Sketchbook: [fae][1.06]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [fae][1.06]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

[fae][1.06]

my sketchbook thread / artwork junkyard

Thanks for taking the time to take a peak, chew me out, crit my crap, etc.

Cheers.
    FAE

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fae; January 7th, 2007 at 12:39 AM.

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome tammy!!!
    YAY first outside post in your book!!!! 8)

anyways, I already told you what i thought about the colorful ink studies up there... You're really throwing down the ink in an intense way, i gotta give ya the props on that--> it's a challenging thing to do but it's so extremely expressive. Of course, keep doing more work with the same intensity!!! Are you using like just inks or is there pencil preliminary lay-in? And the amazingly saturated colors you are employing are working out pretty well, especially in that painting. Keep it up and please keep us posted.

j

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; April 21st, 2006 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! Some unique stuff here! me likey. That messiness gives the art a whole new attitude.

Keep crankin'

"Wigga Wigga Nutshire"
    "How many quarters are in a dollar?"
    "...half and half, kinda like the cream, but I don't like coughy..."
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a very interesting style. Its rather hard to crit, some parts to become alittle amibious. Keep posting more, I am curious as to what you will do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Different style indeed with your figure work, very interesting. Some of them have proportion issues, don't know if its intentional or not. With your doodles, your figure does look like he has some anatomy problems. I like your painting with the little girl, very nice paint strokes and mood. I do feel that I could crop off the top third of the painting and the composition would be better. I am looking forward to more posts, so keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    due to unpopular demand (joel), I am updating some of my crap...
    all thoughts, crits, comments, etc are COMPLETELY welcomed with great anticipation!!! THANKS!!!

EDIT: REMOVING BROKEN LINKS TO CLEAN UP THE THREAD.

Thanks for the looks and thoughts!!!

Last edited by fae; December 19th, 2006 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey t!
    nice looking update, but did you have to call me unpopular??? What i've got like a whole bunch of friends. Just check out my-false-sense-of-popularity-space! Yeah, sure, most of them are inanimate objects, but THEY CARE!

shit, huge, huge dump.... gotta give ya the mad props for that...The stuff that i'm seeing here is showing mad, mad potential both in terms of your being creatively kicking out the ideas and in terms of your drawing style getting exponentially better with each of the drawings that you do. I like that you are really being ambitious with the subjects... monsters, tripped out anatomy studies, environments, and even modes of stylization. this guyis looking really, really nice, want to see more stuff like this from you ... it's like you are cooking up some really amazing characters --> the balance is way off though, unless he's leaning on something... If i had to recommend anything i'd say to maybe thicken up those impossibly thin arms and legs ever so slightly so that you can render them in and add character there. at this point currently, though the stylization is working really well, those parts of him fall apart, and, for instance, i really want to see the detail on this guy's hands and shoes. i bet the top of his cane looks really cool too.

wow, she's looking pretty sharp...i think that the colors that you have chosen on this one are superb, but are somewhat minimized by the harsh black outlines around everything...nice expression in the face. Ha ha, I saw this one on cinquo de sketcho and really wanted to get a closer look! it reminds me of some really nice el coro sketchbook pages almost! if you haven't seen his stuff, you should definitely check it out... think you'd do really good work in the technique he employs.

A big thing that i've got to mention is that i admire your bravery in crossing over the so-called valley in the middle of the sketchbook... gives you so much more freedom to draw large.

sorry i was late to cinquo de sketcho---there was no way i could have been on time unfortunately, though i still feel bad about it. wish that you and buddy could have hung out just a little while longer--> our sketching session in borders was awesome!

keep on keepin on <fae>!
    joelio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for such a full response!!! very very much appreciated- and yes, that guy is def. off balance! i kinda like his thin thin limbs, though i get your point.

the guy here's elbow is too high... and whatever else...

EDIT: REMOVING BROKEN LINKS TO CLEAN UP THE THREAD.

Last edited by fae; December 19th, 2006 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmmm.... talking about anatomy with these kinds of characters doesn't really work... but i can talk about them relative to one another... This guy is looking really good, and his features have the amount of substance to where it's a believable amount... you could conceivably finish these out, compared to the other guy where there isn't any information in the wrist because there's nothing there.
    joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "stop posting crap, fae"

yeh yeh =P ok here's a digital sketch i did in open canvas last night after being reunited with my tablet and spending some romantic time together... giving up bowling for such endeavors!

[fae][1.06]

I had done a sketch in photoshop too... and sadly, photoshop froze and quit on me and i lost it =(...

thx for crits and looks!!!

ps: I wish OC would work on macs...

Last edited by fae; June 16th, 2006 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey that's nice! it looks kind of like Kenneth though maybe i haven't seen his new grey hairdo. I know right??? friggin OC is hatin on us Mac owners. I want to collaboratively paint with folks too!

glad to see that you and yr tablet are back on good terms and are at least talking a little. You know... who knows? You two could have beautiful little tablet babies someday.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok... you gotta put up with this for a while...
    posting wips of a digital painting... was gonna be a speed, but i got carried away...

issues galore... and it's frustrating, but yes... the nose looks ridiculously bad... and much more to be fixed, but here's a screen for yo' viewin' [laughing] pleasuuure

[fae][1.06]

EDIT: gonna fix up everything and the hair too... =(
    EDIT2: and the crooked eyes...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, when I look into her eyes, she seems to be staring at me from an angle, but when I take a gander at her nose, it appears as if she wants to stare back head on...I do so dig those eyes...I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes...

I didn't get to manhandle your sketchbook at Cinqo de Sketcho, so I'm curious if this style is a departure from your usual work or if the earlier posts on this thread represent the departure? Questions, questions...

-A-Doll

Last edited by AnalogDoll; June 18th, 2006 at 01:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    based off some lil thing going on in some other lil forum... decided to play off the zombie-merged-pirate idea...

so here's the result of the playing... don't know if i'll leave it a speedish thing or take it further or how much further... but here we go.

[fae][1.06]

thx for thoughts and looks!!!

EDIT:
    here's an update:

[fae][1.06]

Last edited by fae; June 20th, 2006 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yet another edit:
    tried to get a little closer to stereotype "zombie" with a somewhat more crazed expression...

[fae][1.06]

EDIT EDIT:

[fae][1.06]

Last edited by fae; June 20th, 2006 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update already,

zombie-faced-punkadelica!

congrats on the new gig as breakup-woe-soother

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    um... let's see if I uploaded these right??

...so here's my slacker-attempt at appeasing my fellow moo-ers and postin' up a little bit of some of the junk i've been messin' with...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    k... so i was inspired by Artifex during our sketchsession to get off my lazy butt and work on a drawing/piece longer than a short time...

actually I don't know if I expected to really go this far with this, but here it is:

be proud, CATL, be proud =P

(There are still things I'm working out... for example, the bookstack (i messed it up more when I was trying to fix it right before leaving starbucks...) and the window (somewhere along the way I lost the curve... ) and junk... but ALL feedback would be great!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fae: Ah, the Wesifex inspiration is clearly there...And, I do like your take on the latern. Very much in mind of the suggestions I had for our mutual comrade.

I do like the surreal quality you have building in this piece. I see that you've still got some fleshing out to do and some compositional decisions to make, so I'll wait until your next post to see what direction you've chosen to follow...

As for a brief suggestion to consider during the between times: think perspective...

Give us something good.

[+]AD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The figure thumbnails a few posts up are really jammin'!

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll agree with Justin on the figure work a few posts up. The sketches of the girls are extremely professional looking. I find myself being jealous of the clean linework there. My stuff always looks really scratchy. There's a lot of personality in the girls' faces, too. Another weakness of mine I'm trying to work on.

Ah, I see the definite influence on the lantern from my wispwolf COW. My favorite part of the pic so far is the reflection of the lamp on the book immediately next to it. It pops! Remember that every light source directly in your field of view has a slight aura to it, and will color everything close to the edge of the bulb, there, so the scrollwork on the bulb should looking a bit orangey, rather than brown. It should almost look like it's glowing a bit.

Good work, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... ok... here's me cheaply playing around with painter... ... haven't had painter (and it was version 6 and 7) in ages... so here we go.

I know the nose is all crooked =\

...thx for looking! (and comments!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok... what i worked on last night at the CATL minisketchgroup... wanted to slow down a bit and spend a little love on a page... afterall... there was just too much good junk I had been browsing through here on ca during the day...

thx and thx!!!
    =FAE=

Last edited by fae; November 29th, 2006 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Jens---
    really appreciate the good crit/feedback you give!

as to how I approached it... oftentimes I do sketch out the whole thing first and work from there, but in this case I sketched in the eyes and nose lightly and shortly after the lips in between a little rendering and tightening up, then hair and laid in the face shape etc...

I actually really enjoy leaving parts of drawings unfinished... it makes it a rough drawing, i agree, and not like some finished quality piece, but I like the 'vignette'd look... where you show it in context, kind of, and then render out some parts more than others... it's kind of a sketch/drawing type thing...

As to how much effort/time I put into it... I definitely focused more, etc... but in my mind it wasn't a piece I spent a significantly long amount of time, etc.

Although... I have to admit... I get bored easily, and that DID threaten this piece a # of times... I stuck with it longer than I normally would a sketchbook page... and one thing that constrained it is that I didn't touch it after Borders closed and we finished our mini sketchgroup for the night.

I was also playing with the positive and negative with the hair...

Overall, just messin' around some and exploring--- though, if you could tell me what was lost/messed up/sucks from the way I drew it/approached it, etc... is it a matter of something being really off and being really bad, or is it just the matter of finished-ness? I just want to clarify so I can understand it better.

THX! =) cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

question:

hey tammy... it's a really nice piece you've developed there despite all the heckling last night... Can i put it in the catlsketchgroup.org gallery?

dude...good work. Get yourself an electric eraser and go to town. My favorite part has to be the kind of insane white streaks on the one side of the face... reminds me of some kind of mucha detail, and that's always a good thing to see.

and...We gots to do some midtown mini-sketch-group-lunch action at some point...there are LOADS of great restaurants around these parts! Atlantic station is cool because you can get good architecture + food + peoples + the obligatory guggen-midday-coffee-JOelLT that i need so desparately.

cheers and good job on that lady. her strong neck = so lovely.

O_O
    gug

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tammy....You know that it's okay to post art here right?...what about all that sweetness from USBC06?....come one, there is some killer stuff just dying to be shown off. Are those stitches on her eylid?...creepy. I'm proud of you for making this piece work, and not giving up....I look forward to "Actual finished artwork" on tuesday like you promised.

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok... an update for all you happy MOOs that keep buggering me about it! =P and a special callout to Jens who also has told me to get off my butt and post.

... a few (bad quality) shots of some random crap in my sketchbook... i'm lazy, so this is all ya get for now...

thx for lookin'!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tammy-Fae you are the value master of the CATL krewe...

That deer skull just rocks...And to see you render it so well in such little time was a real treat...

As for the rest of your recent update: I do enjoy your stylized work. You have a distinctive flair with which you bring your characters to life. I would like to see more of them in a separate series.

As for your studies/concepts/roughs - I like the mermaid the best...The reason being that you've included the detail of the legs either separating or joining together. It's not an outright fish tail, but it's also not two legs with little fins/flippers...That subtle detail speaks to me...

As for crits: Staying with the mermaid, you stopped at the hands and the face. There's a start to the hands, but they're not followed through. I know it may sound like a broken record, but just to drive the nail home: draws hands and feet. In your work, you focus a lot on the body and let the hands and feet remain sort of rough shapes...I'd like to see more fingers and toes...

All in all: Great work. Keep 'em coming.

[+] AD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man I knew this had to exist.

Your digital portraits are definitly the strongest pieces, along with some of the poses and such.

This thread deserves more art. So get to it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update:

#1. is old... a few weeks/months anyway... don't know what to do with it from here... so there it is...

#2. is a test piece that I was playing with and experimenting with... I will update later with a further explanation.

#3. is a picture of the mess that is my "studio" at this time...

Thx for looking!!!

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.