Thanks

Fill 'er up, please.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1116342.php

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1841989

$35 to fill up my tiny little '99 Sentra. You and your gold filled jowls can go straight to hell Lee Raymond.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    what the hell happened. Not two weeks ago gas was down all the way to 2.30 or something to that effect. Now its 3.19? fuck that. Im walking.

Thanks
    87 regular is $4.31 a gallon where I live, and it's supposed to go up to another $.14 this week. Glad I don't have a car! Maybe I'll buy one of these.

Thanks
    ... WHAT?!?!
    You think you Americans have it bad with "gas" costs?!

Sheesh!...
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonfox
    ... WHAT?!?!
    You think you Americans have it bad with "gas" costs?!

Sheesh!...
    Yes, I do. Even though you Europeans have higher gas prices, the sheer land size of this country, sprawl, lack viable mass transit in many suburban areas and urban areas, dependance on trucking as the primary means of goods transportation, and sheer idiotic blind reliance on cheep fuel, causes a huge squeeze on people who are reliant on such an essential utility. Yeah, I think we have it bad.

Britain is about the size and population of the southwestern United States. You still have a significant amount of rail infrastructure. We don't. Especially not in this part of the nation. We've been backed into a corner by price gouging multinationals in the so called 'free market,' at the expense of 'record profits' and douchebags like Lee Raymond who'd like to own that 3rd mansion.

Ironically enough, the lowest gas prices in this area are provided by Arco filling stations, who are owned by your friends at British Petroleum.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    That's what you get for letting the auto industry put an axe in railroad development's side.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie
    That's what you get for letting the auto industry put an axe in railroad development's side.
    ..and for letting GM buy all the trolly lines in LA =D

Remember 'Who Framed Rodger Rabbit?' Seriously, it was like that but a lot fewer sentient cartoons.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    I just paid $88 for 12 gallons of premium.

Just thankful I still get 25 mpg in my 18 year old car.

Thanks
    i may be wrong about the future, but every time i take my small car to go to the office, going from dallas north to dallas east, i can't help but imagine all this GIGANTIC highways with no cars, all empty, dead.
    when i bought my scion xa two months ago, i think i paid around 24 dollars to fill the bug. i paid 32 dollars this morning, and it wasn't even completely empty.

i'm convinced the best alternative, that should have been used long ago in the us, should have been the train. a high speed train like the French "train à grande vitesse" (TGV), the Japanese shinkansen or the German InterCity Express ICE. despite the long distances, the concept should have worked here in the US because of the population size.

egerie: well said

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by machzero
    I just paid $88 for 12 gallons of premium.

Just thankful I still get 25 mpg in my 18 year old car.
    i feel for your grave loss...
    i drive a 1992 cherokee with over 160, 000 miles on it and i pay over 40 to fill a tank. it's a 4x4 V8. high output.

what about biofuels. modifying your car to burn fryer oil as fuel for forward motion?

actually fuck liquid fuels. we need mini reactors in cars, also they gotta hover by now...
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan
    actually fuck liquid fuels. we need mini reactors in cars, also they gotta hover by now...
    omg.. biggest rip off of the 2000 changeover. No damn flying cars.

Sparth and egerie, I feel the same way about trains. The biggest mistake this country made was to defund the rail industry and let it fall apart. Especially with so much open land in the middle of the country, there is no excuse for not having a highspeed rail system like Japan and Europe to cris-cross the nation.

Why in the hell do tax payers have to pay billions and billions of dollar for Lockheed to build bombers we never use instead of giving them contracts to build bullet trains?

There's no excuse for the urban centers to lack mass transit. Ray Bradbury suggested that with its temperate weather, problems with potential subway systems, and mass area, LA would be ripe for an elevated monorail system.

The current system is such a screwy mis-prioritization.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    So glad I live in a city where I actually don't need to own a car....

Unfortunately the price of oil and gas is affecting a lot more than just how much you have to pay at the pump. Every single bill I pay has risen fairly noticeably since last September ('cept the cable bill... but that's only because I called up and reduced my services... it had been going up steadily for 6 years before that).

Thanks
    shoot how about hte new york subway system, after living in LA and visiting new york, its great! a month pass is a hell of a lot cheaper then having to pay for gas+ insurance + maintinence (sp?)

Thanks
    Heh, after living in NYC and then moving to LA, I' pine for the days when I could just hop on the subway to get around.. or.. *gasp* walk!

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    A gallon in Sweden costs 7 bucks. To fill my dads Volvo S80 it costs about a $100
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    They can't build a monorail or a subway in LA because of earthquakes.

On the other hand, Japan has built their subways using a shock-absorbing, quake-resistant ducts that won't fracture during seismic event, but I doubt that will be effective enough to protect civilians during an actual earthquake while in the subway.
    Last edited by CaptainInsano; April 25th, 2006 at 03:51 AM.

Thanks
    If a big enough tremor hits downtown LA, there won't be much left anyway either.

I was in northridge end of 94, saw most of the post-quake damage before the clean-up started. Entire parking structures coming down in the mall, rows of pancaked cars, both library wings "twisting" themselves off at the uni, etc.

But I think the civil engineering guys are good enough to build monorails if they had too. Or atleast ask those guys a little north of the valley, from magic mountain or seven flags... heheh.

to think I paid $14 for a 12 gallons then... heheh... Stupid bus ride cost me $4 then and 1.5 hours (was unlucky to arrive at the stop to see the bus pull away both times) for a 20 min drive back then.

No longer in so.cal, nowadays I occasionally park at a station, and take the monorail or light transit into the city if I can.

Thanks
    what are these "trains" that you all speak of?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingwa
    So glad I live in a city where I actually don't need to own a car....

Unfortunately the price of oil and gas is affecting a lot more than just how much you have to pay at the pump. Every single bill I pay has risen fairly noticeably since last September ('cept the cable bill... but that's only because I called up and reduced my services... it had been going up steadily for 6 years before that).
    I know what you mean. My town is VERY tiny, and I live on an island. Now it's cool because I don't have to drive, so I save money that way. Yet when I get my electric bill I notice a $150 sur-charge. What's that for you ask? The freakin' diesel generators that produce our electric!!!! And why did the prices for all of our goods go up? Because shipping stuff on the barge now costs more. AHHHH!!!! Where's Seth Brundle when you need him!?

Thanks
    I live in Arkansas guys.... in a town with very little in it. I have to travel 30 miles just to get to a walmart. I'm working on getting myself a motorcycle though. That way I'll actually be able to afford to go places without selling any organs.
    My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    I so badly want a scooter. Even my tiny Civic is expensive to fill.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    But LA/Hollywood /does/ have a subway. It's even been in a movie or two. People just don't use it that often as it doesn't go many places.
    My Sketchbook
    Contact e-mail: necronomicouch@gmail.com

"Every bullet left in my gun at the end of the day is a waste of the taxpayer's money" - Deputy T. Junior (Reno 911)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Necronomicouch
    People just don't use it that often as it doesn't go many places.
    Exactly. Excellent investment aye?

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    meh, it's for the tourists.

400 million retirement package... i hope that guy has to spend a few million on his bed just to sleep well at night.

Thanks
    I read that in a few years we'll be dreaming of the good ol days when it was 3.20 a gallon.

heres the article

http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?sect...e&storyid=1018

makes me want to get a horse and ride it around instead

mike

Thanks
    This is why Roger Rabbit was so damn funny, it hit the nail on the head. America has had a love affair with the automobile for almost a century now, and it's a real tough habit to break.

Sure the train is fun (Japan's bullet train is an awesome experience), but nothing beats screaming across Autobahn No 1 at well over 140 MPH... with the cruise control on. Don't even get me started on doing Route 66 here in the US.

I'm gonna miss my Super Sport someday. Not just yet, but someday, I'm sure.