The Hammer

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Hammer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry The Hammer

A new character I'm working on. Inspired by Sauron from the lotr movie and pyrimid head from Silent hill. Still fleshing out the body design but will stick with the helmet. Any C&C would be cool.
    The Hammer
    The Hammer

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like its design and the 3d model is sweet!

on a concept sidenote though (which youre totally free to ignore)... having spikes on the side of your head wouldnt work very well... the sidemovement is rather limited and even if he is flexible all hell do is poking himself in his arms.... how about attaching them front/back?

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think his hammer should be as interesting as his head, and larger than it is right now to emphasize the idea that he isn't built for mobility.

And it does look badass

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    agreed on the practicallity issues design-wise. id say shorten the side protrusions, but make them thicker overall, so his head is like one big hammer as opposed to a big stick with points, you know?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    concured with the hammer, i think it should be elaborated on, but man, awsome frikin possom design!! ah, when i first saw it the first thing that came to my head was pyramid head. : ) sweet metallic texture on the model!

My attempt at baking eyecandy.

I'm Here to make friends! Befriend me I buy you sweets yes yes!

My Icecream Filled Sketchy book.~

~ERILAZ~CRAZY3DMAN~SEPULVURTURE~THEGREYPENCIL~HALO'S CHAIN~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a naming question... is Hammerhead too cliche? or do you think simply "The Hammer" sounds more badass?

Not a question for me, just wanted to get you thinking about the name is all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sone_one Thanks! happy to here you like the design.I know the practicality of him moving let alone fighting with the large spike protrusions would be very hard but in my head this guy kinda just stands around and scares the shit out of people. He's not very mobile, just an odd verison of a "dark knight type." Also IMO this guys movement could be potentially very strange and interesting, also intimidating. Think about his heavy, yet balanced head governing his movement: side 45 degrees to side 45 degrees, swinging his hammer from side to side as well. I guess I will know if this works in reality when I rig him and do a walk cycle or something. Peace.

Rhineville : Oh yeah it does. I hate the sledge hammer looking thing that he is holding now but thats why its a wip. I will definatley do some concepts in 3-d today and try to blast out a weapon of more interest. Thanks dude 8)

'stoph I probably tinkered with the actual length of the side protrusions for longer then it took me to make the model. So, who knowns they have been longer, shorter, skinnier, and wider than whats here now , not sure what exact porportions I'll choose in the end. Right know, your crit sounds nice but I'll probably change my mind. Thanks though, peace>

Halos Chain
    Hell yeah , it will be elaborated on immediatley! That is the nicest thing you could tell me that this guy reminds you of pyrimid head cause him and sauron are my two favorite character desgns of all time. Silent hill the movie was an amazing visual experience and Pyrimid head does not disappoint so see it immediatley everyone!

I will update later today with new weapons and stuff. If anyone has any other input that will be nice too!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now i understand it better, i really enjoy your concept and your vision of it ... cant wait to see it .

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville
    Just a naming question... is Hammerhead too cliche? or do you think simply "The Hammer" sounds more badass?

Not a question for me, just wanted to get you thinking about the name is all
    Hammerhead or just The Hammer? Hmmm, I like them both but to me The Hammer sounds more mysterious and intimidating. The hammer makes the character sound like an outsider, he is an object, a thing a tool of dominance and power. The Hammer. If there were many of these guys wearing these helmets I would say call them hammerheads no maybe the hammers of_______(insert cool sounding dominion) You raise a good point. I need to think about this more. Names can really make you perceive the character in different ways. Good point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, i saw your concept and it reminded me of some extint people from Argentina, they are really weird looking, very of out of this world and i wanted to show it to you and the other people maybe it interests you, they are called the Onas:

http://www.temakel.com/ghhain.htm
    (scroll down to see all the pictures)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the link Chistian223 those guys are awesome looking. If I do a tribal type character anytime soon I will ref these guys for sure.

So just a little update, I finished my hammer weapon concept and I like it though the texture will be alot better. Tried to tie the character to the weapon best I could and ended up withh something a little odd but overall I think it relates to the character. I'll update with the finished greyscale pics and then onto color, and modeling the body.

All C&C is very welcome!

The Hammer

These suck.

The Hammer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad you fixed the hammer.
    but dude the helmet idea is PURE GOLD! i fucking love it dude, i wish i could come up with that before you.
    even though the design with his torso exposed is drawn betetr then the first left one, i think it is boring, and it just begs for more metal in the pic.
    i suggest for actualy leaving the torso open, maybe with some big scar/rip/interisting thing/eyeball maybe, but put metal armor on the arms everywhere.
    that would be brutal.
    if u dont mind ild raw this character a couple of times.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by manslauter
    glad you fixed the hammer.
    but dude the helmet idea is PURE GOLD! i fucking love it dude, i wish i could come up with that before you.
    even though the design with his torso exposed is drawn betetr then the first left one, i think it is boring, and it just begs for more metal in the pic.
    i suggest for actualy leaving the torso open, maybe with some big scar/rip/interisting thing/eyeball maybe, but put metal armor on the arms everywhere.
    that would be brutal.
    if u dont mind ild raw this character a couple of times.

Glad you like it so much, I guess that what's happens when you draw inspiration from Sauron and Pyrimid Head and get a little creative. I'm actually surprised how many people like this design. When I showed my girlfriend sh thought it looked weird. Anyways I agree with the open chest too, I know that the one I have now needs some spicing and detail I just havent had time to go back to PS yet. As far as drawning my character, I would be flattered, just make sure you post them so I can see. Peace.

So any comments about the hammer weapon?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cass83
    So any comments about the hammer weapon?
    I'm not so sure about it.

I wanted to see it symmetrical and rectangular like his head (more bold and brutish also) but the sloped edge of your design is somewhat similar to his beak-like face.

If you like it then keep it, but I'd also like to see a blocky (but more elaborate) design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah my new hammer design was well, not really what I had in mind either it is a strange weapon but I think it suits the characters mysterious side but not his brutal side. For instance, looking at the weapon you dont think,"damn that could fuck something up" or are you necessarily afraid of it. It may be too abstact for the character, something I need to reconsider. At first I did not want his weapon to be too similar to his head but I think this is an avenue I should explore more. Brutal symetry eh? Keep em coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    work on the gauntlets!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the weapon of mass ass-kicking. i think it would be cool to incorporate some type of metal plating on his robe/dress thingy, otherwise experiment with some armour combinations and he will be a genuine "badass"!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on gauntlets. What do you think?

The Hammer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm a big fan of the gauntlet although i'm not to sure about the bicep peice, it seems unpratical, i would suggest to make it more suttle and continue the theme of the gauntlet's twisting metal look since it mimics the the design of the face. maybe you should change the perspective on the weapon, it doesn't do much justice for the design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Hammer

Astaroths Hammer head from SCIII!
    Imo - I like the concepts , but once you make anything on a character look functional it gives it a MUCH higher value overall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VB: I agree with the practicality issue of the bicep armor. It was kinda tacked on until I came up with a better design,I'm trying to make it relate in a way to the spikes on the head. I mess with a twisted metal design tonight for the bicep but glad to hear you like the gaunlet. Subtle design will be key with practicality in mind.

Diabolique Yes Astaroth's hammer is badass and functional and I like the design. The design is actually historically acurate to medevil armor peircing war hammers. My weapion design however, I want to relate to the character, not just be a tacked on weapon of functionality. IMO my weapon is pretty functional though but could use some tweaks.

I'll update the reworked armor, better weapon veiw, and hopefully a cleaner more rendered versionl ater tonight. If there are any more crits before I go into the final stages before color let me know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cass83
    VB: I agree with the practicality issue of the bicep armor. It was kinda tacked on until I came up with a better design,I'm trying to make it relate in a way to the spikes on the head. I mess with a twisted metal design tonight for the bicep but glad to hear you like the gaunlet. Subtle design will be key with practicality in mind.

Diabolique Yes Astaroth's hammer is badass and functional and I like the design. The design is actually historically acurate to medevil armor peircing war hammers. My weapion design however, I want to relate to the character, not just be a tacked on weapon of functionality. IMO my weapon is pretty functional though but could use some tweaks.

I'll update the reworked armor, better weapon veiw, and hopefully a cleaner more rendered versionl ater tonight. If there are any more crits before I go into the final stages before color let me know.
    I think your weapon is fine for functionality , i was talking more about the armor and helmet ( maybe just a small reduction )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to try some color out. Made a few changes too. Still need to work more on the flesh and weapon but what do you think so far?

The Hammer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing man. just be sure to put him in an environment. I love the head.

one thing that bothers me is the bicep armor. seems a little hard or too straight? i dunno still lookds great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got to disagree with all the make the hammer functional ideas, that to me screams cheese. Who the hell is going to attack with their head anyways? The way it is now is pure style - style is a weapon on the battlefield too you know!

It's coming along nicely, cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks great. Can't wait to see the final product.

"All your base are belong to us!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    howdy. nitpicking here.

you might wanna work on his CG in that paint/sketch. hes lookin like leaning on hammer. but said hammer looks too straightish to be bearin his weight.

but! im guessing the sketch is just to work out design issues for your sculpt so it dont matter so much anyway. itll sweeten the presentation though

ZCAI

"The greatest tragedy is when theory far exceeds performance." Leonardo Da Vinci
    ---------------------------------------------
    INTERNATIONAL SKETCHBOOK SUPPORT GROUP

ERILAZ! OTHERSIDE! CRAZY3DMAN! THEGREYPENCIL!

I SPY WITH MY EYES...GROUP

SEPULVERTURE! BHANU! BENDRAGON! JOHN T!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great! reminds allot of silent hill and thats a compliment!

would look slightly creepier and less sadisitic withouth the spikes on top of the helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've gotta say for a design like this, I agree with Idiot Apathy. Style over function.

Besides, if his main function is to scare the crap out of you and intimidate, I'd say he performs pretty admirably. =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep what you have, don't change anything, and for idiot apathy, characters attack with their head all the time, and as a matter of fact the flying headbutt is my preferred assault on some1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.