thinking about attending ringling

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thinking about attending ringling

i just graduated from a local school and now have an associates degree in digital arts. i focused on 3d modeling while i was there and i love it.

i consider myself an average 2d artist and really want to better my drawing skills.
    but ive heard that Ringling is very hard to get into and i see that alot of ringling students post their amazing work here

so if u guys and girls could look at a couple links of my stuff and tell me if i should even bother with it at this point or practice more before i submit a request id really appreciate it.

here is a 3d model i made in lightwave
    http://www.purgatory.net/joe/ogrepics1.jpg
    and here is a painting i did in PS using reference
    http://www.purgatory.net/joe/specops2.jpg
    and here is a pic of an original ink pic i did(as u can see my drawing skills need work)
    http://www.purgatory.net/joe/ogrecopy.jpg

and BTW i am looking to major in animation.
    any feedback is very appreciated. thx for ur time

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Oh boy.

Those look good, but i'd love to see more traditional works. post some links to some of your life drawing, and figure.

Ringling is hardcore traditional especially in Computer Animation. They just look to see if you can draw well, and show enough potential.

I'm starting this fall in CA but i really only consider myself average. If you want to attend Ringling you should focus on traditional drawing/painting. 80% of your portfolio should be life drawing- still life, figure etc. oh and they like variety of media also.

If you need ideas for portfolio work, check out the life draw/paint assignments they give out on [members of the middle class] art group(on this website).

Having an AA will be an advantage cause you can take more fine arts classes.

dried corpses smell like beef jerky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my life drawings are what i am lacking. i dont have them :/
    its why i am attracted to ringling. they look like they really could teach me how to draw better.

so i will work on doing more traditional stuff before i try to submit anythign to them then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i kind of have the same problem i started otu with 3d but i didnt learn the basics first. I'm pretty much giving up the 3d for a while so i can learn how to draw and paint in ps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was accepted to Ringling in the computer animation program for the fall and I have some of the work I sent to them posted on my website at http://www.fullsketch.com/Candace's/CRPort.htm. About 80% of it was life drawing. There was no 3D work, and only one concept painting. If you are having a hard time getting into the 2D you might try Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards, it is a great intro book and will take you a long way. Up until recently I have been life drawing at least once a week for 3 hours a session. If you want to check out a website that has great life drawing info you might try vilppu Studios at http://www.vilppustudio.com, I have 4 of his books and they are awesome. Well Enjoy, and good luck!:cool:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks. that helps gime an idea of where i am at redpanda.

i dont have a problem with drawing . i just need classes in it. ive been doing some anatomy and portrait recently. ill get em scanned in and post em here and u guys can tell me what u think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok here is stuff ive been doin the past 2 weeks. some of the anatomy was copied off stuff from here and off anatomy books because im still learning. these drawings are just learning but all character drawings are original and nothing copied about them.

warning there is alot of pics

thinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringling
    thinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringling
    the gas mask 1 was done off an old picture i found on the web.

Last edited by undergroundkg; June 2nd, 2003 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and some more. also sorry for stretching the thread and for alot of the cut off scans. my scanner is pretty small
    and if im breaking any rules. let me know ill edit my posts asap
    thinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringling

thinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringlingthinking about attending ringling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the character stuff....cool. It's great you are learning the anatomy, now if you can find some life drawing you can really get a chance to see how it works in real life. You might try blocking in your masses a bit more in the full bodies before you get into the details it will give you better proportion. I know it’s something I struggle with. I look forward to spending allot of time on my life drawing this fall I have a long way to go. By the way, for life drawing you don't have to go to classes just find a group that meets.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what do you guys think of academy of art college in san francisco for CA? how does it stand up to ringling?
    edit:
    i guess it woudl help if i explained my goals which is to work for either blizzard or a great studio that makes amazing animations with alot of feeling behind what they do. that being said what do u guys think is the best.

Last edited by undergroundkg; June 3rd, 2003 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

check out the ringling forum

there has been a nice long forum about ringling on this site a few months ago... I believe Its still active.

I just graduated CA at ringling, now I animate for sony pictures.... 2 other grads from this year work with me, and 4 others are coming out to rythm and hues.. not to mention some at maxis and tiburon... and others as well... I'd say AAC in San Francisco doesn't really compare, they don't give you the individual attention that ringling does. And yes drawing is important to ringling in order to get in... but beyond that its importance is somewhat exaggerated... you'll draw your first year a lot, but after that it needs to be pretty much outside of class. (its more understandign weight and balance of a pose that's important.. and that is stressed throughout the program)

In my opinion its more important to be a passionate artist and good storyteller... all the successfull animators from this years class just love doing it... I can't see myself doing anything else...

Go to ringling because you want to make a film... because there you will... and with a meaning... you're not making video game cutscenes (it may get you a job, but the satisfaction in that sort of thing doesn't go beyond people watching it and saying that's cool)

just my opinion, later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Go to ringling because you want to make a film... because there you will... and with a meaning... you're not making video game cutscenes (it may get you a job, but the satisfaction in that sort of thing doesn't go beyond people watching it and saying that's cool) "

that is the exact reason why i am looking to go to school again. i want to create a story with feeling and i want it to look spectacular enough to move people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi, ill be applying to ringling next year also and i can give you some opions about academy of art since i live pretty close to it and it was the first place I looked at, first off it has open enrollment and they run television adds on almost every TV channel, that should tell you something, second they have a giant drop out rate, and third they dont have that thing called a campus and SF city isnt that fun, main message is ringling = better and this is comming from someone that wants one of those treasured spots .... and red panda thanks for sharing those images

Members who have read this thread: 1