wacom general questions, have mercy..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wacom general questions, have mercy..

hi, im new here and interested in digital painting (got experience with traditional). sorry, i guess you hate newbs with dumb questions.
    i need to buy a wacom and im sure that i'll stick to digital painting once i've started, so im willing to invest. wacom offers a lot of different stuff with thousands off aditional pens, special tools and so on. which of these pens do you actually use? sure, its individual, but what would you recommend for me as a beginner? i thought of buing an intuos. question: how does the size of something you draw on the tablett relate to the size of the lines shown on screen? if size-relation of screen and tablett was 1:1, a tablett smaller than screen wouldn't allow accurate drawing because everything would be "streched". If the tablett was bigger than the screen everything would be compressed. you see im pretty confused about this, can't express this logically correct in english. so, which intuos would you recommend?
    And is the acquisition in europe (germany) online-only?

thank you very much! would be cool if someone could help me.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - Unless set otherwise in the tablet settings, the tablet in pen mode with have a 1:1 proportionality with the screen. Hence placing the pen in the bottom left hand corner of the tablet will place the cursor in the bottom left hand of the screen. Same for top right hand corner of tablet and screen. Rest assured that the tablet provides can be calibrated in a heap of different ways.

- The tablet comes with a general purpose pen that should cover all of your needs. I can only speak for intuos 3 but it came with 4 standard nibs, a felt nib and a stroke nib.

hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you. and which size do you use then? A3 or A4?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All depends on your cash flow really.

With tablets its a case of size = price.

If you have the cash then everyone will say that you should go for the Intuos 3 or a Cintiq 21UX or something similar in the top range.

But I have heard people say that the Graphire range are good for the money also so...

You do learn to live with what you have though trust me, it just takes a few days/weeks to get comfortable with what you purchase.

Myself I am not flush with the cash at all heh, and I cant save worth a damn, so I ended up buying a cheepo one from a company called Trust - [google "Trust"], which worked with Painter but not with Photoshop when it comes to preasure; so I looked around for a few weeks and eventually got a Valito 2 which works with both

Its small and takes some getting used to, but I can live with it for now because I have to

Hyperion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuben
    thank you. and which size do you use then? A3 or A4?
    A5. Ownership of an A4 will attact attention from most governments whilst the only people who can buy an A3 are Slash, the Count of Saint Germaine, the Bavarian Illuminati (collectively) and God-Jesus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    allright. i just thought of these sizes because usually as a traditional artist you should be able to work on big formats. i guess the possibility to zoom puts this requirement aside. anyhow, what are the advantages of a bigger tablett then?

to the proportionality: i know that its 1:1 and that the coordinates of a point on the tablett correspond with the coordinates on the tablett. but my doubt is the following: We talk of these coordinates relatively, we don't talk of absolute numbers. So what you see on screen, for example a horizontal line of 5centimetres (or inches, whatever) would have only be drawn whith the exactly same lenght (exactly 5cm) on the tablett, if your screen had the exactly same measure as your tablett. Any deviation of screensize and tablettsize would distort your image shown on screen, referred to your original hand-movement (in absolute numbers). so regardless of 1:1 proportionality - any different (mathematical)functions can be proportional, this doesnt mean that they show the same value on the same (y-)spot. thats the problem, how is it solved by wacom? or isnt it even neccessary - sure, many of you seem to work with A5 and i guess that their screen is bigger than A5. I was just considering about this fact because i want my work to be transferred as i did it in original. maybe im just too traditional...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you talk about digital imagery you must talk in pixels as they are the units at work - mapping from pixels (or tablet lines for that matter) to a physical length is a function of the dpi/ppi mapping of your monitor and video signal. The fact that photoshop can talk about cm and inches at all is due to a calibration factor in your operating system that creates a relationship between pixels on your monitor and physical distance.

I would go into more detail but hopefully this dialogue box will be self explanatory:

You can establish absolutely whatever proportionality you want. In digital art you have to let go of conventions of physical distance and think in pixels and percentages because display of the image is not hooked to a single physical item with established size. If you actually need to draw a line that displays as 5 cm on your monitor I would be interested as to what line of work you're in!

Believe me, it all works. Just try one out if you have misgivings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm rocking an Intuos 3 A5 and loving it... I had a Graphire A6 before, but didn't paint with it.. i used it as a mouse substitute generally.

A friend of mine is a traditional painter and wanted to give digital a go, and she 'thought' that she needed a large tablet, and bought an A3 one. She regrets that decision now and feels its way too big. Its size meant she had to be further away from the monitor (due to lack of desk space) which meant she was further away from the keyboard (for shortcuts etc) .. and this 'sitting further back' from the monitor, meant it wasn't as easy to see finer details on the screen without having to change her seating position frequently.

"Learn as much as I can at whatever cost, then give it away for free and ask for nothing in return" - (me!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im sure it works, this forum is the best proof. thanks for replies, helped alot!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.