Immune to Comments
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Immune to Comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Immune to Comments

I am like 0 for 4 receiving comments on this, but its my first serious painting and I really would like some hardcore suggestions on him.

Last edited by Stupidity'sUglyHead; May 26th, 2006 at 11:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm.....................do you know what shadows are?

Honest, I don't try to be an asshole, it just happens!

http://evildragonfire.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nope... what is that? I live in a land of pure light and purple puddles.

Last edited by Stupidity'sUglyHead; April 24th, 2006 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes I think you have to decide where the light source is coming from, then you can dictate where the shadows will be, that violet should defenately not be there as a shadow

When you are painting the shadows, use each areas own colour but darker, instead of using dark grey all over the place

I like the character and anatomy and all looks really nice !!!!

look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah except for the feet (just the claws part), the rest is nice

as it was already noted, find a light source and make the lighting more dynamic but at least you did do a shade of green light on the arm from that flying green skull =)

damn.. posted this comment while the one before me stated everything, hehehe... so, humm... like that fat kid said =P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by That fat kid

On a related note, if you greet all critique with witty sarcasm, why would someone want to critique?

They will crit because some people just need that little extra drama and liveliness to chear them up (like me) I hate consensus more than anything else it sounds like a cursing word to me, I need chaos and strong emotions and spontanious realistic situations in life where plates and coffee cups flies all over the kitchens in the breakfast table (not many men can take this,if even any- that is why Im thinking about lesbianism because the last strong man I was thinking to have any hope turns out to be a total wimp and pacist in nature-another cursing word !!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupidity'sUglyHead
    I am like 0 for 4 receiving comments on this, but its my first serious painting and I really would like some hardcore suggestions on him.
    I repainted it like this, while the light source would be coming straight from upstairs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm................you actually needed someone to critique the original to motivate you to do some more on it? Turning out nice tho.

*See, this time I put more thought into my critique, as you put more thought into this peice*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Egets- Thank you so much for taking the time to do a paint over. I looked at it as I painted in some more shadows, not sure if that's showing so much, but it felt very helpful in my mind. And for that, throw my dishes anytime.

Hey Fats- Gratitudes for your in depth comments. Sometimes I get snow blind as I work on the details and its really helpful to have precise words as such. I think I successfully grounded him, though its still a surreal background. As for the sarcasm, I'm just a tongue-in-cheek light hearted guy. I know calling myself Stupidity and the skull icon give NO indication of that, its just the unfortunate theater of my mind. Hopefully you few will look past that and keep helping me, I'll be in great shape for that eventually.

RottenD- I'm guessing you're refurring to the cookie cutter layout of the colors on the claws? What would look better? Fade the colors, straighten the claws, make em pink?

The top image will change dynamically as I improve it, and while I'm only 25% done catching up with everyones suggestions, I was eager to respond and show how I'm doing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

lol

As for the sarcasm, I'm just a tongue-in-cheek light hearted guy. I know calling myself Stupidity and the skull icon give NO indication of that, its just the unfortunate theater of my mind.

I love people who do not take thier artwork too seriously, when you do that, the fun of it dies. I am known to play devil's advocate from time to time, however, undortunatley I think I am misread at times. Really though, you are doing a good job, and I like the little demon, or whatever he is

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, SUH. This actually wouldn't be all that bad, if the background were not in mortal combat with the figure, from a color, value, and design point of view. Look over Prom's tutorial some. It'll give you some more insight on lighting, pose, and a couple other important bits.

Shadows are not necessarily just a darker local color (Egets). Shadows are the places where the main light source are not hitting the surface. The lighting there is from secondary sources and may be of a different quality. Once you define the quality, based on the surroundings, you can tell what color should be in the shadows.

I like the shadow you've got going on the lower part of the legs. It adds a lot of life.

Anatomically, I assume this is meant to be more cartoony, so I'll leave it at that. It's just so tough to meld human and animal anatomy, because it's important to understand both to bring it off with much believability.

It's just so unfortunate the background is a 24 car pile-up.

With an overturned chicken truck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood

It's just so unfortunate the background is a 24 car pile-up.

With an overturned chicken truck.

OMG! now THAT's brutal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by That fat kid
    Hey stupidity,
    Like you, I enjoy the sarcasm, hence my ridiculous user name. However, it just struck me as odd that you'd bring up the lack of replies in the first post, then attack the first poster...lol....
    anyhow, can't wait for an update on this beast.

~A

I wonder if that means u really r fat then-how repulsive I just hate and despise fat men they are good for nothing but sarcasm or be Santa Claus once a year

Last edited by Egets; April 25th, 2006 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by evildragonfire
    OMG! now THAT's brutal
    I hope not. SUH's light-hearted like me, so I'm sure he realizes that anytime you see "chicken truck", it's an over-the-top comment.

How can anything from some who is actually called "dogfood" in the real world be cruel?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fats- I wasn't attacking the first poster, and I think he knows that. Thanks for your encouragement.

egets- you are hardcore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fats- I wasn't attacking the first poster, and I think he knows that. Thanks for your encouragement.

egets- you are hardcore.

8) hell yeah rock on duuuudeee!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fats- I wasn't attacking the first poster, and I think he knows that.
    I knew from the beginning that you were having fun....................as was I, however, my post got you the comments and suggestions you desired......at least THAT's my story, and I am sticking to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok heres how you might want to go about this next time. Start in with only values, just greyscale. Dont jump straight into color until you have a good basis of darks and lights. As you may know, forms are only defined by the play of light and shadow so an image really doesnt look very believable until that aspect of the image is handled. Color can be addressed afterwards since you a painting digitally. First decide where the light is coming from. In this case it looks like it might be coming from above and then of course from his glowing skull minion. Unfortunately the background is so dark that there is no way that the light could be coming from above. My suggestion in this situation is to consider the tone of the piece. Ok its a monster and he can summon glowing disembodied spirits. That screams to me that it should have a very dark and creepy feel to it, you started to get that in the background area. Heres what you do. Get rid of the multiple light sources. Just stick with the glow from the skull. It will cast that goul lighting that sets the tone I think youre looking for. So the side of the creature near the lighting will have blue reflections but the rest should be in deep shadow. Not an easy feat to pull off but if I have time Ill try to do something loosely based of this guy to give you an idea of what I mean. Egets' paintover should give you an idea of what Im talking about minus the overhead lighting. Now remember your doing all this in black white. However once you establish all the values you can put an new layer over you value layer and set it to Overlay. Then you can try as many different colors as you want, it more or less instantly colorizes it for you and as long as your values are correct then the color will follow suit. One last thing to consider. You need to think about a characters pose. Right now hes just standing, stiffly I might add. But hes quite obviously a menacing character with necromancer powers, so his pose should reflect that. Have him hunched over a little as if hes creeping. Or have him with arms stretched apart with arcane power surging all over the place. The position of a character is so important to a piece. Also the characters position within the space of image is important. Right now hes smack dab in the middle. Thats not necessary and it makes the piece less interesting. We know from the fact that hes the only character in the image that hes important so no need to place him dead center. Not sure if I explained myself very well but this is alot of info to try and pass on without any visuals. Good first effort though and keep pluggin away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So really what we're realizing that if I want a great finished piece, I need to begin again at sketch yeah?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bingo, he's got it. Youve just come upon one of the many great lessons of art. You may have to do multiple versions of a piece until youve produced something thats worth keeping. What helps to eliminate this though is to do alot of thumbnail and preliminary sketches. Just a simple 5 minute sketch can speak volumes of where a piece might go. So yes start over once again. Spend alot of time on the compostion of the work, aka the balance of the objects within the negative space. However dont sit and stress over a sketch for too long, be intuitive, go with your gut feelings on things. If you keep a sketch nice and loose and dont stop to ponder over things then youre more closely replicating the thoughts from your head. Kinda like mainlining your thoughts directly through your arm and onto the paper. Then look at what youve done and adjust any errors. Scan it in and start working over it on the computer. That should at least give you a good start on things. Post your precolor drawing on the critique section and see what needs to be fixed before hitting up the values and colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like I should change the title now since it doesn't apply, but it flows so smoothly. Well, here's the new sketch. I just hope I don't get chewed out for posting a sketch out of the sketches and wips section.

Last edited by Stupidity'sUglyHead; May 26th, 2006 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well you can always move it if anyone gives you any flack about it. Ok this is much better. The pose isnt nearly as stiff and it has alot more character to it than the original. I see you managed to preserve the stylization and it works alot better with this image. My one crit would be to move the leg furthest away farther back. Make him look like he has a wider stance, itll be more dynamic. Im a little unsure as to the anatomy of his hip region since he has such an odd leg configuration as opposed to the typical humanoid but I think spreading the legs further apart might fix it. Good work and good improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I personally liked the first sketch more no matter how idle he looks like, this second one looks like too hmmmm pretendous or something I dont really know

But if you want to go on with that new pose then one of the things that are sooo wrong is his right leg, from our point of view the left side that is more towards us, have you thought of this character in sceleton vice, I dont want to get like tireingly pedant here but a character should have sceleton and a way that he moves naturally I cant imagine how he would walk now, I mean that would you be able to create him a beleivable walking cycle ? If not then something is defenately wrong in his anatomy and I would say its the legs mostly

I think there should be still another joint, of course its your design and maybe you want the legs to be this way but just dont appear very beleivable to me, let me try to see if I can sketch it in Photoshop to show you what I mean more well...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new pose illustrates what I was talking about with knowing animal and human anatomy in order to successfully meld them. One of the things about creating fantastic creatures (meaning creatures from fantasy), it's important to include elements from reality to suspend the viewer's disbelief.

The pelvis area, especially witht the legs shooting backwards, is really awkward. Here's a good example of a rear animal leg (dog, of course):

Notice how the demon leg totally skipped the femur. Now, it's a creature that doesn't exist, so you can define it's skeletal structure, but if it has no base in reality, or if it just won't work and relies entirely on magic, you're going to lose the viewer very quickly. In this configuration, I frankly fear for the poor guy's gear. It's all jutted forward, just asking for a good kick. It makes me sit funny.

I'm still digging those feet, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to draw the sceleton based on your character to the left side and its walking cycle on top, its not entirely impossible but needs thinking, then I thought that I myself would have put one extra joint then it would look like the second sceleton rendition, these were quickies so are not any through studies but yet might be helpful

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Egets- He definately lost all his regalness in the latest sketch, which is something I really wanted as an element. Another sketch is in the chamber though, especially since the new head and shoulders are ticking me off still.
    Once again my nick suits me. When I assume, I ASSMEME. I was going for bird legs, and every bird I've seen the leg appears to begin by going 245 degrees back from a muscle mass. In reality though well...

I knew there was a reason I got a pit in my stomach when I started inking it.

Last edited by Stupidity'sUglyHead; April 30th, 2006 at 03:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What ? Do you mean that I removed the characters dignity by ripping him off naked to the bones ? Sorry I defenately didnt mean to, I thought I was just being friendly or something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NONO haha sorry. MY newest sketch I did of him is too much of a wild tangent monster. In the original sketch and paint I did of him he had almost a gentlemanly quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    about the leg and joints : comparative anatomy is important here. The bird example you gave has a femur just like the dog leg (of course) dogfood has shown.
    Here is an image ref that you can use. As you can see, they still have a knee bending forward. The misconception always comes from the fact that the foot itself is so long people think it's an inverted knee. It is, in fact, the animal's ankle.
    Cartoon or not, you might want to *suggest* there is a very short femur here, without having to completely change your proportions. The hip area just draws too much attention from people wondering what's wrong.
    Nice peircings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Egerie, I was wondering myself about the leg anatomy thing because as I was adding two joints it kind of looked weird but now I got a confirmation from this picture that its not weird

Do you think it will be possible to walk with only one joint as was illustrated in the first one, or is it physically impossible, cant really tell ?

Wow do I like big large men, do you think that they are also endowed more well in the reproduction organ department ? Well anyways, if somebody is very big then he dont necessaryly have so long stamina, lol ! But I dont know I dont have experience of gigantic men before, I think more importantly even if the man can stimulate your mind ....okay Im officially now insane isnt it true...... goes to sleep already

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.