water-mixable oils....

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: water-mixable oils....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

water-mixable oils....

I am only using Artisan water-mixable Oils and I always asked myself if they are as good as real "oilcolors" or if I should safe my money and buy the real shit.
    So what do you and especially the experienced dudes over here think about that?

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never tried water-mixable since I was told to stay away by a number of artists.
    I was told they dont quite feel the same way as oils and can really ruin your brushes while being harder to clean.
    It couldnt hurt to buy a few real oils and see which one you prefer.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's no reason to use water mixables. It's possible to use real oils even if you are dead set against using solvents (and there are really very few good reasons why you should be). Use what you have, but as you run out replace them with the real thing. And by the real thing, I mean a good, artist's grade paint. Part of the problem with water mixables is, since they're marketed towards amatures and hobbyists, they're not great paint in the first place.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Water mixable oils????? What the hell will think of next? Watercolor pencils!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I kinda grew up with these water-mixable stuff, so I don't seem to have a clue about the pleasures of real oilpaint, so I'll try them. Too bad that I spend a fucking lot of money for that stuff.....

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

Elwell- one question: there are a number of companies wich say that their oilpaint is artist-quality( so do the companies who make these water mixable stuff), but how do I really know?

-----------------------

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jfwalls
    What the hell will think of next? Watercolor pencils!
    In fact, those exist for quite some time now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My dad gave me those same Artisan paints. I hate them, actually. They are really pastey and hard as a rock fresh out of the tube. You can't really "dip" your brush into them. You have to mash it in. They act more like acrylics, and don't go on smoothly. I use them for fast practice sketches now.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloominati
    Elwell- one question: there are a number of companies wich say that their oilpaint is artist-quality( so do the companies who make these water mixable stuff), but how do I really know?
    Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. If a company makes two lines of paint, avoid the cheaper one. Prefessional quality paint lines will generally have a larger selection of colors, with more price variation from color to color.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been using the water mixable oils. The last time I had tried oils (years ago) I had a bad allergic reaction, so I tried these water-mixables since I like the mat feel they give. I never actually use water to thin them with. My brushes ARE hard to clean sometimes, can't get the oil out of them, even with the "Brush cleaner and restorer". It's a chore to clean them several times. And some of the paints are too thick, have to add some linseed oil to them to match consistency with the other colors. But these problems seem to be relative to regular oil problems?

Anyway, after buying alllll these water-mixables, i'm wondering if i shouldn't have just tried some other brands instead?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're not actually mixing them with water, there's definitely no reason to use water mixables. You can clean any oil paint out of a brush using vegetable oil followed by soap and water.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooo... vegetable oil. Thanks elwell... again, I never could find what was causing the allergic reaction, which is why I tried the watermixables. Seems like I read somewhere that a few percent of people are allergic to oil paints? But I have no clue what causes it, it's not the linseed oil.

Edit: After doin some more googling, finding some new information I couldn't find a few years ago on the web...

*Chromate pigments (chrome yellow and zinc yellow) may cause skin ulceration and allergic skin reactions (such as rashes).*

This may have been it, in case anyone else has had the same problems.

Last edited by Bowlin; April 23rd, 2006 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it was a skin reaction, it was probably turpentine. Fortunately, unless you're using natural resins, turps can be replaced with odorless mineral spirits (Turpenoid, Gamsol, etc) with little ill effect.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    bowlin,
    i know a couple of people very sensitive to oil paints and thinners.
    one even wears plastic gloves while he works.

sometimes odorless thinners are just that... "odorless".
    they are still just as bad for you, you just cant smell it.
    try using Gamsol,
    it evaporates 5 times slower than turpenoid, so it shouldn't be as bad.

also, emphasize cleanliness.
    it drives me nuts when my students have paint all over their brush handles.
    be surgical about it.
    (i know i might not have done this myself at a.o.l., but i assure you it was because i was rushed)

there is no need for you to actually be coming in contact with the paint.
    so, like elwell said, its more likely the thinner.
    if the gamsol doesn't do the trick, use just straight linseed oil to thin your paint.

gloominati,
    as for water-soluables....i hate them.
    (but i hate acrylic too)
    a good oil paint feels like a soft butter when you apply it.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DSillustration
    sometimes odorless thinners are just that... "odorless".
    they are still just as bad for you, you just cant smell it.
    Not as bad, different bad.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Elwell and Dan! Yeah, when I played with oils and had the elergic reaction, it was years ago and didn't have a single clue what I was doing, paint everywhere. That makes absolute sence that I should never be in contact with the paint (except when cleaning brushes). I don't believe I've ever used Turpenoid, always see it, but never gave it a shot. Thanks, will try! Now what am I gonna do with 100 plus tubes of watermixable paint?

Wait, can you use gamsol with cobalt drier? or some other type of drier? And Dan, you had three different types of mediums set out? Some linseed, turp(?), something else?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    speaking of allergic reactions, the cheaper solvents and mediums tend to have more fillers and unrefined oil than the better quality stuff, so its has more stuff you body wont like too much.. you're more likely to have a bad reaction to it. i was using cheap hardware-store linseed oil for a while until i found out it made my skin really itchy.. i immediately stopped when i found out that was the culprit, and now, even when i use better linseed oil, it can irritate my skin if im not careful... so play safe!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    water mixable oils kick ass because they dry very fast (not as fast as acrylics though). & they are much healthier.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DSillustration
    ...also, emphasize cleanliness.
    it drives me nuts when my students have paint all over their brush handles.
    be surgical about it.
    (i know i might not have done this myself at a.o.l., but i assure you it was because i was rushed)

there is no need for you to actually be coming in contact with the paint.
    so, like elwell said, its more likely the thinner.
    if the gamsol doesn't do the trick, use just straight linseed oil to thin your paint.
    So, I take it you disprove of - oh, let's just hypothetically say - wiping the paint brush on your hand?

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo
    So, I take it you disprove of - oh, let's just hypothetically say - wiping the paint brush on your hand?
    haha! definetly.
    marshall arisman, a well known illustrator, paints with his hands, and a rag.
    he developed arthritis in his hands by the time he was 35.
    a direct result of the paint, he claims.
    now, he takes a bath mixed with apple-cider vinegar, to purge the toxins from his pores.

i have a feeling that something worse than arthritis may develope some day, though i certainly hope not.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Not as bad, different bad.
    Suggestions? I'm genuinely interested. I've used acrylics for my entire career, (lateley photoshop). I'd like to give oils a go again, but I have terrible cross-ventilation in my studio, and would prefer not going the solvent route.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I remember when these water oil things first came out and the reps were sure they would change the art world. One thing they did say was that the water was not really meant for mixing but for cleaning. But that is neither here nor there. The fact is that when any medium or method, whether magical oils or the computer, is used or touted as a shortcut or somehow magical there is danger. I'm sure if you talk to any of the good artists here on this board you will find that they use a medium because of its character and personality and are not looking for a faster, super secret way to paint. If you don't love the way that oils, built slowly in layers, can create amazing color and glow - If you don't love the way oils go on like butter and can create a surface which screams to be bitten - If you don't love the smell of linseed oil, walnut oil, pigment, and mediums, then find something else that you do love. My students constantly try to force mediums to do what other mediums do more naturally, e.g. watercolor to look like oils, because they are seemingly easier to use. By doing this they miss the beauty of what watercolor can really be (not to mention that watercolors are in reality one of the hardest mediums to use well). If you truly love what these water oils look like, smell like, and what you can do with them then by all means use them. But if you are using them as an easy way to use oils then trash them. I think people make the technical side of oil painting seem more difficult than it really is. In truth getting good at anything takes time and effort. Use a medium because it speaks to you not because it will shorten or somehow make your time at the table or easel easier. And if your body is telling you to use something different don't argue. There are plenty of ways to work out there.

bill

http://www.boisestate.edu/art/carman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloominati
    I am only using Artisan water-mixable Oils and I always asked myself if they are as good as real "oilcolors" or if I should safe my money and buy the real shit.
    So what do you and especially the experienced dudes over here think about that?
    I have Artisans, Max, and Duo water-miscable paints (as well as a range of regular oils.) Some (not all) of the Artisan and Max were hard, but not the same colors. All of Duos I've looked at have a good consistency so far. As far as I know Grumbacher is the only one that produces a "student grade" of these, Max2. All of these cover as well for me as the regular pro-grade I use. Money is not a deciding factor, really. I've bought pro-grade regular oils in the past that were crap, and cheap ones that were fine. I haven't seen that these dry any differently than regular paints.

Using water is cheaper than buying solvent, and there's no the odor and allergy concerns, but there are other options with regular paints you can consider as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman
    I remember when these water oil things first came out and the reps were sure they would change the art world. One thing they did say was that the water was not really meant for mixing but for cleaning. But that is neither here nor there. The fact is that when any medium or method, whether magical oils or the computer, is used or touted as a shortcut or somehow magical there is danger. I'm sure if you talk to any of the good artists here on this board you will find that they use a medium because of its character and personality and are not looking for a faster, super secret way to paint. If you don't love the way that oils, built slowly in layers, can create amazing color and glow - If you don't love the way oils go on like butter and can create a surface which screams to be bitten - If you don't love the smell of linseed oil, walnut oil, pigment, and mediums, then find something else that you do love. My students constantly try to force mediums to do what other mediums do more naturally, e.g. watercolor to look like oils, because they are seemingly easier to use. By doing this they miss the beauty of what watercolor can really be (not to mention that watercolors are in reality one of the hardest mediums to use well). If you truly love what these water oils look like, smell like, and what you can do with them then by all means use them. But if you are using them as an easy way to use oils then trash them. I think people make the technical side of oil painting seem more difficult than it really is. In truth getting good at anything takes time and effort. Use a medium because it speaks to you not because it will shorten or somehow make your time at the table or easel easier. And if your body is telling you to use something different don't argue. There are plenty of ways to work out there.

bill

http://www.boisestate.edu/art/carman

hehe well yeah, as I have already said some posts before, I kinda grew up with this water mixable oils. When I started painting in a really bad painting course, the teacher swore that these water mixable oils are really as good as the real ones and I as a person who has never ever painted before believed every word, hehe. So I really don't use these kinda oilpaint to have an easy life but I am using them because noone ever told me that they are bullshit. But now that I know it I will buy some high quality oils and see what happens..

Thanks for all the replies dudes, you really opened my eyes cause I would't have expected that this stuff is that bad..

-----------------------

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In sheridan's illustration program they won't let us use real oil paint because of the solvents used ... so we have a choice between acrylic, water mixable oils, and this walnut oil type stuff where you use walnut oil as the official solvent.

I'm probably the only student in my class who uses water mix-able oils as well.

They can be really annoying to work with, especially the first coat on a toothy canvas, but I find they slide around (like buttery oils are supposed to) on gessoed masonite. Don't try to pull them across a surface that isn't sealed and smooth.
    Average coats are nice because they dry within a week and my painting classes are weekly, so that works out.

They might not be real oils which I might use when I get out of art school, but right now I really don't have a choice. I dislike the overall feel and technique of acrylics immensely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kennygeeze
    In sheridan's illustration program they won't let us use real oil paint because of the solvents used ... so we have a choice between acrylic, water mixable oils, and this walnut oil type stuff where you use walnut oil as the official solvent.
    Jesus H. Christ.
    pld:
    Have fun not learning how to paint.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is sheridan pre-k now? honestly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Walnut oil is actually a binder like linseed oil. In fact it actually preceded, or was contemporary with depending on who you ask, linseed oil. Using walnut oil as a medium or solvent is pretty safe and is real oil paint binder. Walnut oil also takes a lot longer to spoil than linseed oil. Spoiling linseed oil causes that pungency which oil paint has. Of course I happen to like that smell.

bill

Last edited by bcarman; May 2nd, 2006 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kennygeeze
    In sheridan's illustration program they won't let us use real oil paint because of the solvents used ... so we have a choice between acrylic, water mixable oils, and this walnut oil type stuff where you use walnut oil as the official solvent...
    Even I'll agree that's extreme; although, that's not the first time I've heard that rule for a classroom. If the place is not properly ventilated, solvent use would be a bad choice.

-DBC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try linseed oil that's what my art teacher told me to get and he's been doing art for years.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Jesus H. Christ.
    pld:
    Have fun not learning how to paint.
    I'm still learning to paint...
    Looking, mixing... planning, drawing....

It's like playing the crappy guitar from garage sale until you get good and then go buy a nicer one.

And besides... I'm glad they don't let solvents in if they don't have the proper facilities. My highschool teacher was fine with kids using turps just in a regular classroom, they spilled the shit all over the place, it got dumped across the desks and nobody knew what they were doing. I was breathing a room full of it for an hour everyday. I don't trust the other people in my program enough with the same stuff. Acrylic paints for them I say...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.