing down the last few rounds.

Thanks
    I went for walnut. I like the description and literally felt the character belongs to the Marvel Universe.

Just posted my finished version but i see i am to late. Oh well it is basically the same pic. VampireHungerStrike
    Great idea. cognition.sb and young paddy1 very nice as well. Also meeatu and bluelinesmoke. Voted for walnut very nice and energetic

Thanks
    damn, I cant even get a crit. I really thought my CONCEPT was strong, especially in comparison to the rest. I like being ignored its nice.

Thanks
    GratefulDead: Here's a crit -> lose the ego and gain some patience.
    You've waited one day and expect an influx of crits. Also, you say you're new to digital painting, but are asking for technique advice. Take a look around this website! There are an endless number of tutorial/interactive threads where you can practise your craft.

If by "my CONCEPT was strong, especially in comparison to the rest" you mean "the amount of writing I had was plentiful, especially in comparison to the rest", then yes - You would be correct. However, at this point I'll warn you I'm incredibly blunt. Don't read on if you're easily offended.

Your concept is flawed. She's a sidekick with seemingly stronger powers than Spiderman. Also, her powers aren't that original, there are numerous other heroes/villains with a supersonic voice. For example, Banshee from X-Men, that tape deck Transformer guy, and Lion's Roar from Kung Fu Hustle (just watched it yesterday). Originality plays a fair role in a good concept.

That's enough rant for now...

Thanks
    you know what ur right and I apologize. no ego, I never said it was that great, I just want SOME feedback, and no Im not easily offended at all, I just want to get better. It just gets rather frustrating when you have no idea how to progress and no one to help you. I was out of line. I really respect this entire group of artists, I just kinda went off on my own little tangent and spoke without thinking. once again I apologize.

Thanks
    Alright, dude. It's all good as long as you've got the goal. I'm also trying to learn, and am self-taught, too. Just spend time focusing on little things that need work. You'd be better off doing lots of quicker practise sketches than spending hours on one piece.

The best place to start would probably be sketching from life or images (preferrably life). Really getting anatomy down-pat. With the use of references you'll find yourself improving at a faster rate, so try not to leave everything to the imagination. Without references you may develop bad habits. This will take years to become proficient, but you'll notice some benefits more quickly.

As for technique/painting help, a good place to start may be the FINE ARTS, STUDIES, & DISCOVERY section. Idiot Apathy's 'Peer Project...' post is a great resource, which starts at a very basic level.

In conclusion, I was being quite a hard-ass, but every now and then I'm rubbed the wrong way. Was just trying to put things in perspective - everyone faces the same dilemmas, it's just a matter of how you handle it.

I hope this post helps.

Thanks
    I voted for young paddy. The Chamelon idea worked for me. Everyone in the Spiderman universe is pretty animal theme heavy. In some ways I see her as a villain type... but maybe she converts over to Spidey's side. He's seen plenty of people hover on the edge of siding with him or not... maybe this time someone sees the light... I like the eyes. And the sticky whip.

I guess the reason why I voted here is the way it feels like it fits into the existing Spidey mythos.

Thanks
    woted for walnut, his piece has an interesting and dinamic pose, also colors are well put. Her left arm is a little fu*ed up but that's no issue.
    meeatu, very intriguing perspective
    '...men must be free from
    boundaries, patterns and
    consistencies in order to be free
    to think, feel and create in new ways'
    [Sketchbook]

Thanks
    I had one of these, a dragonfly girl...but didn'i finish in time. anyway I am having a hard time voting as my familiarity with Spidey is based on the old comics and he was a solitary kinda guy. Always ansgting about something. Most girls would get fed up with him. I'll give it another think and vote soon really I will.
    And Grateful...get used to being ignored. Ive been around for half a year, nearly every time posting in two weeklies, and the number of crits Ive recieve can be tallied on one hand.....Ive gotten one solitary vote in that time.
    For Practice you might want to come over to the DSG.....Its fun, we crit all the time and are not has high pressure as the weeklies... By all means stay with the weeklies too.
    Chaos Rocks

Thanks
    Voted for Greatfull Dread. The concept was the most appealing to me. Walnut's drawing is pretty good but I'm afraid her abilities are similar to Psylocke and Jean Grey.
    I like Sundance's also but her abilities remind me of the Antman and Aburame Shino (from Naruto).
    Meeatu, Cable and Cyborg.
    There's nothing better than dinner and CSI.
    Latest Showcase
    Noi's Sketched Up Creations
    3thumbsup

Thanks
    My vote is for walnut (I clicked it, couldn't believe so many others voted for it despite it's technically not the best entry, sorry Walnut). She's cute and exactly what Spiderman needs, imho.

Thanks
    Vampire's got mine...just. Nearly voted for Bluelines...Great stuff all.

Thanks
    I voted for walnut, really nice, loose style. Fits really nicely with the spidey/marvel style comics too. . .

Thanks
    Congrats, Walnut.
    Thanks for the votes: Asoir, bumskee, dtran, Elwell, Hedi, P_N_R, Snarfevs
    And thanks for the comments mybutterflyiris and Mitze. Good job everyone!

Thanks
    Thank you mr.Strike. I don't feel it's that well-deserved a victory though. There were tighter piece than mine imo.