WIP - hotel Babylon - c & c

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

these are some mattes/backgrounds I'm doing for a friend's movie.
    It's the Hotel Babylon and obviously it's submerged.

The first scene shows the hotel above water. I still have to add some smaller rooftops sticking out of the water closer to the horizon.

The second scene - the submerged entrance to the hotel. I'm still blocking and erasing all the time so there are no highlights yet. And there's some blue/green issues I've yet to correct.

So crits and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

As well as some ideas on how to making the sea look "alive" when compositing - I still have no idea how I'm going to do that.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the second one ... looks great

on the first one the building, is to bold in contrast considering how far it is away... if youre lowering that it would look a lot better imo.

great work.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can try to use a dark blue or black as the first layer of water then go over it with a lighter blue and add some highlights to it. i like the way that the sky looks except the clouds are to dark and looks about the same. you can try to use more white and then darken it with the color of the sun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, great stuff! I think mood is always 80% of a piece, and these are both moody.

I definitely agree about the values of the tower and their relationship to their distance away from us. I think the top image needs a bit of atmosphere to set the distance.

The bottom image in particular is awesome. You mention unfinished highlights- I hope you're not adding too much, as right now I think the light is working almost just right as far as value. Maybe add some highlights here and there, but its murky and kewl right now, too.

The only thing I might suggest about that bottom image is about the ocean surface. We can see the moonlight defining the ocean surface for us, whic works really well. But I think maybe its a little limited in scope. Those cool, destroyed buildings that you suggest seem to kind of trap the 'surface glow' to that one area. Think about subtly extending that glow behind those buildings a bit. It wouldn't take much, just a hint and suddenly the scale of the scene opens up.

Awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks everyone,

sone_one:
    As for the contrast on the building i agree. originally it was a much darker slick black tower but the director wanted it to be made of white ivory or marble. I guess something went wrong along the way. I'll try and fix that. not really sure how tho...

craven:
    I'm not really sure what you meant by everything looking the same but I guess the sky does lack some depth/dynamic feeling. will try and fix that. Also will try and make the moon look like a moon and not like a sun

Iso:
    im glad the mood comes across.
    I get what you're saying about the surface glow. Will do.
    I won't go overboard with the highlights. Just meant to point out that i havent applied them yet. Nor any of the bounces from the red neon light.

I'll try and update by this weekend.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.