Thanks

Questions about Monitors:

This one is a different topic, but sort of ties into the other topic thread that i posted.

I have a compaq 17" monitor that i love! Its your normal, big monitor....and it still works beautifully. However i am thinking about moveing my computer set up, and its been mentioned to me that why dont i get a flat screen monitor to save space?

I have noticed that colors on a flat screen monitor come out very saturated or really bright. (my brother has a 15 or 17" Samsung Syncmaster 152N flatscreen.) and when coloring artwork on it, and then viewing it on a different monitors, reds are actually pink and so on.

Since this discovery i've been very turned off by flat screen's.

so i was wondering is there a way of makeing the colors not so bleeding bright on a flat screen without calibrateing your monitor? (i've heard thats expensive to do.) or something along those lines? i would like to stay with 17" or bigger...but yeah.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I donñt know much about this, but I´ll tell you this much, i used to work in an old syncmaster, 15"...and I´ll tell you that it didn´t show as much colors as my new TFT LCD...a Syncmaster aswell, that came with a screen calibrating software, some really nice options and an additional option called "magic color", that alows you to put two color configurations in the same screen...also is quite cheap...it gave me much more space to put my Wacom...and I love it.

If you are concern about seing the colors to bright in another LCD, maybe you should ask yourself if the colors displayed in your other screen are lifeless and unsaturated....or if is actually showing all the colors it can show, with their full potential.

Well anyways, good luck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittywolf13
    I have noticed that colors on a flat screen monitor come out very saturated or really bright. (my brother has a 15 or 17" Samsung Syncmaster 152N flatscreen.) and when coloring artwork on it, and then viewing it on a different monitors, reds are actually pink and so on.

Since this discovery i've been very turned off by flat screen's.

so i was wondering is there a way of makeing the colors not so bleeding bright on a flat screen without calibrateing your monitor? (i've heard thats expensive to do.) or something along those lines? i would like to stay with 17" or bigger...but yeah.
    I don't know how PCs handle this but the first step to try is to make sure that your monitor is using the correct profile. Also if you calibrate your monitor, it will create a new, custom profile that should display your colors correctly.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    I'm not satsfied with the quality and staying power of any of the flat panel monitors on the market right now. I plan on getting a 21" flat screen CRT though soon, since CRTs last and their only drawback is their size.

Thanks
    Just a summary:

CRT monitors - Have the best color you can get for any computer. They also have better contrast than LCDs. CRTs generally also are capable of higher resolutions than LCDs (but that depends on how much you want to spend). They are also huge, heavy and draw a lot more power (which matters to those of us who have UPSes). They have some other problems as well, like don't put one with it's back facing a cement or brick wall because some of the radiation from the cathode ray emittor always goes out the back of the monitor. When it bounces off of a brick or stone wall, it ends up causing interference with the image. How bad this is depends on your monitor (it's not as big a problem as it used to be with older CRTs). Interference in general is something CRT owners have to worry about. It can reduce the lifespan of your monitor though... which brings us to another shortcoming of CRTs. They don't last as long as an LCD most times, and the quality of the picture degrades over time though my once expensive 19" Sony Trinitron is still doing pretty well after about eight years. A cheap CRT burns out in a couple years. A good CRT lasts much longer, but costs much more.

LCD monitors - Resolution is lower and fuzzier. Brightness and contrast are not as good as a CRT. Color response is lower which means the number of colors that can be represented on an LCD is lower than on a CRT. And then there's viewing angle. LCDs do not look the same when you view them from any angle other than straight on.

But there's a bright side to LCDs too. They are small, light and drain less power. They last longer (generally). And if you are willing to spend more money (potentially a lot more), you can diminish pretty much all of their weaknesses. For instance, an Apple Cinema Display is basically a really nice LCD that has truly impressive color response, contrast, resolution and viewing angle. The cinema displays are basically designed with graphics professionals in mind... and the cheapest one is $799, the most expensive one is $2,499.

That's the biggest difference in the end. If you had an LCD and a CRT that for all intents and purposes were equal to each other in color response, contrast, viewing angle and everything else, the LCD would cost probably three times as much as the CRT. In reality, no LCD monitor, not even the high end ones, produce as good an image as even a medium range CRT, but the really good LCD monitors are good enough for even professional use (and have a professional price tag to reflect that fact). Even the non-Apple LCDs get very pricey once they start to meet the standards of a designer.

I for one always used CRTs when I did web and print design because accurate color response was very important when trying to get logos and whatnot to match each other online and in print material. Print designers really need a CRT and that's it. But for concept work, the accuracy of your colors might not mean as much to you -- it's not like you'll be doing Pantone matching or anything or calibrating your RIP for production runs. I'd still shell out for a half-way decent LCD if I were going to buy one though -- maybe not the Apple cinema displays, but something better than what you can pick up at the average Best Buy.
    Last edited by MEP; April 20th, 2006 at 10:59 PM.
    -------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Thanks
    I just got a 21 inch flat CRT and I m very pleased with it...
    as for color, there's some I didnt see on my screen adn saw it on a LCD and on some other LCD screen at work, it hardly ever showed some because they were too dark.

My monitor isnt calibrated also

I sort of opted for a flat CRT screen because my friend works at Autodesk in Montreal and he showed me their work stations. they tests their softwares (not only 3d studio max but mostly the softwares you cant just buy off the shelves, they are the one where you have to buy thier computers which are as big as freezers, flame, smoke, flare and others) on huge CRTs. He told me the colors are better and the respond time is faster... I dont know for speed but the colors are better when calibrated =P

Thanks
    hmmm i guess i should have mentioned that i use a PC. but for some reason no matter how much i read into this, it still goes over my head.

Thanks
    hmmm i guess i should have mentioned that i use a PC. but for some reason no matter how much i read into this, it still goes over my head.
    That doesn't matter. CRTs and LCDs all work with either these days. Macs used to have some proprietary connection but those days are long gone. The rules are all the same for both platforms. You could use an Apple Cinema Display with a PC (and I know many people who do because they're some of the best LCDs you can buy) and you can use PC monitors with Macs (I do).

CRTs (regular old TV-sized monitors) produce a superior picture and do so at a more reasonable price.

LCDs (thin screens that use the same tech as laptops) are small. You can get an LCD that looks good enough to do serious graphic work on, but it will cost you significantly more money than a comparable CRT.

Don't be fooled by words like "flatscreen" either. Flatscreen simply means that the surface of the monitor is "flat" and can be used to refer to either CRTs or LCDs so avoid using that term if you can. My monitor is called a "flatscreen" by the manufacturer simply because the surface of the screen is flat(ish) and not rounded like most CRTs used to be. It's still well over a foot thick though and weighs in at something around 30 lbs.
    Last edited by MEP; April 21st, 2006 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks
    , already got depressed with my current screen, guess ignorance is blessed, after finding out i didn´t knew anything about this y looked for some more info....and found out that LCDs also cause you head aches and turn your eyes into jelly....I must say i though LCDs where much better because i compared them to my CRT....wish is almost 6 years old, is so burned out that the screen looks way reddish, even in stand-by mode.( sometimes it even vibrates...)

All i can say is, thanks MEP , I guess I´m going to start saving for that Apple Cinema Display screen...and find a way to diminish the damage this screens do to my eyes. ( i bet they have some special lenses or something like that.)

Thanks
    If you get a flat screen lcd get an active matrix. They are expensive but have better quality than passive matrix lcd.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    All i can say is, thanks MEP , I guess I´m going to start saving for that Apple Cinema Display screen...and find a way to diminish the damage this screens do to my eyes. ( i bet they have some special lenses or something like that.)
    Whoa, don't thank me for that. I don't own an Apple Cinema Display. Like I said, you can get a CRT that looks just as good for waaay less.

As for your eyes... dude, just don't stare at it as much. Take breaks. Get up, go outside and remind yourself what natural light looks like once in a while. A fair amount of the time spent in front of a computer is spent doing nothing, in a sort of transitional stage from one task to another. Spend that time away from the keyboard since being at your computer right then isn't helping anyway. The trick is identifying when you're in one of those "wasted" interstitial moments and then get up and walk around for a while instead of just sitting there and staring at the monitor for no good reason.

Thanks
    MEP explains so well why I stick with CRTs until the day that LCDs can offer the same quality at a reasonable price.

Thanks
    yeah i guess i should stick with my monitor then...its old, and dominates my new desk...but it still works beautifully. *shrugs* I'll countinue to do research, because as of right now, i'm not doing pro-work so its not like i need the highest quality device.

Thanks
    ...for some reason no matter how much i read into this, it still goes over my head.
    Here's how I look at it: CRT monitors while big, heavy & bulky are an older and proven technology. LCD monitors are less heavy & bulky and are an up & coming technology that is rapidly catching up in image quality. You can get the same picture quality now in an LCD that the best CRT monitors display but will have to pay more than most of us can afford to get that quality. What this means is that for now, CRT monitors are a great bargain because they offer the best quality for the money, especially since most manufacturers & retailers are beginning to clearance them out to make room for their new LCDs which will become the new standard very soon.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    hmm...i think i understand, but i still dont know what i should do. oh well.

Thanks
    Let your wallet and available space be your guide.

I recently went from 19" CRT to 19" LCD. It freed up acres and I use a higher pixel count now (more space). The brightness varies a bit when I move my head up and down, it took a while to calibrate (I did it manually), and it was about $300. It looks good, though, and I'm glad I made the switch. Goods and others, like everything else.

Thanks
    where did you find out about this jelly syndrome sham? I had a crt before and my eyes used to get mad headaches all the time. The strain on them was sickening. Ever since I switched to an lcd my eyes have sex with me every night.
    Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    The Macintosh monitors are nice ones but in my experience not really superior - e.g. they aren´t basically hardware calibrated. If you´re looking for a good medium monitor that you can calibrate better look for example for a Formac or LaCie that have good calibration tools and cost less than the overpriced Apples.

And if you really want to pay something - the EIZO CG series is comparatively cheap for a good monitor in DTP and picture-processing quality.

My good old BARCO CRT monitor is finally at the end and after quite a reluctant approach to TFT monitors I decided to buy an EIZO because they are now as workable in an professional environment than the CRT one. Two years ago I wouldn´t ahve done it but the TFT monitors have taken on and are now better than most of the professional CRT´s I know.

In the Graphic industry and the image editing works the amount of TFT´s is constantly growing - not for the price (O.k. the EIZO will cost half of my old Barco) but for the better quality they now have.

Fipse
    <Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    yeah...my wallet is definatly speaking to me.

"You got laid off...flat screen, NO WAY!."

Blah. maybe future dreams...i'll consentrate on a scanner for now i guess, cause i DO need that.