C.O.W. - #043: The Most Useless Creature
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. - #043: The Most Useless Creature

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. - #043: The Most Useless Creature

Round #043

Topic:
    The Most Useless Creature

Deadline:
    Thursday, 27th April 2006

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx to Tom Garden for the topic suggestion!

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
    - No individual Character! Design a species!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm... if its useless, wouldn't it just go extinct? This will have to be an engineered creature methinks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Double hmmmmmm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    brilliant haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun fun fun!

Live is blur...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ow this could be fun
    Hope i have time and a gooood idea

"FAIL, FAIL AGAIN, FAIL BETTER"

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    concider the pampered fluffy domestic house cat
    wtf good are they?

but we love em any way
    c.rocks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL - omg, thankyou for accepting my suggestion, crap - this was the hardest of the ones i posted! I secretly wanted to do "the monster from lost" one

useless, hmmmm, damn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks
    wtf good are they?

but we love em any way
    c.rocks
    lol, nailed that one on the head didn't we =]

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wtf good are they?

but we love em any way
    c.rocks
    Actually they would do very well if you threw them out into the street, house cats are some of the best hunters in the animal world.

I think a better example is a chihuahua, now theres a useless animal if you ask me, I mean seriously, a rat could kill it, or a cat or snakes, or hawks, the list goes on and on lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think about how hard this really is, everything that lives in our world has a purpose, whether it provides oxygen, provides polination, is a food source for another animal, controls the population of certain insects or other pests, is used for transportation, provides protection, helps the ecosystem in some way....

maybe we can draw rocks with eyes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, this is a tough one. Consistently all the CoWs have 4 or less words within the phrase that serves as the project designation. Sometimes one of these words spawns visual imagery potent enough to easily fill in the gaps and make up for the lack of in depth description. Last CoW was a great example of this. The single word "blind" was all that was necessary to launch everyone into a creative maelstrom feverishly postulating on how a creature might survive without its vision and then furthermore how might it succeed as a predator. However this CoW wont be quite so easy.

There are so many problems to solve within this creature (incoming brainstorm session). First of all why is this organism worthless? In what way is it worthless? Is it the most worthless in just one aspect or overall? If its so worthless then why does it still exist? These are the kind of questions that have to be honed in upon and answered before any kind of drawing occurs. Furthermore such a creature design as this is going to need alot of thought into what environment it might fit into in which it could remain living but contribute nothing. Keep in mind this thing is the MOST worthless so it really has to be the antithesis of lacking worth.

It has to have no value whether it be monetarily, aesthetically, etc. It has to have zero usefullness, it serves no function of any kind. It is simply there for the sole sake of existing. It cant interact with anything because then it might inadvertently be of use if even through a chain of events. It cant exist within an ecosystem of any kind because then it would be connected and thus prove of some use. The only potential way a creature could be the most worthless would be for it to exist but be unable to interact with or be sensed by anything in its environment. Furthemore it cant benefit its own species, each creature is an entity unto itself. Of course this begs the question as to how they might reproduce as that would mean they are of use to their species. This will be a strange creature to say the least as it really follows none of the established laws of nature, everything is connected to each other in at least some way at some time or another. Good luck all, hope this helped at least some.

Last edited by Nexus; April 19th, 2006 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    prepare to get pwned, foz. let the games begin!
    cheers,
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nexus-- I would love you if you would learn to use paragraphs
    Ive heard a definition of a creative person as one who finds a "Use" for anything.. have any of you read the fourth book of the Prydain series "Taran Wanderer" ? theres a character in there whose attribute in life is that he finds use and blessing in every thing that comes his way.
    think about it
    this catagory is really tough. even a chihuahua (goddess forbid) has a use because it's person loves it.. and sometimes that person can't love anything else so the damn dog' s purpose is to teach the person to love
    tell me that's not important.
    so ... this is a really hard one...
    c.rocks

PS Ive seen a lot more of Red's Art than Fozz's... my money is on Red.. but that can change .. and of course Jakkas will make them all look like amatuers ..hehehehe ...hmm where's spell check when I need it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nexus-- I would love you if you would learn to use paragraphs
    Ditto

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, well it could only recently have become useless. This is really hard - i mean, you could paint something that looks useless, but i think this might come down to the reasoning for its uselessness.

But actually, for a good inspirational source of useless animals - check out "flanimals" by ricky gervais (yeh, the over famous bugger from the office) Its full of things that are very useless.

Think contradictions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tyranx and Chaosrocks I pruned down the impregnable hedge of my verbosity to three less imposing paragraphs. Hope it helped some. I just get to typing and I usually just forget about the whole paragraph thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol! thanks c.rocks! that's a crack up. but foz has got killa instincts...now that i called him out, he'll be hot on the trail....jakkas or no jakkas.
    cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranx
    I think a better example is a chihuahua, now theres a useless animal if you ask me, I mean seriously, a rat could kill it, or a cat or snakes, or hawks, the list goes on and on lol.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Chihuahas are the only animal on earth who can be used as a proportional measure of the size of post-atmospheric entry asteroids!! They are also used as a social barometer of a woman's IQ, the higher the Chihuaha index, the less intelligent the woman!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Hyptosis
    "Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    Damn man, is this phrase yours, or from soemone else??

Religion without science is blind, but science without religion is lame
    -Albert Einstein-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wtf good are they?

but we love em any way
    c.rocks
    You've obviously never experienced the therapeutic release of giving your cat a solid kick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus
    Hmm, this is a tough one. Consistently all the CoWs have 4 or less words within the phrase that serves as the project designation. Sometimes one of these words spawns visual imagery potent enough to easily fill in the gaps and make up for the lack of in depth description. Last CoW was a great example of this. The single word "blind" was all that was necessary to launch everyone into a creative maelstrom feverishly postulating on how a creature might survive without its vision and then furthermore how might it succeed as a predator. However this CoW wont be quite so easy.

Where your logic is leading me is to wonder whether such a creature, if it cannot be sensed by other organisms in the environment, can even be represented pictorially?

/me taps fingers together, Spock-like

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I agree with Tom, maybe it is useless because it no longer serves a purpose evolutionarily, and is on its way out....

When I think of useless creatures, I go straight to the Manatee.... YUHCK! What the hell good are they? Always getting in the way of my high-powered speed boats! Just die already!!!!!!

Whoa... sorry.... little peek into my world.....

Sea Cucumbers.... those are pretty damn useless......

There is one thing that none of you have thought of yet, but not sure if I want to show my hand just yet.......

-Sean

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How bout a creature that plays being a politian, king, god???

Religion without science is blind, but science without religion is lame
    -Albert Einstein-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea I think you guys are probably right. Probably best to scale it back a bit from the idea of something entirely and completely useless to something that is situationally useless. It was fun to try and think up something that was worthless to everything though. I still might try and go in that direction. I mean it could be kind of along the lines of the Noseeum. They arent really visible to anything in the real world but then you could expand upon that to include the fact that they dont benefit the real world at all. My first thought is something that exists in the same dimension but on a spectrum thats impercievable by everything. Perhaps its only purpose is to float about cause depression, ill-will, and migraine headaches. That would definitely be a creature that was worthless and in fact if I could see it I would kick it. Youd have to render it as if you could see it in its alternate spectrum of course, I dont think a blank page would count.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tribbles. Tribbles are useless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, I've decided to try make a COW. I did some random sketches ( I can only show one as the other ones wont upload, stupid photobucket!) I imaging like a giant mutant long haired persian as they truely are the most useless creature, and expensive too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But theyre so cuddly and they were originally pets before they bred like crazy. Rabbits will do that also if youre not careful. So they were completely useless at first but they become a nuisance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wtf good are they?

but we love em any way
    c.rocks
    about as much good as stupid azz dogs. but completly useless....can I just do a self portrait. pretty much the only completly worthless creature Ican think of.

Last edited by GratefulDread; April 19th, 2006 at 11:49 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1