C.O.W. - #043: The Most Useless Creature - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    seems to be britney spear's husband.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex
    The guy on the picture or Fozzy's creature?
    BTW FOZZ, COOL!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice fozzy !!!!!

cheers R3M

"FAIL, FAIL AGAIN, FAIL BETTER"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yes...foz is back with a vengeance. looks like i'd better get to work.
    cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit -- Revoking mine, too many good entries for me to clog the boards with mine.

Last edited by Hyptosis; April 27th, 2006 at 04:05 PM.
    "Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Malevorum (Final)

C.O.W. - #043: The Most Useless Creature

The Malevorum inhabits a dimension which exists in the same timespace as our own but because of the peculiar nature of its molecular structure doesnt interact with our own world in anyway except throught the occasional exchange of various energies. The Malevorum is essentially a psychic parasite. It spends its day floating lazily through the alternate dimension siphoning negative mental energy from the turmoil of the human population through its psi-umbilicus. It stores this negative energy within its ponderous abdomen and utilizes the energy as sustenance and to keep itself afloat. The Malevorum uses its large arms only to secure itself during powerful storms and its tiny hindlegs are the vestigial reminder of its once terrestrial ancestors. For the most part the Malevorum remains in a semi-comatose state and is only fully conscious when feeding. Unfortunately the Malevorum are so few in number that their feedings never alleviate the continual strife and negativity found amongst the human species. Even worse the psychic backlash caused by two or more Malevorum being in close proximity causes an influx of ill-will and on occassion migraine headaches. The Malevorum exists to sleep and feed, it gives nothing of itself and provides only pain.

Last edited by Nexus; April 27th, 2006 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dammit I just looked at Fozz's entry and we did the same fuckin thing with the exception of the alternate dimension. Bulbous glowing belly, eating evil, creating strife, etc. Theres like 20 different similarities. Sigh, well Im fucked squarely in the ass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great entries guys! This is one sweet round!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work Nexus. One last suggestion would be to look at the band of red nodules around his centreline. Assuming he is symmetrical, then they should be obscured by his belly as they wrap around the left hand (picture left, not creature left) side of the body.

Love the bubbly orange belly. Tops work.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

My portfolio review thread can be found here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINAL

STERMINIO
    ”The Heroes’ Doom”

“The harder you try, the better you are….for Sterminios it doesn’t work”
    ----
    ”How become a Hero for dummies”
    Chapter 5: When I should run?

“Did you ever saw a pinkie, sweet mist? Have you every taste the sweetness in the air? Did you feel like God? No? Anyway, when the day comes and you feel it…..just…..RUN AWAY FOR YOUR LIFE OR YOU WILL BE DOOMED!”

Sterminios lived in the higher levels of the Hell but Lucypher has cursed and banished them, because they were useless. They always tried to help the damned souls and they were bringing the Hell’s reputation to ruin. When they abandoned their old homes they spread over whole universe to “help” people. But they were cursed by devil and the harder they tried the results were worse. However, they have never given up and they try until these days. …
    ---

“Rollin’ Heroes Magazine”
    Interview with Dr NOONE

"…usually when you see a pink mist you can be pretty sure the Sterminio is in around. These creatures travel across the galaxy in searching for people in trouble they could help. Bigger trouble faster Sterminio arrives. Probably they have a “Trouble Detector”. Usually the biggest troubles in the galaxy have the heroes. Hahaha... [black character laughs].
    Anyway, Sterminios just want to help and their intentions are pure and….useless because they just can’t do anything good. For example. Last week I was on the burial of YO-MAN …you now? This black character… not black…...just black, because he had a black skin. Hahaha [black character laughs]... Anyway, he was good but he was doomed by the Sterminio. I heard that he was fighting with the 6 eyed, 4 legged, 2 armed and 0 brained Giant and he almost won. But in the critical moment he dropped his sword. Of course, in a few seconds, the battlefield was covered with pink mist and our hero discovered that he was keeping in his hands a beauuuuuutttiful shiny two-handed sword, a dream of every hero. He felt like a young god - strong and fresh. He jumped out of his hideout and started to attack…… Yap, this was the last thing he did. When he was attacking, the sword became pink and started to... sing a greatest hits of BEE GEES. Hahaha [black character laughs]. Yap, he died in the rhythm of “Saturday night fever”. Hahahahahahahahahahaha [black character laughs]...”

Last edited by JakkaS; April 27th, 2006 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh damn your right Simonl, I never even saw that. Good eye. Thanks, Ill fix that, still got plenty of time till the due date.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No worries!

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW really impressive work , this match will be a tough meeting.
    Look paints like that motivate me to improve .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is going to be a tough round.
    And we're not even at the half of the week yet!

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by JakkaS
    crits and comments are as always welcome.
    My crit is that you post in the Finally Finished section!! Really, if you made a thread in the Finally Finished section with your cow entries and others, it would be an awesome post. I know I already said it, I need to bother you until you do it! hehe (unless you already made a thread like that and I didn't see it)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex

If any of you can find a more useless creature, I'd love to see it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jakkas as always youve produced a great entry. A couple things are bothering me though. Some of the rough skin textures on body of the creature really flatten it out. The big scars especially need to curve more in order to get across the volume of the body. Also the front toes seem to be curving up for whatever reason, might be that it the follow the front curve of the arm so closely that it gives the illusion that his toes are curling upward. Kinda hard to explain, really. Other than those small things its a really great creature, good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Medusa
    Acctually the mosquitos are the most useless exsisting creature. If it died out it would have no effect on the world at all. It exists only for itself. Birds and spiders eat them, but they also eat other, more nutrisioning(sp?..word?), insects aswell. I heard that on a documentary on mosquitos.
    Nay, Mosquitoes ARE useful for something. They carry lots and lots of diseases, k? When they feed from somebody they contaminate the creature theyre feeding off, but in a minimal form. Therefore helping the creatures they sting to creature inmunity from hundreds of diseases that they'll never know that even exist.

Religion without science is blind, but science without religion is lame
    -Albert Einstein-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
    Hey guys. I dont usually post in this forum, but I check it out all the time because I cant get enough of the cool creatures you guys come up with. I think this is a great topic too. It would seem that every living thing on earth have some sort of use, whether its useful to humans or not. Its really interesting to see what everyone view as useless. Anyway, I thought that if I had to come up with something, it would be pretty difficult. I thought I'd try to inspire some of you who are having the same problem to get the creative juices flowing:

Yes that is K.Fed. douchebag.

JAKKAS: How long did that take u? Im sure its somewhere around ten minutes, can I just say I hate you. I hope to meet u though....so I can kick you in the nuts. beautiful work as usual. (sighs)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm something Ive noticed amongst CoW entries in general and especially this week. People are all in agreement that glowing and/or issuing forth some sort of smoke is totally awesome. Its like anything that can luminesce get plus 20 cool points. And of course if it can shoot smoke or steam or poisonous gas then well that just makes it even better. I dunno maybe Im off base here but it just wouldnt be CoW if someones critter didnt have glowing eyes, torsoes, nodes, ass, ears, dong, or some other bodily unit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not mine! My obese mole-rat is totally non luminescent. If he gave off light, he might be useful for something.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha true, not everyone of course but Im just sayin over the course of the weeks it seems to be a recurring feature. I think everyone is more of less fascinated with bioluminescence, such a strange but amazing biological ability.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's probably because people think it's cool you can pull that kind of trick off. "Whoo, that guy can paint smoke! He must be a genius."
    (Pardon the sarcasm, i'm under the influence of Monday morning atm.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fashion comes into it too. It's like the glut of grungy sci fi technology that hit in 1977 after Star Wars came out. Someone has a good idea and it gets flogged to death.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GratefulDread - Hehe, it would be great to make such a paintings in 10 minutes, but it took me a few hours.
    Nexus – Good point! I think I will try to make the skin textures more curved to match them to the body shape.
    Broken – Sir, yes sir! I will do that soon, SIR!

Thx for the crits guys.

------
    I don’t know what is the problem with the smoke – you could add a big stomach, few more legs, arms or eyes, you could make it unnatural big or small, you can add some fathers, glowing skin or smoke…..isn’t that’s all cool? I think, it is and these details make the differences between typical earth creatures and our designs. Maybe I am wrong but this is my point of view. I have fun with creation and for my it is enough. I like when people go crazy and the creatures are really amazing and unique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea I think your right Simonl, the scifi creatures of the 70s influenced alot of creature design today. Jakkas your definitely correct, that deviation from what we see typically in nature all stems from wanting to create something "amazing and unique". People strive to see things that have yet to see and as artists we get the joy of being able to create whatever we want to see right there on some paper or the computer screen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "My lord, Spawning Vats A through F report success. Each one has spawned a new race of horrors for your dread army. The creatures in Vat C actually tore apart the demon who opened it!"

"Excellent! Soon, my armies shall - wait, did you say Vats A through F? Don't we have a vat G?"

"Er, yes. But there seems to have been a problem with that one. Best not to worry about it. Now, Vat B - there's a winner! The things that came out of it are coated in a sticky acidic goo and have about a dozen tentacles tipped with highly poisonous stingers!"

"What came out of Vat G?"

"Vat F was pretty good too. Armor plating, breathes fire, razor sharp claws - great for your army. Yep, great for the army."

"What came out of Vat G?"

"Really, my lord, best not to -"

"WHAT CAME OUT OF VAT G?!"

"...these, my lord."

- The demon lord wanted soldiers for his army, and instead he got the Floofy Fuzzlug. The Fuzzlug is unaware of how big a disappointment it is, since it takes no notice of anything going on around it, being too distracted by the glowing thing hanging from its head. Its objective always remains out of reach, though, because the Fuzzlug is too stupid to lower its head. They're a complete failure - they aren't dangerous in any way, can't move on their own, and don't provide enough light to actually be useful. Worst of all, they don't even taste good.

Last edited by hwango; April 27th, 2006 at 05:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus
    I think everyone is more of less fascinated with bioluminescence, such a strange but amazing biological ability.
    About this, Dougbot's winner entry for the Simbiotic Predators round has bioluminisence, and its portrayed in such a cool way I think many of us have, well, tried to rip it off a bit in our own images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and of course Biolumnescence is inherently fascinating. Glowing tenephores. Fire flies.. I once did a whole Bio research paper (20+ pages) on fireflies. and who here has experienced the Magic of swimming in Phosphorescent Ocean water. It's amazing.

Of course there is the perception that anything supernatural or magic glows in some fashion. so one way to take a creature out of the ordinary world is to make some portion of it glow.

On the other hand, I think that some of what we are trying to do here is make creature who could concievably be in the ordinary world, they just don't happen to exist. So when we try to inhance our creatures we tend towards the visually stimulating surfaces and features (slick SimonI the master, glowing etc. ) thats part of why this topic is such a challenge as we are supposed to be drawing something that is inherently boring or actively disgusting...

and yes I have an entry I have just misplaced it temporarily
    Chaos Rocks

Last edited by chaosrocks; April 26th, 2006 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a really intriuging topic, and people's entries so far are quite humorous so far. I enjoyed reading them.
    Here's my entry:
    Arpuselarpess:
    To everyone's dismay, this creature hitched a ride to earth on a space shuttle. It is now a very big nusance to most eathlings and does not fit into any of earth's ecosystems in a productive way. This 2 inch long creature is Asexual and has a life span of about a week in which it can lay between 100 and 200 eggs. It's diet consists of paint and stucko off of houses. The creature is also highly poisonous for all earthly beings if eaten or if contact with skin occurs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updated my entry on post #98.
    good imagery everyone! fun to see what people consider as useless.
    cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.